New Mega scenery Maryland version 3

jlbelard

I received a recent email from Mr Ferraro, PC Aviator CEO asking me to buy their latest version of the Maryland scenery which is according to him a huge improvement over the previous version... As you can see on the comparative shots posted on http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/bellus1072, it appears that the newest version is just clearer (as opposed to dark) or paler and do not look any more precise.... I sent a couple of emails to Mr Ferraro, his design and tech support staff, to see if they had the same results, and surprisingly I did not get any response from anyone in this company which calls itself the flightsim company.

So go check the comparative pics between the old version 4x and the newesr version 3 and if you own the older 4x version, do not waste your money. Also do not waste your time trying to get feedback from PC aviator, I should have taken a look a couple of reviews on this website https://www.yelp.com/biz/pc-aviator-loris before contacting them.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns both versions

Jean-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

I received a recent email from Mr Ferraro, PC Aviator CEO asking me to buy their latest version of the Maryland scenery which is according to him a huge improvement over the previous version... As you can see on the comparative shots posted on http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/bellus1072, it appears that the newest version is just clearer (as opposed to dark) or paler and do not look any more precise.... I sent a couple of emails to Mr Ferraro, his design and tech support staff, to see if they had the same results, and surprisingly I did not get any response from anyone in this company which calls itself the flightsim company.

So go check the comparative pics between the old version 4x and the newesr version 3 and if you own the older 4x version, do not waste your money. Also do not waste your time trying to get feedback from PC aviator, I should have taken a look a couple of reviews on this website https://www.yelp.com/biz/pc-aviator-loris before contacting them.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns both versions

Jean-Louis

Megascenery has had a number of scenery versions, so it's confusing. I agree that their new version 3 is not an obvious improvement over their previous version 4X, and also not an improvement over their precious "Ultra" version. But Ultra was only for a few city, airport terminal areas, and 4X was also only offered for a very limited number of state areas.

So I think that Megascenery's new version 3 should probably be viewed as a replacement for Megascenery's previous version 2, which was offered for every state. I've compared the version 3 against the version 2, and the new V3 does have higher resolution with noticeably better clarity than with V2. The colors are also different. Whether or not the V3 colors are an improvement, or whether or not it's worth spending additional money for the V3 when a person has already purchased the V2 version, is a subjective decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, MegaSceneryEarth V3 products are updates to the V2 products. As someone else has mentioned, it is debatable whether these new products are actually improvements over the previous version. My experience has been that the colors and contrast has been enhanced in the V3 products (which also use more recent source data). In the V3 for Maine, for example, my opinion is the scenery over populated areas tends to be "washed out," while scenery over mountains and wilderness areas seems a bit sharper. (In comparison to V2. ... Actually, I prefer V2.)

I also see that some errors found in V2 have been corrected, but not all, and a few new ones have been introduced. (For example, islands missing in V2 now have mysterious patches of light blue sky where they should be, etc.)

But V3 is not intended to replace the "Ultra" or "4x" products, which are intended for use at lower altitudes and limited areas (because the files are so large!) I own several of the "Ultra" and "4x" products, and they are clearly superior to V2 and V3, at least to those of us who prefer flying "low and slow."

I have decided not to Maryland V2 with V3; I own the 4x products for NJ and Delaware and the Ultra Cities package for Baltimore/Washington, and these newer versions work seamlessly with Maryland V2 and look great ... I did a flight from NJ to VA down the Eastern Shore yesterday.

Archived