Windows Updates; how necessary are they?

CaptainTower

The message about 'windows not genuine' it self could be coming from a virus.

Try using AVG rescue disk to scan for virusses.

It is an .iso file you download (on a clean pc preferably)

You burn the .iso to a CD.

You boot the computer from the CD.

The CD contains a linux version, so a complete operating system. It does not install anything on your PC. Linux just runs in memory, so the AVG that is also on the CD can run.

That way windows isn't started, and virusses already on the PC can't run and mess up the scan, since they can't run under linux.

A menu pops up to start AVG.

You run the program, and first update the virus defenitions.

Then you select 'scan' and select all drives.

Select all scan options. Then select 'start scan'.

It's a very sparse menu, nothing flashy, no mouse just keyboard. To navigate through the menu's you use arrow keys, to select items press >SPACEBARENTER<.>

The rescue disk automatically removes virusses it finds, and reports suspicious files. It's wise too check those files later. You can't save a report, so use a camera to take a picture of the results screen.

Simple but effective. The CD is used also by AVG staff that visit buisnesses to install AVG on location. They use it to desinfect PC's before they install AVG.

Tip, The linux on the CD couldn't find my onboard ethernet (for the defenitions update). I installed an old ethernet card I had and then it worked fine.

AVG rescue cd (free btw):

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avg.com%2Favg-rescue-cd&ei=xBifVJejKcbCPPWYgagF&usg=AFQjCNF2pNFnVaOrwqlqz0HJU1hHf6bl3w&bvm=bv.82001339,d.ZWU

PS,

I agree that installing updates is the way to go. When security risks are found in windows or other software, updates are released to patch them. To keep your system secure you should install them.

About the trust issue. Who do you trust to know best, the manufacturers of the software, or random people on the internet...

I see many threads everywhere of random people advising not to install updates and never to trust microsoft. All nonsense. I believe much of that nonsense is generated by people that know that if they can convince you, you will be at risk!

And I can clearly see the process happening here. Someone convinced you microsoft is evil. Since then you believe everything bad happening to your PC is their fault!!! It is not though. Your previous graphics card probably just overheated and died. (Happens a lot with playing fsx :)) However, you thought, what risky thing did I last do, and that led you to blaming microsoft. Wrong conclusion. It was just coincidence.

I actually spend half an hour every one to two weeks to update all programs. I just click 'start' and go down the list. I start a program, check the version, check the manufacturers site for a newer version and update if possible. Then on to the next. Time well spent.

About NVidia, occasionally windows decides to update the NVidia driver and that does not go well so those I regularly check, download and update manually.

I use AV, Firewall, and have them running while playing fsx. Never an issue. Computer still blazing fast, if anything it's getting faster.

I had only two slowdowns in the last 12 months, both from trojans.

(win 7-64)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very interesting, Malcolm. I have a friend who was an HP technician for years. He and I often talked about the things you touched on in your post, here. Most PC users have been well trained by Microsoft: "Just shut up and install the update...we pretty much know what's best for you. Trust us..." My friend and I both used to complain about the fact that, after running a factory recovery on our systems, as we did each batch of Windows updates, our computers ran slower and slower. Some Windows updates do help. Others actually hurt the computer. After a recent factory recovery of my Windows 7 x64 computer, I dutifully installed all the Windows updates (around 200, now). Next I started the install of my Brother printer drivers. The setup process started as usual and then, after a couple of windows, just stopped. No error messages or anything; the setup just stopped. I rebooted my computer and started again. The same thing happened. After nearly an hour of fooling around, I ran the Recovery again, this time installing the printer BEFORE I did any Windows updates. The driver setup disc ran perfectly this time as it always had, before. There was another small program that I had used for a long, long time that would not install either. It was the same way: no error message, the setup went just so far and quit. One of the many, many updates had screwed something up. There were way too many updates for me to try to figure out which one(s) had caused the problem but one or more updates certainly was the culprit.

Now, after a factory recovery, I install the SP-1 and set Windows update to NEVER check for updates. I am currently in the process of experimenting with this phenomenon. I realize there will be some Windows updates that I do need; but how to know is puzzling.

Thank you,

Tim

ASUS GL 12CX; Intel i7 9700K 3.6 GHz; 16 GB GDDR8 Memory; System BUS 2660 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6; Windows 10 Home x64

Malcom,

"Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe MS Flight Sim will only work on a Mac through a "Windows Emulator"??? If that is indeed the case, would not the sim be slowed down slightly since it has to operate through an interpreter??"

I think the intent of the poster was to get your attention realizing short of jumping OSes, your best long term solution is the use the pathway your manufacturer provides for keeping your OS secure. FSX on Windows is obviously the way to go, but you have to follow the rules as a result of that commitment. Your Win2000 has only survived by being offline. It has a history probably being the most vulnerable and exploited OS MS ever created. It took MS many years to address the mess they created with the introduction of NT and bundled MS programs integrated into the OS (in the name of speed and efficiency.)

Tim,

" I dutifully installed all the Windows updates (around 200, now)"

I have installed hundreds of OSes as a system builder and when faced with the updates, again my solution is to cheery pick them rather than the mindless garbage dump. First I click the Name checkbox at the top to turn them ALL off, then select ONLY the security updates, then work from there doing the big ones like IE, C Runtimes and DotNet LAST. I have not had any trouble installing drivers not needed to obtain the updates after this process.

This may sound repetitive after so many posts I've made, but I cheery pick the Linux Fedora auto updates too. At least in Fedora, full auto is NOT Yum's default property which forces me to at LEAST LOOK at the update list, postponing items I don't immediately need. I ALWAYS select ANYTHING having to do with core security on Win and Linux.

The object of all this discussion is when committed to using ANY vendor's OS offline, you can do anything you want until you need to use more advanced technology then your computer shipped with. When faced with the gloriously horrid rewards and risks of placing ANY computer online in our currently threat intensive environment, there is no substitute for an informed and involved user coupled with smart software.

Those who depend on software only fight the battle one handed. There is no protection program in the omniverse which can neutralize every threat the malicious human mind can conceive. There are no perfect OSes.

Thankfully, most of us live in a free market society where companies which can be proven to participate in practices which purposefully make their customers vulnerable to attack eventually lose enough business to undergo a reality check or go out of business.

Also, there are alternate OS providers placing a check on the market so an absolute monopoly cannot bring every computer in the world to a dead stop all at once.

Bottom line, be smart. Work with all your software providers to provide the best protection they current offer. Reduce the risks associated with human behavior such as illegal activity, the desire to click on EVERYTHING assuming the software will protect you and blindly accepting every message you see on the screen at face value- "you are infected! Download and install this program to remove..."

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived