VRinsight GPS 5 Question

gasman

Hi...

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place. Please forgive me if I'm not.

I have purchased a VRinsight GPS 5 unit that,after much messing about I have got running. (I'm not too computer savvy) !

Anyway, my question is, can you make it recognise other aircraft other than the generic FS9 / FSX / P3D aircraft so as

I can use it with other aircraft that I have downloaded / bought ?

I've trawled the internet but can't find any useful info. whatsoever !

Thanks in advance,

Gasman.

I am pretty sure the GPS5 just uses the default FSX GPS. The default FSX GPS is a 2D gauge that you can install into any aircraft by adding a few lines to the aircraft’s panel.cfg file. The simplest way to install it into a new aircraft is to copy it from an existing aircraft. As an example, open up the panel.cfg file for the default Cessna 208B Caravan, which you will find in \fsx\simobjects\airplanes\C208B\panel\panel.cfg.

Near the top of the file you will see a section called [Window Titles], which includes an entry ‘Window02=GPS’. A little further down the file you will see a section named ‘Window02’, which looks like this:

[Window02]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

position=8

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

To add the GPS to your own aircraft you can copy this section to the panel.cfg file for your aircraft and then make sure you add a corresponding entry to the [Window Titles] section. The only change you will need to make is to the ‘02’, as each window must have a unique identifier. If ‘Window02’ is already in use for your aircraft (it probably is), just use the next available unused number. So, for example, if your aircraft already has eleven 2D panels installed (as does the Cessna Caravan), the lines you add to the panel.cfg might look like this:

[Window Titles]

…

Window11=My GPS Panel

…

[Window11]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

position=8

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

The GPS panel can now be selected from the Views/Instrument Panel menu, where it will have the name ‘My GPS Panel’. (For WindowNN numbers below ten these can also be selected using the shortcut SHIFT+NN.) If you want to use the portable GPS295 instead of the panel mount GPS500, just substitute ‘gps_295’ for ‘gps_500’ in the last line. You can also play with the other parameters to change the initial appearance of the GPS.

The only difference you may find is that the GPS5 may clip the window so you only get the display part, without the bezels and knobs. If you look in the panel.cfg of an aircraft you have successfully used it for you should find what you need to replicate this.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Archived