New Member / SR-71 Video

ferrc5041

Hey everyone,

New member here, and just wanted to tell everyone I am glad to be part of the community and to say "Hello". My interest with aviation and flight began when I was a young kid and took in my first airshow. I came from a family of mostly engineers in various fields, but one of the coolest to hear stories from was my own Grandfather, who worked as an Engineer with NASA during the Gemini and Apollo days. My favorite aircraft would definitely be the SR-71... I was infatuated with this jet, as a lot of us aviation heads are, at just the engineering marvel it was... the records it held... and the collective knowledge and expertise that went into practice a half a century ago to make this bird. No matter what may come out next... it will always hold a special place in my heart of hearts for aircraft.

I am fairly new to flight simming, but it is growing on me very quick.

I made my very first flight video of taking my AlphaSim SR-71 up to around 90,000 out of Edwards.... I was seeing how far I could push its operational ceiling, but my KEAS was drooping into

the problematic range..... so I got her up to about 91,000 at MACH 3 before descending.... anymore loss of KEAS at that point would have resulted in an Unstart condition.

The video came out pretty good I think for my first one.... it is Full HD, and to the "Apollo Main Theme" music of James Horner... but I am looking next to upgrade some scenery as it looks pretty bland. It is about 10:00 long... but encompasses Engine Start, through checks, to Landing.

Anyways, I am thrilled to be a part of other aviation and sim heads around here...

Here is a link to the Video for those that would like to check it out.....

Till next time,

Casey

Outstanding video. You did an amazing job, not just on the video, but on flying the SR-71. It is not an easy plane to fly, especially being new to flight simming. I was fortunate enough to have been assigned to Edwards AFB for two years testing systems on the bombers. Quite often I would get to see one taxi out, along with a parade of support equipment and chase planes. It was always a sight to see them take off, and later land. Can't wait to see more from you. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Flight Simulation (er, Stimulation)

Intel I7 3770K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Nvidia GTX970, Realtek surround sound, 5TB WD Black SATA Drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really appreciate the reply and compliments n85,

Man, being stationed out at Edwards must have been a treat... to see the real deal taking off... I have seen one on display up in DC at the Air and Space museum... and

I stood there for a long time, taking it in.... it really is a work of art. My brother is ex Air Force and a pilot himself... so I have definitely know a lot of theory of flight being around him... so flying the SR in game came pretty natural. He was amazed too, at how "real" the Sim was set up to what he knows of the Blackbirds flight dynamics IRL.

Like a good engineer... I did study the flight manual of an SR pretty in depth to understand its limits... climb tables... approach.... it helped out loads, putting it to practice in the Sim :).

Speaking of bombers.... the loudest jet I have ever heard IRL was the B-1B... that was beautiful to see flying around....

Again, thanks for the compliments and welcoming me...

Take care,

Casey

Sometimes I really wish I had joined the Air Force rather than the Navy like I did... Lol.

Really would have loved to have been around aircraft... but my field took me straight

into power plant operations. It's good money.... but I have nowhere near the passion

for it as I do for aircraft...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video. But too short. Would have been nice to watch you do the 'dippsy doodle'. I had to watch it twice as the music put me to sleep the first time (hehe).

You can hide mouse pointer if you used Fraps. Press 'Alt' for 3 to 5 seconds to get rid of bar (top edge). Press & Hold Spacebar + move mouse for panning around aircraft (much smoother that hat switch). Add joy botton assignment for 'Snap to Panel View' (which is Shift+NumPad 0 (zero)) so you don't have to cycle thru other views.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived