Desktop to run FSX?

Azwildcat

I have a 12-year-old who loves flight simulators. Not really a gamer. Want to get him into something just kind a dedicated to FSX or any other simulator he chooses. I’m a Costco guy, so I saw this one at my local warehouse. Had great luck with HP over the years. Is this sufficient to run FSX Steam Edition without any major issues? THX!

https://m.costco.com/HP-Performance-Pavilion-580-137c-Desktop---AMD-Ryzen-7---4GB-Graphics.product.100377698.html

I get:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://m.costco.com/HP-Performance-Pavilion-580-137c-Desktop---AMD-Ryzen-7---4GB-Graphics.product.100377698.html" on this server.

can you post the specs (maybe a screenshot is easiest. Even better if you can simply use copy paste!!)

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think you'll have any significant issues as long as there are no high-detail add-ons used (like PMDG aircraft and very complex scenery). The CPU will ramp-up to 3.7Ghz under load which will be fine for a default FSX installation. And, the graphics should be OK too as FSX really doesn't put much of a strain on the GPU. Boy, would I have loved to have a computer and a flight sim when I was 12. He's a luck kid..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Here it is Top Gun:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor at 3.0GHz

16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) RAM

Drives:

1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

DVD-Writer

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

Graphics & Video:

4GB AMD Radeon RX 550 Graphics

Communications:

Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.2

Audio:

5.1 surround sound

Keyboard:

HP USB Keyboard + Optical Mouse

Ports:

3x USB 3.0

1x USB 3.0 Type C

2x USB 2.0

1x HDMI

1x DVI

1x Display Port

1x Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack

Multi-format Media Card Reader

Seems pretty good.:D

Hard to be specific. I only checked out the CPU and that's good. (Although features list missing many options, but no idea how much that matters or what most of those do. And don't feel like lots of Google searching for that info.

looked up the cpu on Google to this page:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-7-1700

Large SSD also good.

I'm not up to date with the AMD videocards. Most people prefer NVidia cards for fsx. And like to combine those with an Intel CPU. But some say AMD is fine. Andmaybe you can pair an NVidea card with an AMD CPU. Actually, come to think of it, at one time I had an AMD cpu and an NVidia card. And I never had any specific issues with compatibility. Never noticed the card not running well either.

(I did not use the NVidia inspector program yet at that time. hat's a utility tha only works with NVidia cards and is a way to set graphics options much more precise then with the normal menu's. That program is the main reason people playing fsx want NVidia cards.)

Would have been very glad to have had that when I was 12. Was playing games only DOS at that age. Not even sure there was a cpu in that thing!:)

Thanks for posting the specs!:D:cool:

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the input. I’m slightly computer illiterate so it really helps. Also, do you think I’d have any issues running multiple screens at a later date? My son is in multiple flying organizations here in our town. He’s going through the Sportys class right now. He lives, eats, and breathes anything aviation. Im trying to make sure he has a good step up.

I’m slightly computer illiterate so it really helps. Also, do you think I’d have any issues running multiple screens at a later date?

If you are already thinking about adding to the simulation experience, do some more studying. This can be a very simple hobby or a very complex one with a lot of variables and levels along the way. The one very important nucleus is the machine. If it is struggling the experience is not very enjoyable. Then you will spend more time trying to get it to work smoothly and less time flying.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I know stretching across 2 or 3 displays is possible with nvidia graphics cards. You would need one that has 'nvidia surround'. Probably a nvidia GTX card. (not gt)

I'll link a thread that mentions surround. But there are probably better ones. Maybe easier to find info on it on Google.

Setting the software and screen resolution up well can be tricky. You would best (have to) use 3 (or other number of) exactly the same screens. (make sure the screens have the required connectors that match the card.)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?308577-Zoom-Issue-Unable-to-Zoom-Out-Enough

AMD probably has something similar.

But I forgot all I knew about AMD cards. As I said, almost everyone here uses Intel processors and Nvidia cards.

Me included. I built my pc three years ago. It has:

Intel 3570k

nvidia gt430

the processor is fast. But my card is much older. I bought that 7 or 8 years ago. It does have 3 connectors, but it really only works for one screen at a time. The connectors are simply different types, making the card usable with almost any screen connector.

Some things Gtx cards can do and my gt card can't.

They can work with more then one screen at a time. They can combine two screens into one large one.

Another option, you could start with a cheaper simple card and one screen. It is quite easy to later upgrade to a better videocard. Once you know more about what you want/need.

It could well be the card you have allows for 3 screens at a time and combining to 1 display. As I race I'm not up to date with those cards. Look up the specifications of it and read other people's experiences. Google.

If I were you I would choose Intel/Nvidia. Amd focusses on many processor cores, and those hardly get used by fsx. Fsx runs mostly on one core. And for that Intel have the fastest processors. Best get one with a base speed 3.5 ghz or above and 4 cores (or more).

I can imagine that's not what you were thinking of. (And more expensive too.).

I listed what you want if you are really invested in fsx.

It's well possible to learn computers and play games, even fsx, on a lesser desktop. Fsx will just have less good graphics, less smooth flying. Also detailed addons for fsx will not work on it.

It's a tricky one. You could get him playing it on a bearer pc. (Or on one you already own.) He could well not like fsx. And loose interest. In which case the pc doesn't matter much.

If if likes the game and catches the bug, he will eventually want that better pc. Although getting to that point could easily take 3 years.

il.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Things to look at before adding a new video card to a factory-built PC:

o Can the power supply support it? Both wattage and available connectors.

o Will the card physically fit in the case? (some are too big).\

o Does the motherboard have an available/proper slot to hold the card? (not all do).

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived