Which is the best Windows version for FSX?

Badger

• 4 weeks later...
I'd say windows 7. If you don't want to worry about certain add-ons not working, don't do windows 10. and windows 8... it... just... no. Note that this is just from my research, and I haven't ordered FSX yet.

+ 1 on the comments made by Jorgen at post #33......

I have been using W10 for a while now, on two rigs both with FSX installed, and have had only ONE issue relating to an add-on.

Yes there are some issue regarding add-ons not working but they are related to issues that can be overcome and, once installed, any of the add-ons that work in XP/Vista/W7/W8 work fine in W10.

The main issue (and the only issue that I have encountered with a single product) is related to some older products (pre mid 2009) that are on CD/DVD and rely on Digital Rights Management (DRM) tools, such as SafeDisc) to protect/validate against pirating. MS removed a tool called SECDRV, which allowed the disc DRM tool to function, from W10 and disabled it in Vista/W7/W8 via a windows update file. All the versions of Win listed, including 10, have various ways of 'fixing' the issue if one chooses to do so. However, any post mid 2009 CD/DVD based products are not affected and the advent of downloadable digital copies of products mean that the problem actually only affects a small number of the FS simming community, although the problem is more widespread for other non-FS related products, including many popular 'games'.

Other issues that can cause 'add-ons' not to work, and even FSX itself, are also all easily overcome and are often related to missing/corrupted 'essential' libraries, as early versions of common libraries are not included in W10 by default. A prime example is Direct X (DX) - FSX (and many add-ons) use DX9 but a fresh vanilla install of W10 only comes with DX10 and later. Some who upgraded (i.e. did not do a clean install) to W10 from W7 or 8 with FSX installed also encountered issues as the update process corrupted the current DX9 install. In both cases it is easily resolved by simply downloading and installing the latest DX Redistributable pack form the MS website.

W10 receives a lot of criticism for many reasons, some valid, but that is nothing new - all versions of Windows have suffered it. However, IMO the vast majority of criticism is often based on hearsay, false information or simply because a 'individual' doesn't like it and/or disagrees with MS's policy on marketing, auto-updates or privacy issues It is also often evident that some of the criticism clearly comes from someone who has chosen not to install it/try it.

Regards

Brian

Well, I started out with Windows 8, then got 8.1 when that came out, and after waiting for about 3 months after Win 10 came out I switched to that, and have never had an issue with any versions even from that early on.

But I did my homework, and installed what Brian points out above, namely the DirectX Redistributables and also the various redistributables for the Visual C++ packages and the .NET Framework.

Also, I don't use Windows the way MS apparently decided on in a moment of Major Insanity (the tile interface), but I run everything from my desktop, just like back in the old days with XP Pro.

And it runs fine, even with a ton and a half of add-ons, mostly freeware, and really lots of AI. It takes a while to start because of all the AI and autogen, but once up it just runs. But, I will say, it takes a lot of tweaking in FSX.CFG, and I'm still tuning that.

It's worth the effort.

Jorgen

Again, I fully concur with Jorgen..........

@ TheAwesomeCobra - The issues you have heard about are not specific to a particular version of W10 - the core processes for all versions are the same, the different versions only offer additional functionality above the basic 'Home' edition that have no real effect on the apps installed. For example, in the basic 'home' edition Windows updates are automatic, whereas, the Pro edition allows you to select and defer window updates for a short period of time before they are automatically installed.

Like Jorgen, I waited a while before going to W10 - 6 months for the first rig (which was an upgrade from W7) and a further 3 months for the second rig (which was a clean vanilla install over W8). And, like Jorgen, I run mine using a 'traditional' desktop.

As he has pointed out, doing some 'homework' first will be beneficial irrespective of the OS used - all have issues that may affect the running of FSX. Many of the issues specific to FSX (and, indeed, older versions of the sim and other non MS sims) are simple fixes and well documented within the forums here and also over at other sites like AVSIM etc.

I will add to his last comment regarding 'tweaking' the FSX.cfg - this is not a W10 related thing as 'tweaking' of the file is required in all versions of Windows including XP (on which FSX was originally designed to run) and is more to do with getting the best from your rig based on its specs. However, also note that 'tweaking' is an individual thing - there are those who run the sim without any tweaks whatsoever whilst others 'run' with as many as possible. 'Homework' is again a key part of the process - a particular tweak that works for one may not work for another and, as Jorgen intimates, it can be an long process of trial and error.

Regards

Brian

Seems pretty clear to me, I am still using Windows 7 and with my FSX it's only taken me ten years to figure things out Ha! And I am still learning what works best.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Archived