Nooooooooooooo

And Bingo! It's in the rain drops folder called rainDropps.BGL. Now need to see how it does its magic. Very interesting. In the readme with broken English he states it needs good CPU power. So anyone using this beware.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sascha66
I downloaded the raindrops and added them to the generic scenery, but I can't see anything yet. Has anyone got this to work?

I downloaded the raindrops and added them to the generic scenery, but I can't see anything yet. Has anyone got this to work?

Sascha Did you throw the fx_raindrops.fx along with the other Files into the Effects Folder? The only one that should matter is fx_raindrops.fx if you don't plan on using the scenery but I'd double check to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

Correct. The bgl is calling an effects file called fx_raindrops.fx. I haven't tried this yet. The bgl should go into addons/scenery. Also, the effects file needs fx_1.bmp from textures. I didn't see that in the zip so I assume it's in the Sim by default. I'll have to check.

Guest Sascha66
Hmmm, the effect fx_raindrops.fx is in the effects and the fx_1 is in the effects/texture folder. I'll tinker with the weather settings and see if i can see any raindrops sometime. Thank you!

Hmmm, the effect fx_raindrops.fx is in the effects and the fx_1 is in the effects/texture folder. I'll tinker with the weather settings and see if i can see any raindrops sometime. Thank you!

Easy solution Sascha, Get rid of the Umbrella.

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

Also Try and see if it at-least shows up at the scenery it was intended for, although for me it shows up worldwide. Install the scenery then bring in the rain, (Remember No umbrellas) Otherwise the effect becomes Useless.

If it shows up at the scenery location then you know its working. If that's the case and its still doesn't show up worldwide, Report back, and I may have a solution as to why its not showing up worldwide in your Sim.

I'd have to look and see if I May have another add-on that triggers the effect to show up at different locations but Id have to test and see if that's the case.

And always remember, on those rainy nights, to tie her down good!

:rolleyes: :cool:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The effect file is made to be used regardless of what position you're in. Either cockpit, spot plane view or map.

I need to look at the BGL, but I'm pretty sure if the effect is placed in the main effects folder and the BGL is placed in the add-on/scenery folder, it should be world wide. But it is possible for the author to limit its area with coordinates in the BGL file. If that's the case I might be able to make it world-wide, though it's been a very long time since I messed with writing my own BGL files. I used to create shooting stars and auroras all over the place back when I ran FS2004. In fact, I had shooting stars when I made a landing at Area-51. It was as if I transported to a new realm of reality that mimicked something from the TV shows Falling Skies or Under The Dome. LOL Since then I removed that effect and raised the shooting star elevation and made it occur with about a 1 in 5 chance of seeing it for realism.

I have always wanted to make a BGL file for shooting stars that covered the globe as by default in the Sim it's especially rare if you see one at all. With my BGL your chances would increase a slight more and the world would be covered instead of just localized areas. I have yet to see any auroras in FSX, and I've flown to the South Pole, North Pole, all around Alaska and its islands, Greenland and Iceland. Not even a shooting star there either. I saw one, just one for the first time near Aruba top part of South America.

Well, this BGL has a MDL withen it. I looked at the MDL and it's a blue cube with a shadow. I don't know anything about MDLs, but this effect is not working. I'll have to install the airport and see if that works.

Edit- Okay, I installed the airport and still the rain drops don't don't work. I have found out that in Luderitz, FYLZ\Scenery its self is the raindrops bgl. So that means he has provided the rain drops bgl for use world wide in its own folder for the user. This tells me the bgl is FS2004 compatible only. Plus, the manual states the airport is for FS2004 only as well. I'm using FSX.

Edit 2- I found nothing in the library comparable to this under FSX.

Don't understand why the Effect isn't working for you guy's But here's what I will do Below are the Paths to how It's installed on mines as far as the Raindrop BGL is concerned along with fx_raindrops.fx. (Continue reading for a possible solution)

X:\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Freeware\Random Freeware Pack_1\Luderitz-FYLZ\Luderitz, FYLZ\Scenery\rainDropps.BGL

X:\Flight Simulator 9\Effects\fx_raindrops.fx

I Don't now how or where this came from: X:\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\rain.dll but I leave it alone, It must be an old Module from a previous Sim only beacuse it requires an entry to be made in the FS9.cfg file in order for FS9 to accept it.

[OLDMODULES]

rain.dll=1

Now as to what may be making a difference, I'm not sure 'BUT' I Do realize that By pressing (I) on the Keyboard using the following Add-on's (more details below) Smoke System entry activates and dis activates the effect of the raindrops as well, (Although it is created by a different Author)...Could just be on My Sim but it's worth a try if you wish to give it a go.

This Ad-don can be used to produce a Nice Haze on the ground during Snow or Rain precipitation and can be Activated and Di-Activated By pressing (I) when the Smoke System is entered within the Aircraft.cfg of your preference. It also produces a light but still somewhat visible, somewhat 3d,snow fall effect on your screen. (This is where the Snow Flake and Snow Fall textures included comes into effect)

It comes with an (Effects.cfg) and (Blizzard.fx) that must be placed within your [Effects folder] also the (snoflake.bmp) and (snowfall.bmp) to be placed within the FS9 Main [Texture] folder and the (Smoke System) to be entered into the Aircraft.cfg of your preference (it's all included with the wintry Ad-On) by pressing (I) somehow tigers the raindrops to show up World Wide.

The File Name is winthzfx.zip Available here @ the Library.

And always remember, on those rainy nights, to tie her down good!

:rolleyes: :cool:

Pat☺

I wont forget next time I Promise........:cool:

I Know Aaron said something about rain.dll being a Fix so i did some digging in the Avsim Library and manage to find the File Rain.dll it is indeed for the previous version Sim FS2002 and you can downloaded here ----->https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=rain.dll&CatID=root&Go=Search

Important: Make Sure to enter the following within the FS9.cfg file before using the Dll

[OLDMODULES]

rain.dll=1

Read my previous post for the other ad-don sascha above. Make sure to put the Umbrella away before looking up otherwise you might miss it.

Other's you may want to consider that may be implemented into the Blizzard Effect i Mentioned above are snow_effects.zip, rain_effects.zip https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Brian+Neeld&CatID=root&Go=Search

And there you have it :-)

Final Conclusion I believe all this is Implemented within the winthzfx.zip I mentioned Above and indeed has everything to do with the RainDrops.

Rain Effects.jpg

Boy, this is one bugger of a project. I wanted to read the rain.dll and I tried Resource Hacker and dotpeek and it won't read it. I wanted to see what was under the hood. It was created way back in 2003 so maybe that's it. I'm not sure this will work in FSX. I did convert the bgl to fsx and I'll go ahead and add this dll and see what happens. the rain.dll makes it so that you don't have to activate the smoke system. It's automated when it rains. I thought there was something missing with this bgl and effect file since I couldn't understand how they worked when it was raining.

Well, I tried and failed. Either it's the rain.dll or the raindrops.bgl, I'm not sure. I'm betting on the dll. I did compile the bgl to FSX format and I have added the dll to the modules folder, wrote the entries in dll.xml and fsx.cfg, and in fact FSX asked me if you wanted to trust the module. Still no go. I may have a gander over at the site that supports ADE and see if one could help me develop such an add-on for FSX.

Guest Sascha66
Don't understand why the Effect isn't working for you guy's But here's what I will do Below are the Paths to how It's installed on mines as far as the Raindrop BGL is concerned along with fx_raindrops.fx. (Continue reading for a possible solution)

X:\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Freeware\Random Freeware Pack_1\Luderitz-FYLZ\Luderitz, FYLZ\Scenery\rainDropps.BGL

X:\Flight Simulator 9\Effects\fx_raindrops.fx

I Don't now how or where this came from: X:\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\rain.dll but I leave it alone, It must be an old Module from a previous Sim only beacuse it requires an entry to be made in the FS9.cfg file in order for FS9 to accept it.

[OLDMODULES]

rain.dll=1

Now as to what may be making a difference, I'm not sure 'BUT' I Do realize that By pressing (I) on the Keyboard using the following Add-on's (more details below) Smoke System entry activates and dis activates the effect of the raindrops as well, (Although it is created by a different Author)...Could just be on My Sim but it's worth a try if you wish to give it a go.

This Ad-don can be used to produce a Nice Haze on the ground during Snow or Rain precipitation and can be Activated and Di-Activated By pressing (I) when the Smoke System is entered within the Aircraft.cfg of your preference. It also produces a light but still somewhat visible, somewhat 3d,snow fall effect on your screen. (This is where the Snow Flake and Snow Fall textures included comes into effect)

It comes with an (Effects.cfg) and (Blizzard.fx) that must be placed within your [Effects folder] also the (snoflake.bmp) and (snowfall.bmp) to be placed within the FS9 Main [Texture] folder and the (Smoke System) to be entered into the Aircraft.cfg of your preference (it's all included with the wintry Ad-On) by pressing (I) somehow tigers the raindrops to show up World Wide.

The File Name is winthzfx.zip Available here @ the Library.

Ok, I think I now have all the files you listed. I'll try this evening. Thank you for walking us through this!

Well, I tried and failed. Either it's the rain.dll or the raindrops.bgl, I'm not sure. I'm betting on the dll. I did compile the bgl to FSX format and I have added the dll to the modules folder, wrote the entries in dll.xml and fsx.cfg, and in fact FSX asked me if you wanted to trust the module. Still no go. I may have a gander over at the site that supports ADE and see if one could help me develop such an add-on for FSX.

Aaron stop trying...FS2004 Only hahahahaha :p

Archived