AFCAD 2.21 suddenly won't link with FS 2009

JonBuck

I've had FS 2004 on my computer for years and have had no trouble with AFCAD v2.21 linking to it. But since installing FSX and FSUIPC4, the old version on FS 2004 refuses to link-up with the FS9.

Have replaced 2004 and AFCAD 2.21 with older backup copies from a period before FSX & FSUIPC4 was installed, but get the same results. FSUIPC.dll is in it's proper place in the Modules directory, however even the older versions won't link with the sim. :mad: (Haven't tried to install AFCAD on FSX yet, but don't think that has anything to do with it. )

Now I'm wondering if the FSX version (FSUIPC4) could have something to do with it...something with the registry perhaps? Can you have both FSUPIC and FSUPIC4 installed?

Can FSUIPC4 be installed in FS 2004 as well as FSX? I'm stumped...has anybody else run across this problem?

JonB :confused:

I think you may have solved your problem yourself!! FSUIPC Version 4 is for FSX only and does not work with FS2004.

However, I cannot see why you shouldn't be able to have V3 installed into the FS2004 folder system and V4 into the FSX folder system. I have searched the Windows Registry on my system and cannot find any references to FSUIPC there, so I would presume that this would not be a problem either.

Dijvid

Can FSUIPC4 be installed in FS 2004 as well as FSX? I'm stumped...has anybody else run across this problem?

No - there are separate versions. You need the latest version of FSUIPC 3.xxxx for FS9 and FSUIPC4.xxxx for FSX.

Thanks for the response, guys. Understand FS9 and FSX require their own FSUPIC install.

So I managed to find FSUPIC v 3.999z and installed it in my FS9.

All seemed to go correctly, but unfortunately AFCAD 2.21 still won't link up.

Re-installed several times. It loads the airport, but no FS9 link and it doesn't respond to any keystrokes smoothly either...very slow and jerky. Could that be a clue that it isn't installing properly? What should I look for?

As advised, I ran FS as Administrator and in compatibility with XP Service Pak 3, but it made no difference.

Am I missing a step here? Should I be changing something in FS9?

Funny thing...I went to my laptop, which has only FS9 installed, and did an AFCAD test to see whether it would link up.....and it did, normally! Could this be a a clue that something has happened with FS9? Maybe FS9 is the culprit!

Still stumped!! Jon :confused:

Hi Jon

Can't be of too much help here but I don't see how it can be anything to do with the installation of AFCAD 2.21 as you just copy the executable to wherever you want on your hard disk.

However, have you considered installing the freeware ADE9X available from Scruffyduck? If you are comfortable with using AFCAD then you won't have any difficulty with ADE9X and it is a much superior program. It has almost everything you can think of for designing and amending airports, is regularly updated and has full support on their forum. Wouldn't be without it myself!!

Hope this helps.

Dijvid

Hi Dijvid!

First off, many thanks for you help, it's much appreciated.

No, I haven't tried out ADE9X but if I can make the same modifications to airports as I can/could with AFCAD I will certainly give it a try. One of my main interests in the FS is creating more realistic and authentic-looking airports then the ones FS9 gives in it's default/original version, so something like AFCAD or ADE9X is a vital tool.

Been trying to track down the cause of my peculiar no-link problem with AFCAD. Cleaned off FS9 and re-installed it using the old version of FSUIPC..but got the same results. Then remembered that I had installed some updates for Win7 from Microsoft so I did a system restore to an earlier date to remove them, thinking they might have caused AFCAD or FS9 to not link up; but tried it out afterwards and no improvement...still wouldn't link up and acted rather jerky. So that's not it either!

Rats!!! Then I remembered that I had recently installed some apps to my desktop which allow me to use FS9 and FSX with my iPad to practice ILS and GPS instrument landings, something I need to do them frequently to keep current for my job with the Coast Guard, This home-brew arrangement saves me from having to buy an expensive stand-alone simulator for training (home-use models cost about $2,500 today).

I now think that the culprit lies in those installed apps rather than AFCAD, FS9 or Win7. And since it's more critical to keep my approach skills up, I'll do the airport modification work on my laptop, which doesn't have those apps installed, and copy them to the desktop...or try out your suggestion of ADE9X.

Guess compromise is the answer here.

I appreciate your time and effort in helping me sort this frustrating mess out.

Thanks to the forum and folks like you I'm still fussing with this cantankerous old outdated program. Would have thrown it out years ago otherwise!!

Thanks again Dijvid. Hope I can return the favor some day.

Jon Buck

Hi Jon

Many thanks for your kind words but I'm not sure that I have done that much to help you!!

Anyway, do give ADE9X a try. I don't design airports from scratch myself because it is so time consuming - almost a hobby in itself!! - but I do use it to place static aircraft at airports and airfields which would otherwise be "ghost towns". And I also use it to correct anomalies like ILS frequencies, runway and lighting data, etc., where the sim no longer matches real world charts. As Jon Masterton, the developer, says ADE9X brings together in one place most of the tools needed for design work which before required the use of several different pieces of software.

Have fun! Cheers!

Dijvid

Archived