The difference between the Sim and real life flying

If you have payed for the full version of FSUIPC, there is a small LUA script that makes a HUGE difference in how the sim treats the ground friction when taxiing.

It's called Frictions.lua, and is included in the LUA download from Mr. Dowson's forum titled Example LUA plugins.zip. His forum has the instructions of how to add LUA scripts to FSUIPC, so they run when it starts up. There is also a PDF included in the folder FSUIPC Documents, which FSUIPC installs when you use it's installer, that explains LUA scripts in detail, and how to install them to the FSUIPC4.ini file. Very easy, actually.

Lua scripts will only run with the full, payed version of FSUIPC, though. If you use the freeware version, like me, you're SOL, but you can adjust the .air file, as Mr. keefpee found. You have to adjust it on a per plane basis, though.

Just adds to the fun, though. There are some interesting things in the .air file.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

As Mr. Keefpee said in Post #25 above, it's Cn_dT(T) Yaw Moment Thrust in block 1101. Go to Record 1101 Primary Aerodymics. Look down thru it until you find the section marked YAW. Under that is an entry titled Yaw Moment-Thrust, 0 *or whatever it might be. Change the 0 (zero) to something else. A 2, lets say. Or a -1. Don't go crazy. It's best to make SMALL changes in .air file entries, in general.

Save it off, and see what effect the change has on the airplane you're adjusting for.

You either need to completely change aircraft, then change it back, OR, you can use the Reload User Aircraft key combo.

There is no key set assigned to it by default, so you'll either need to assign a key combo, like SHFT+R, or whatever, or you can assign it to a joystick button. I did that as I reload often, testing various changes I've made to an aircraft.

Something to bear in mind: If you use the Reload key combo, you must have all AI Traffic turned off, or the sim may not completely read all the aircraft's .cfg files. You can't have any AI aircraft, road vehicles, ships, nothing. You must set all Traffic sliders full left.

Does this help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Yes it is. I use it extensively. Great little guide.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found this recently https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/flight-dynamics-in-msfs-v1-0.169/download

by Yves Guillaume, very useful even if I/you don't understand the maths.

This is beyond my understanding. I don't know what those math symbols even represent. I'd like to adjust the F-22's yaw while taxing for that in real life. But I don't know what numbers those would be.

You don't NEED to understand the math involved, but it helps. Yves gives a short explanation of what each entry he lists is for, and how to set it correctly.

I gave you the info you need to adjust the taxi properties the way you want, and Mr. Keefpee gave you some example numbers. The ones that work for him. Start with 0.03 and adjust as needed.

May I ask what air file editor you're using? I recommend AircraftAirFileManager. It works very easily, and has an explanation of what many of the entries do, and what adjusting them a certain way will do.

The nomenclature in the AirEd air file editor I have is slightly different than in AAFM. in AirEd, it's listed as Yaw Moment-Prop Effect On Rudder.

Just go slow. Some air file adjustments just take a lot of experimenting, and that takes some time. Worth it when you're done, though.

Remember to turn all your Traffic off, before you reload the plane to check the changes you made. If you don't, it may not read the various .cfg files, including the .air file, completely. Or at all.

Does that help. CRJ?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CRJ, That value of yaw quoted may be of no use to you with a nosewheel & a jet aircraft - no thrust effect on rudder. My leaning is towards the nosewheel steer angle in contact points for a first try.

Dont have much experience of nosewheel types I'm afraid.

Good luck

Keith

Archived