Slow, non responsive FSX

glw

OK thanks everyone. I made some tweaks and made sure I had all the updates for everything including windows and it is running a lot better. Still I think I will buy a new rig so I can take full advantage of the various addons. I don't relish the fact of transferring everything over to a new computer though! if anyone has some input on what I should look at as far as specs are concerned I would definitely appreciate your help. thanks everyone.

if anyone has some input on what I should look at as far as specs are concerned I would definitely appreciate your help. thanks everyone.

Take your budget and look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Pick a CPU with the highest affordable single thread capability. Keep in mind the latest CPUs will require Win 10 unless you hack the OS. And that's a whole other endeavor.

FSX and FS2004 is a CPU oriented game and to make matters worse it's only single threaded. .So in large part it doesn't matter if you have multiple cores or not.

You don't need super fast RAM, so don't even bother with that unless you're super into overclocking. And with my experience with overclocking my own computer I didn't really see much of an improvement. So I deemed it not worth putting extra heat, wear and tear on my CPU. I think overclocking is just a bragging thing for the most part.

Buy a good reputable PSU. You don't want junk. If the PSU goes out it could take your whole system with it. I like Antec myself.

There are all kinds of things you need to consider. Just create a thread when you're ready in the hardware section. Make sure you post your budget and where you are located. Because if you live in the UK then you obviously can't buy from Newegg for example and the prices are going to be vastly different.

Archived