Here we go again...

KCD

Guest lavochkin

Good luck with flight1 support. Sorry to hear you are having problems KCD. Good luck.

Rick

Each and every time I have tried to install and activate UT by running the sim, UT has been installed on top of a "virgin" FS9.1 that worked perfectly. Not once did the sim start with UT loaded; if there was a conflict, it had to be with something already in FS9. Because FSG and GE by themselves are not really noticeable without UT, I can't really answer. FSG seemed to cause no issues and neither did GE (which is still installed, I believe).

Now here's one for you... I ran across an old file (back-up) copy of FS9.1 (from 2014 or 2015) prior to ever trying UT. It ran on the new win 7 Pro 64 machine off the back-up drive (USB) without a hitch. If worse comes to worse, I can live with that install, it's reasonably loaded with all of Holger's free stuff, may even have FSG freeware as well. Question is, can this be copied to the C drive without causing it to develop issues?

Not certain that this will help you, KCD, or anyone else having issues with FS2004 and Win7 x64 setups. I have not seen this posted here by anyone yet so I'll take the liberty.

This is MY experience, it's what I had to do on my Machine (Old and modest specs) and Windows 7 x64/x32 with SP1.

By default, Win7 SP1 x64/x32 will NOT recognize you as the owner of the OS/machine and files even though you may be the only user and have "Administrator" rights. There are several clinical steps to edit the registry to complete the task manually but I found a very simple way to accomplish this and it's my favorite automated solution utility for Win7 x64/x32.

By default, since Vista, you are NOT the ruler of things... the System reigns supreme. I'm not convinced that this wasn't a ploy of M'soft to try to be more like Apple... dummy proof with no access.

For the purposes intended, lets call this "4 steps to becoming owner of Win7 x64/x32".

Step #1:

Go to http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

Scroll down the page till you see:

"Add Take Ownership Option in Right Click Context Menu".

1. Download TakeOwnership.zip"

Step #2: Click on #1 and it will download "TakeOwnership.zip" to your machine. It's small, 622 bytes and contains 2 registry edit executable files.

One to add "Take Ownership" rights for all drives and folders and the other to "Remove the right". * I haven't found a reason to remove the right, lol.

Step #3:

Double click the "Add" reg entry file. Win7 will throw up the "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson" caution flag, just click yes to add the string to your registry.

No matter if you have multiple drives or just one, do these easy steps for all. Right click on the C:/ drive. It will open the window that list the properties for the drive. Look in the top few lines of the first page and look for an entry "Take Ownership".

**NOTE** The Take Ownership option may NOT be present on your list for C:/ or other drives. If not then open each drive and for each folder present on the drive, starting at the top of the list, right click the folders and "Take Ownership" will be listed and accessible. Just click it and you'll see the CMD window open, and run through the files inside and make you the owner of them. Again, do this for ALL drives and ALL folders.

Once you are listed as the owner of all on your machine, do a restart and after it's up again, we'll go into the FS install steps...

Step #4: K.I.S.S. Theory at play here.

On everything you install, FS or any other program, since the change of ownership, you need to right click their executable and scroll down to the "properties" option and open it. Click on the "compatibility" tab. On that page, go down to the bottom to "Privilege Level" and put a check in the box to activate "Run this program as an administrator".

I have yet to need to run any FS add on in compatibility mode for any OS.

Now all you do is left click the install exe. files and it'll automatically tells the OS it (the exe and you) have admin/owner rights to install.

* NOTE* As far as what to install and when to install it in your FS9, I follow the one simple rule of the FS world scenery's.

First, Terrain Mesh Scenery...

Second, Scenery Landclass...

Last, the Terrain Mesh...

In closing, I'm sorry if this was a tad long winded but it's the simplest solution I personally could find to allow all FS2004 software (so far) to work within Win7 x64/x32 all versions without error. Before I did this, I had KCD's problems too.

Cheers and when the fog has cleared from all the great responses so far, try it, it can't hurt to do this even if you are issue free in FS2004... so far.

Thanks, Tim...

Seems to me Microsoft has taken all the fun out of computers with their new operating systems! Here is another, serious issue... I was cleaning the area this AM and removed disk 4 from the hard drive. Even though I have the "No CD 9.1" patch, the disk 4 is required. I tried to run the sim and was confronted with error message after error message, and when it finally opened, there was no grass along side the runway, and all the coastlines were back to squares and triangles. In the service we had a saying for this type of operation... FUBAR!

Taking ownership of the whole drive is a very bad idea.

When you install Windows it's the system account that installs everything. And it therefore if owner of the Windows files. (And a few more folders.)

A file may only be altered by the account that created it. Or by an higher ranked account.

Meaning that if you set up an admin account for yourself. And then create a user account for your child. The child can't mess with your account's files and thereby damage programs.

But if the child accidentally installs a virus that stops his account from working, you can easily remove it by logging on on the administrator account and deleting the virus files that are owned by the childs account.

This worked like that in XP already.

In Windows 7 an account was placed above it. The System account. It owns the Windows files and several other things.

This is a good thing. Every time you run a program, that program will run with your accounts priviledges.

This means that you can make that program edit your files easily. After all, those files are owned by your account as well.

But the program can not change the files in the Windows folder. All those files are owned by the System account.

Same goes for the programs that were installed with installers into the C:\Program Files (x86) and the C:\Program Files folder. These are owned by the system account as well.

The system account will not be in your way at all.

Installing something with a correctly built installer will work just fine. Doing a program update will too.

One program editing files of another program will be blocked.

A very good thing because when you accidentally start a virus, it will run with your priviledges only.

It can not harm your Programs (it can not disable the virus scanner for example) and it won't damage Windows files (meaning the pc won't become unbootable).

Taking ownership of all those files will leave your pc vulnerable to all kinds of malware. It pretty much end any chance of a safe pc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should be able to just add another scenery / world / texture folder of your other sim. Just renanme the current one what it is - texture.gepro etc.

I have about 5 or 6 loaded sign different textures. I just name them back to what it was. Texture.evo.

Texture. GePro

Texture.voz.

I do the same with the actual texture folders.

So you can actually just rename what you have and copy the default scenery/world/texture andfs9/texture folders back into it. That way no uninstalling anything.

So you can retest and try and narrow down the problem. Because as I said, the only time I get those errors is for a clash between textures and LC or scenery bgl files.

If you start in another country do you still get the ctd?

Even though I have the "No CD 9.1" patch, the disk 4 is required. I tried to run the sim and was confronted with error message after error message, and when it finally opened, there was no grass along side the runway, and all the coastlines were back to squares and triangles. In the service we had a saying for this type of operation... FUBAR!

Did you do the "minimal install" or whatever it is where the sim loads scenery off the CD every time you run it?

Was that even still an option with FS9? Been so long since I've installed it I can't remember. All I know is I have a perfectly functional FS9 installation running on Win 7 with Ultimate Terrain and everything works great, don't remember any problems getting it up and running except the Flight1 ATR didn't seem to like Win 7.

EDIT: Maybe it was FSX the Flight1 ATR didn't like, can't remember...

Hi Jim,

This was a complete, full install. It was probably the fourth or fifth "virgin" install and it was done according to flyer8's instructions. Thanks to him, I now have a clean, back-up of 9.1 fully patched on a different HDD that I can copy over when the win 7 version goes bad (which it has done repeatedly). I'm interested that your FS9 (is it patched to 9.1) runs without issue with UT; Mine won't even finish booting before it crashes. Remove UT and it's fine (well it is if you leave disk 4 in the drive).

Point of interest, I ran across an old back-up copy of FS9.1 from 2014 or 2015, stored on an old USB back-up HDD. I scrolled down to the *.EXE file and clicked on it. It ran on the new win 7 Pro 64 machine off the back-up drive (USB) without a hitch. If worse comes to worse, and I never get UT installed, I can live with this old install, it's reasonably loaded with all of Holger's free stuff, may even have FSG freeware as well. Question is ca I prot it over to the new machine by using it to overwrite the new install? If not that, can parts of that old install be added to the new one to enhance the look?

Thanks,

KCD

This thread is getting way off track to actually helping to resolve anything. Win 7 works great with FS9, it works great with almost everything, works great with Windows updates applied. I posted in the other thread and I'll post again here.

KCD,

I would suggest you uninstall FS9.

Apply Windows updates.

Reinstall FS9 but this time install it to a completely new folder. So if you currently have FS9 in a folder called FS9 on your C drive, create a folder called FS2004. Make the folder a name you have NEVER used before.

After FS9 install, apply v9.1 patch. You can run it from anywhere on your computer, just click the patch to get it running. Don't try and follow any other advice on patch installation. Just click it!

Then copy the NOCD overwriting the FS9.exe in your new FS9 folder you created.

Check FS9, should be working perfectly.

Then add UT as it appears you are having most trouble with UT. Check FS9 and now it should hopefully be working properly.

There is no need to go through a bunch of complicated procedures to install and have a perfectly working FS9 on Win 7. If there is an issue it is best resolved once there is certainty you have followed the methods above. This process works for almost everyone else using FS9 on Win 7. Good luck!

Mark Daniels

Let me also say this, I just checked and have successfully installed and got running 68 games out of 68 on my fully updated Win 7. Games ranging from 1996-2016. Win 7 is brilliant and FS9 is a very straight forward install if you just follow the simple steps precisely. No MS conspiracies, Win 7 works with old and new games and certainly with FS9.
Mark Daniels

Sorry KCD, it is nor was my intention for you or anyone else to cause any harm to their machine, not that it would anyway.

@Top... Textbook wiki type point taken but as I stated, this is and was MY fix for KCD's problems that I experienced on MY machine.

FYI, like KCD, I refuse to allow windows update to fill my OS with bloatware. This fix hurts nothing except maybe what I will choose to call "General PC OS Paranoia".

M'soft has never gotten off their collective butts and finished anything in their software or OS lineup since day one.

I've been a sim pilot since the beginning of the FS series... when it was 1 Dimensional and used a green screen and the only other color was black on the MS-DOS operating system. Back when we sim pilots, as a whole, were kinder to one another as there were no know-it-all types. To unilaterally state my method is "Very Bad"... IMHO, that's rather shallow of you but thanks for insulting me. I'll refrain from making the mistake of offering a proven Low Tech solution in the future to anyone else in the community. I certainly don't want to raise your ire again by passing "Very bad ideas"... sheesh. Heaven forbid!

Mark Daniels -

If your trying to indicate that I do not know how to install flight simulator software, you are greatly mistaken. I've been doing it probably since before you were born with simulators you have probably never heard of! I've never experienced anything like this, ever. It's not FS9, it's UT. FS9 is properly installed and properly patched to 9.1. When UT is installed, FS9 then crashes on boot up. It's been suggested that the cause is probably a scenery conflict, but I don't see how that is possible. There is no scenery installed save that which FS9 installed. This doesn't make sense, but I suggest that if you have nothing constructive to suggest that you simply keep your innuendos to yourself! This problem is frustrating enough without the added insult of suggested ineptness.

A few of the tools I use when I copy & paste my backup onto a new drive...

1. teracopy - High speed copy program, faster than Microsoft's

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

2. Everything - Desktop search engine, searches as you type, to find your fs9.cfg

to edit & add

[OLDMODULES]

FSsound.dll=1

ADF2mod.dll=1

click_ok.dll=1

PSSound.dll=1

FSUIPC.dll=1

SOARRec.dll=1

waicao.dll=1

to stop dll errors on start-up

http://www.voidtools.com/

3. Registry Repair kit - to tell the registry where the FS9.exe is

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mark Daniels -

If your trying to indicate that I do not know how to install flight simulator software, you are greatly mistaken. I've been doing it probably since before you were born with simulators you have probably never heard of! I've never experienced anything like this, ever. It's not FS9, it's UT. FS9 is properly installed and properly patched to 9.1. When UT is installed, FS9 then crashes on boot up. It's been suggested that the cause is probably a scenery conflict, but I don't see how that is possible. There is no scenery installed save that which FS9 installed. This doesn't make sense, but I suggest that if you have nothing constructive to suggest that you simply keep your innuendos to yourself! This problem is frustrating enough without the added insult of suggested ineptness.

I am feeling your frustration on this and I have been relooking at my FS9 and a strange thing did happen yesterday. Before launching FS9 I launched the control panels for GE Pro and UT. And strangely, they seem to have "forgotten" where FS9 was!!! They each put up a dialogue box asking to be pointed to FS9. Once I satisfied them, all went ok. So forgive me if this is a dumb question, but have you launched the control panel for UT after the install?

Robin,

I have not run the UT control pannel because it installs inside FS9, and FS9 will not boot up after UT is added, it crashes about the time it tries to add the scenery to the starting screen.

(NOTE: I did run the control panel, each time UT installed, Once I checked everything, another time I checked only one item. The results were the same.)

Thank you for the information above. I have downloaded all suggested files and used them to copy the USB Back-Up install to the new "C" drive. Initial tests are that all systems are GO! I did not overwrite the FS9.1 installed fresh on the "C" drive in a different folder (not program), so I will be able to tinker with this problem and still be able to enjoy a decent install that served me well before I ever heard about UT. Fortunately, both the new install and the old have back-up files, so I should be in pretty good shape.

I appreciate your help, and all the constructive assistance everybody has provided. It has all been helpful and ultimately led to the solution. Thank you all!

When UT is installed it places an icon on the desktop that opens the control panel. This is where selections for road types, details and so forth are made. That is the CP I launched and discovered UT was screwed up. This explicitly cannot be launched with FS9 running.

Answer... Yes, I ran the CP for UT. I selected the full boat the first time, and the system crashed when I tried to open the sim. Then I went to default settings and the sim opened and operated fine. Finally I ran the CP again, selecting cautiously and meagerly,the system crashed as it tried to open.

Archived