Jet Engine N1 N2 and Aircraft.cfg

jetblst

Ok,

So I have got the hang of Fuel Flow Scalar, Thrust Scalar, Inlet Area etc. I finally have the Engines on my Beechjet running like they do in the RW aircraft. Fuel flow, Spool up, etc.

The one thing I cannot seem to tweak is the N1 N2 Ratio. Right now they virtually mirror each other (in sim) which simply is not the case in reality.

What needs to happen is that N2 should not be spinning near as fast as N1 see photo.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/jetblst/FullSizeRender_zpsdb629f22.jpg

Is or are there any edits I can make in the aircraft.cfg file? Or is this an air file thing?

Thanks so much.

The only N2 setting I know of for the aircraft.cfg file is under the [TurbineEngineData] section, the line: rated_N2_rpm=29920.000000, which number, btw, it seems to pretty much be the standard number for FS, but can be changed without penalty to reflect the real world (I do). Otherwise you need to get into the .air file. I can look into it if you desire.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks Phantom! I am adjusting the air file via Air Wrench. If need be my next step will be to manually edit the file via (whatever one uses to accomplish this) LOL Newb here. But learning.

I have not noticed anything new by changing the N2 RPM yet in both the air file or the config file. So that is where I am at so far.

I use "AirEd by William M. Roth" for manual work on .air files. it has some great information "attached" in the form of an info selection if you r-click a record. Just set the .air files to be opened with AirEd (like notepad opens .txt files, etc). It works well for me.

Check for record #1532 *Turbine EPR

in the .air file. Add it in if you need to, or copy it from one that works. There are a "Copy to Clipboard" and "Add From Clipboard" selections when a record is r-clicked. I think you can figure it out...The Info selection labels it as the "Engine pressure ratio calibration".

I'm pretty sure once you get the N2 set, and this section is correct, you ratio will be as it should be. I may well be wrong, though, I often am, but it works for me!

Another hint: If the bird is supposed to have AB's, you have to set them up in the .air file. 2 or three settings. I fly the military birds a lot so I always make sure that's in there. Same for prop/structural deicing systems, a few other things the Aircraft.cfg doesn't address. Bear in mind that Aircraft.cfg settings over ride .air file settings. I try to make mine match...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Well I have been reading and trying all kinds of things. Nothing gets that N2 to budge. I wish there was more to explain the numbers and relationships in 1503 and 1504. This number means this, that number is there because this formula did this, etc.

Not sure what you meant by check for record 1532. Did you mean do a google search or check and see if its in my air file?

Section 1532 EPR in Air file is 'Exhaust Pressure Calibration' and not 'Engine...'. Just saying.

You need AirEd program to edit the Air files (FS98 to FSX). No other program will work. AirWreck is not the 'ideal' flight dynamics edits program and, in my opinion, does NOT do an accurate job. It's a 'stop gap' tool when you don't know anything about flight dynamics, or don't know what values to manually modify or change. I do my own. But I do not get down to changing N1 / N2 ratios or rpm, etc as I don't know if it is possible to do (due to limitations of GAUGES and the code used, etc. and not the Sim that is to 'blame'). So learn to change GAUGES to get correct readings. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Maybe mine's wrong, but when I click "Info" on record 1532, it says "Engine Pressure Ratio". I presume that's correct, or is my "info" file out of date? I'm always willing to admit a mistake made, and they are legion, no question, but I just know what mine says, not what may be "correct" or the latest "Info" file settings. I'm using AirEd V1.5, but if there's an updated or improved version, I'd be glad to hit it up :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use Ver 1.42 (and will NEVER use ver 1.532) which may explain the difference. And, it could be that 'exhaust pressure' and 'engine (exhaust) pressure' is actually pointing to the same thing. So there is no error I imagine (I pick up my yellow flag, put time back on the clock, and blow the whistle) so back to playing.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

EPR is the ratio of inlet pressure to exhaust pressure using several probe positions for instance PT1 v PT7,in the TF-33 engine. The letter N comes from an engineering formula "PLANK" a formula used to determine the total cubic inch displacement of a internal combustible engine.

Archived