Budget build for Microsoft Flight Sim

I've been cruising the forums here for days and everybody seems to want advice for the best simulator build with budgets much higher than mine. I'm a flight instructor, not a gamer. That means two things: I don't care about awesome graphics, and I have a small budget. This will be for IFR training, so rendering complex scenery isn't a big deal. I'll be seeing fog. I understand FS takes massive CPU speed rather than powerful GPU. Can y'all recommend me builds I can do for 500 or less optimized for FS? I have FS 2004 but I may upgrade to X if somebody convinces me x is better. Please include everything from psu to ram to mobo. Case too if anyone knows cheap ones that aren't complete junk! My laptop didn't even come close to trying... Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

With a $500 budget you're almost limited to an AMD CPU.

Here's a parts list. You may want to chose your own case. Do note the compatibility notes which says you may need to update the BIOS in the motherboard. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fht3vV

I would use Windows 7. Windows 10 is complete spying junk. Also, always install FS into the root of C:\ and not into the programs folder otherwise you may have issues if you do chose to add any addons.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Archived