Aircraft Selection Screen Suddenly Messed Up.

ColR1948

This has just happened, it has been OK since I installed FSX ages ago. Yesterday some of the aircraft are showing the wrong picture in the selection screen.

I have 'All' selected in the menu, if I select Manufacurer, they show up OK but obviously the others are missing.

In the screenshot you can see some wrongly named aircraft, when I scroll through they are all like that.

I tried letting FSX re-write a new FSX.cfg but that didn't cure it, any ideas please?

Selection.jpg

Since all thumbnails are named 'thumbnail', no matter what ac it is, you must of scrambled your thumbnails somehow. Rename all 'thumbnail.jpg' to 'thumbnail.jpg.bck' and run FSX. The pics will be missing but I bet you can load the ac you want (going by text description). I never have heard of this happening (except maybe Zippy) so it's a mystery to me too.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Looking at Google search using description of your problem I gather that your last install is probably the cause (ie: thumbnail is corrupted).

Double click on the lastest install(s) thumbnail until you find one that is corrupt. Delete it and make your own when you restart FSX. That is the simple solution. But finding the corrupt jpg (or bmp, as FSX will use either one) will be your 'task' (and don't we have plenty of THOSE!) and require patience and deligence (ie: time). Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

That is a problem now, When this happened I had a couple of extra folders in SimObjects, I thought maybe it was that causing the problem, so I put ALL my aircraft in the Airplanes folder, this included AI aircraft and Sea Planes which I had separate.

Any way that wasn't the fault, I wish I hadn't done it now but it is too late.

Looking at Google search using description of your problem I gather that your last install is probably the cause (ie: thumbnail is corrupted).

That's correct, one of the thumbnail.jpg files is corrupted.

As you can see on your own pic, the thumbnails and descriptions are shifted by one (1).

pdy6EES.jpg

At the beginning of your listing (AgustaWestland, Airbus,...), they will probably align correctly.

Look where the "shifting" starts, and you'll be much closer to finding the corrupt thumbnail.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

That did it! It was an Airbus 380 Cargo, I took it out and everything lined up, thank you.

This is the culprit:

[General

atc_type=Airbus

atc_model=A380

performance=This aircraft is free on the internet\nCopyright to Camil Valiquette\nThis product could not be sold\nNO SALE PERMIT: IF YOU SEE THAT LINE\nPainter: Camil Valiquette\nhttp:\npages.infinit.net\/camsim\nDesigner: Camil Valiquette\n

Category=airplane

388abmx9.jpg

To be honest it was David 'Opa' Marshall that helped solve this problem back in 2008. Not me. I just googled and found some posts and put info here (not being sure if that WAS his problem). But it helped, I guess, which is all we are trying to do. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

I installed it in FSX Acceleration and I got the 'model could not be displayed' notice and the FSX crashed. It's not GMax it's a 3DFS model. FS9 sees it as 'Not Compatible' so I added 'No Frame Call' line in FS9 cfg before loading it in FS9 and it loaded and looked ok. No VC. Hard to handle on taxi. Did not fly. There are other free A380's out there for FS9 and FSX for me to worry about this one not being able to port over. I rarely fly tubes anyway. I'm out.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi Col,

It's not my intention to beat a dead horse here but I do love a mystery. I added the Airbus folder to my Airplanes folder and ran FSX and saw this:

Airbus.JPG

As there was no thumbnail.jpg this is what I expected. The strange images and associated text shown in your image is still baffling. I'm assuming you've made multiple changes that I'm not aware or and I am feeling sorry for that dead horse so I'm not interested in pursuing that any further.

But here's the main reason I'm posting; if you have System protection turned on for the drive that FSX is on a System Restore, to a point prior to when you added all of the other aircraft files to your "Airplanes" folder will put everything back to where they where.

If System restore does not solve the problem it's completely reversible so you have nothing to lose.

Jim F.

Hi Col,

If you have a "Computer" icon on your desktop and you right-click it you should see this:

SysPro.JPG

Well almost this as I've clicked on "System protection" on the left to bring up the "System Properties" window. It shows that I have system protection on for my G drive as this is the drive I have FSX on. It's turned on by default for C and if you scroll down you could see that.

If you then click on System Restore in the pop up window you'll see the points to which your system can be returned to. Text files are not protected so they're not affected but most other files will be put back or resurrected as the case may be. You can even empty the Recycle bin and the files will still be returned. The only problem with FSX is .cfg files are treated as text files so these are not restored to where they where prior to any changes.

I frequently see recommendations to delete FSX.cfg and let it rebuild but this is almost always a bad idea. This is not fixing a problem but masking it. Usually the problem is with the saved default flight and the problem will recur and the problem will happen again when the aircraft or whatever caused the problem is again replicated.

I won't be at the computer for a few hours but if you have further questions I'll get back to you.

Jim

Archived