CFG problem

gypsymoth

That is called 'formating'. I do it. I add '//' for the space between sections. There is no white space between sections even down to the 'views' sections in MY cfg files.

I also fix floats. Here is the floats for whatever airplane that is that won't cause crash on push back. I went by the gear positon to place the floats. Let me know if they worked. This is a jpg so you can't copy/paste. But the 'correct and relevent' info is there.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Notice that the rear floats have 'steering' so all you need to do to steer while in the water is to use your rudder. Too easy.

0_Cnt Pts Fix.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I sometimes have to alter the points especially if the aircraft is a few inches above or below the ground, sometimes just the nose wheel is burried.

I'm not too sure on the other figures to be honest, I often wonder what the info actually means when you see the 'floats and scrapes' I mean if it doesn't have either why are they there?

I just re-read iL88's post above, it gives an example of what the figures are, all this time I must have missed that, it isn't always there on some contact sections.

I recently read that the use of a space before and after the = can sometimes not be read by the sim, I have never noticed anything either happening or not happening when having a cfg that has been written like that.

I had a cfg not long ago and on every entry there was a space before and after the = sign, I don't know the reason it was written that way but it looked a bit strange.

So has anyone else had a problem by having a cfg written in this way?

This is from the beautiful Mike Stone's Shorts 360 (Aer Lnigus livery !!) that flies superbly.

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar =1.000

parasite_drag_scalar =1.000

induced_drag_scalar =1.000

elevator_effectiveness =1.000

aileron_effectiveness =1.000

rudder_effectiveness =1.000

pitch_stability =2.002

roll_stability =1.000

yaw_stability =1.000

I can't remember where I read it about the spaces = thing, it was on a forum recently, the poster said it can sometimes make the line not read by the sim, but like others have said I too haven't had a problem but thought I would ask to clarify.

Space after = does not matter. Sim will still read the line (value) even if it is 20 spaces (like when some modelers use TAB spacing - which is wrong!) away from = (sign) in ANY section of cfg.

BUT, space in filename is wrong and will not work. IE: 'concrete=fx_ sparks'.

And zeros (0000). These are 'ok' and be read by Sim but are not 'norm'. (1). 001.00000 (2). -0.0 (3). 0001.0000000000000000 .

What spacing can do is aid in spotting punctuation (, or . ) errors primarily in cnt pts section.

For belly landing ('gear up') you first need to turn off 'crash detection'. Then you can use floats as 'cnt pts' to prevent the fuselage from going into the ground. You will get sparks so you also need to turn that off in (effects) section. (ie: 'concrete = fx_sparks.boo'). Don't use 'dummy' - that doesn't work - sim reverts to 'default'. '.boo' works. '.boo was 'invented' by Bill Lyons way back when. You can leave the 'dirt' effect as that is ok.

Here is my demo YT video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrXKnCcEdg

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi ColR,

I only just saw your reply in post 27. Yes, not only is th e info about the points in the file. Every infoline has a number.

Above the list of points is one additional line,

//------------1-----2----3---etc

That matches the info.

The points are spaced out, so they form nice columns. Makes it easy to look up when you want to make a change.

Want to increase nosewheel steering angle?

Look up in list, it's item 7,

point 0, as usual, is nosewheel,

find point0, look in column 7, and change it. Easy.

Making the columns takes a little time. But then it becomes much easier to edit points.

Be aware, if you select a different font in notepad, the columns could become misalligned again.

Best is to make decimal points line up vertically.

The file example I gave is the b737-800 from FSX. Default plane, but not the default values. It's been edited here and there.

It was not to share these point values. It was just as an example of the point clarification section. And how spaces are useful.

There was an error in the screenshot. The 'Class' info. Now corrected.

Here's the info section. You can copy-paste it and add that to your .cfg's above the contact points if you want. Be aware, this is for FSX. not sure if FS9 is the same.

// (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum
//0  Class                        
//1  Longitudinal Position        (feet)
//2  Lateral Position             (feet)
//3  Vertical Position            (feet)
//4  Impact Damage Threshold      (Feet Per Minute)
//5  Brake Map                    (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
//6  Wheel Radius                 (feet)
//7  Steer Angle                  (degrees)
//8  Static Compression           (feet)  (0 if rigid)
//9  Max/Static Compression Ratio
//10 Damping Ratio                (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
//11 Extension Time               (seconds)
//12 Retraction Time              (seconds)
//13 Sound Type
//14 Airspeed limit for retraction     (KIAS)
//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

//--------0------1------2--------3-------4----5----6-------7------8-----9----10----11---12---13----14-----15--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well to each his own but the first thing I do is REMOVE the legend lines and the numbers line. They rarely ever line up with the values below anyway (ie: extra work and wasted space).

I was in a silly mood so I made floats for the cnt pts you did post - just for fun. And in case you want to try doing a water landing, yet not 'crash' the ac due to 'bad' cnt pts placement.

And oh, the cnt pts 'work' the same in FS2004 as they do in FSX. No difference at all.

Chuck B

Napamule

You don't increase 'realism' by making changes to the cnt pts. Either the cnt pts are RIGHT or they are WRONG. No wiggle room allowed (in my book). But... you can 'get by' with marginal cnt pts but it won't do anything to or for any 'realism'.

And the 'scrapes' only declare where the parts (nose, wing, tail, etc) are SUPPOSED to be (as they also can be wrong) yet that will not cause anything to 'happen' unless you have crash detection on and then you might 'crash' into the hangar 20 yards away from plane's wing tip. I remove scrapes for certain types of 'sim objects'. Like boats, ships, amphibs, tanks (dah) and vehicles. They serve no purpose when they are left 'on' for these types.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived