Goodbye FSX - thanks to Window 10

Joned

If you are worried about Google and other's snooping read a bok called "future Crimes" by Marc Goodman. It will lay all your fears to rest. If you use a PC, an Alexa, a phone, or whastever, they know more about you than you know about you and other than crawling into a hole then pulling the hole in, you'll never change it now.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Hi

I don't understand why so many people have issues with Windows 10, its almost like

there is some "windows 10 hypochondria" going on here. I have been using windows 10

for 3 years now, I have FS 2004, FSX and FSX-SE installed, and have been running all

of them, plus the usual add ons, without any problems :confused:

I tuned my Windows 10 using the principles outlined in Nick Needhams, excellent Windows

7 install procedure, including cleaning out the crap that comes with any windows install,

disabling Cortana, adjusting the virtual memory allocation, setting the page file system,

and all the other little bits that are outlined in the procedure.

I have installed the MS group policy editor and switched off automatic updates, I disabled

windows defender by installing Avast antivirus software, I followed the instructions in the

bible to the letter, I run everything from Alabeo GA to PMDG heavies, ORBX scenery,

FS Open, and many detailed airport sceneries, I have my frame rate locked at 25 and apart

from a few stutters in busy areas, it all runs fine, no VAS, no BSD, no waiting for ages for

things to load, it just works :)

I only carry out an update once I have read its purpose, and checked what its impact may be,

and do I actually bloody need it. As far as security goes, IMHO, most of these updates are just

trying to fix something that, for the average user, is totally unnecessary. I run a decent antivirus

and run a Malwarebytes check once a month, and have never had a virus or any other malware.

I understand that it is very easy to led by the nose into conforming to what these corporations tell

us is the thing to do, after all, they are the experts, but invariably the only people it benefits is them,

not us! I know some people have issues with Microsoft Windows, going back to XP and beyond, I don't

know why, I have been using FS since 2004, and have never had problems, but then again, I am not a

sheep and am quite happy to plough my own furrow, I have learnt by my own mistakes, but the result

is that I now have a system that runs FS as I need it too, without any issues at all.

I am aware there is no magic bullet to running FS, but to keep blaming the OS is missing the point, for

sure FS is not the most up to date programme, but it will run fine on modern OS, I cant be the only person

that has a good, stable system that just works as it was designed too. Perhaps it may be time to look at

other areas, instead of automatically jumping on the bandwagon and blaming Microsoft, just look at the

bigger picture and be prepared take a few risks and try something different, be a wolf not a sheep:o

I have included the link to Nick Needhams bible below, it is worth a look, and if you decide to give it a go,

follow it to the letter, do not miss anything, it has always worked for me. One other thing I found out many

years ago is, if you have an empty texture folder in your add-on scenery folder, delete it, apparently FS will

look in this folder constantly when its running, and will not let it go, which I am told eats up memory.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant, but so many people seem to waste time blaming the OS, when perhaps

its not always the culprit ;)

cheers

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Sorry if this seems a bit of a rant, but so many people seem to waste time blaming the OS, when perhaps

its not always the culprit ;)

The problem with Win 10 success can greatly vary depending on hardware configuration especially running older games. Many old games and software simply will not work period, that will happily work on any other OS. FS appears to generally run fine for many people. For those with problems, you can never rule out Win 10 as the source of the problem. Hardware can make a huge difference using Win 10 and success will vary user to user.

Mark Daniels

My dislike of Win 10 comes not from the OS but the Attitude of M/S. I built this dual boot system in 2015 with the express purpose of continuing with a solid Win7 OS while allowing myself to 'ease' into Win10 (I did much the same with the XP to W7 transition) - one day while 'testing' W7, I realized I hadn't been back to XP in over a month. Now the next step is starting to follow the same pattern: I took W10 down off the shelf, dusted it off, allowed all those missing months of updates, updated apps and utilities, SkyrimSE and Star Citizen, started flying FSX SE and P3D 3.3 regularly and, much as it 'pains me' to say it, I don't think I'm missing W7 at all. I built both OS's following Nick's guidelines and both run all my games without issue. It's been years since my last OOM (probably in XP with its 4G of Ram). Why so many people have such off-the-wall problems has been a great mystery to me over the years. I hope I have one more self-built machine in me before I turn 80 and have to give up playin' with toys... I guess I'd better make it a good one!

just my 2¢ worth

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Archived