I am constantly finding my simulator logbook entries deleted or erased

KrayCott AirCo

two most common reasons in my experience: [1] improper shutdown and [2] corrupted logbook file

The sim should be shut down normally to allow it to update files such as fsx.cfg and logbook. "normally" meaning using the FSX menu to exit, or normal Windows methods such as Ctrl+C, or the shutdown [X] in the upper right corner of the window frame and possibly Alt+F4. If you stop the sim with Ctrl+Break no files should be updated. I use this frequently when I'm running FSX/P3d just to check some feature or function and NOT doing normal flying.

If by logbook entries being missing/deleted you mean NO NEW entries have appeared from any recent flights then the most probable reason is a corrupted logbook. I've had it happen only once and it was repaired using one of the logbook repair tools downloaded from this site's file library. I don't recall which one since it was 6-8 years ago probably - but it did fix the issue. Just FYI, I've migrated my original FSX logbook to each new install since the beginning and only had that single corruption issue.

Good luck

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

KrayCott,

How much flight time do you have in the sim? What is the size of your logbook.bin file?

From what you describe, you have an empty or partial entry, that has frozen the logbook.

Usually a corrupted logbook, will prevent FSX from loading past the splash screen.

If the file is only one or two kbs, then just delete the file & restart FSX.

If it contains a sizeable amount of data (flights), rename the file logbook-ori.bin. (do not delete)

Restart FSX & it will start a new empty logbook.

Then follow llivaudais advice by downloading the logbook editor from this site....

If it is the one I think it is, it will not run on Win 10 unless you jnstall javascript.

Hope this helps....

Archived