Some odd weather..

BobSeaman

I started up FS and updated the weather (stock, real weather) a couple of hours ago.

Flying out of Spokane, its foggy. REALLY foggy, like 1/8th of a mile viz. :pilot:

As I'm climbing, I notice something strange. I'm at FL160 and its still 1/8 mile fog.

I hit FL200, no change. :eek:

OK, the cloud deck has gotta break soon, right?

FL300 and guess what? Still thick fog. :eek:

Just for grins, I select a different airport north of Texas- just to see if that real weather update was glitched.

Clear skys and some clouds, like normal. :confused:

I have this weather set as my default start-up point. Maybe I'll save this flight/weather and investigate more in an SR-71 or U-2?

:cool:

I love when it's like that for landing so I can rely on my instruments for CAT III landings. But to see that at FL30 -- crap! LOL!

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

I thought for a long time FS regardless of weather conditions allows the runway to come into view at 500ft. Quite surprised the first time I found out there is no 500ft limit. I just managed to land it. I certainly had no alternatives planned because I never thought I'd need one!
Mark Daniels

FS's "real weather" doesn't always work right. Or at all for that matter. Better to get a 3rd party weather program, like FSRealWX, or something. Much more reliable, not to mention accurate.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FS's "real weather" doesn't always work right. Or at all for that matter. Better to get a 3rd party weather program, like FSRealWX, or something. Much more reliable, not to mention accurate.

Have fun!

Pat☺

There was also a problem with it. I can't even remember what the problem was but there was a fixed weather.dll download for it which I know was a 'must have' back when I used the FS weather. Someone might remember what it fixed but I know I considered it an absolute necessity. I had the file around a while ago and looked at it but from what I kept of the download or how it came (not sure) there was no readme in there explaining what it fixed only contained the .dll

Mark Daniels

Huh. I never had any trouble. Works fine for me, straight off the site. Never had to download an extra .dll. Maybe the later downloads they fixed the trouble?

If you stumble across where the file is, could you let me know so I can try installing it to check it out? Like I said, FSRealWX Lite and FSRealWX both work fine for me right out of the zip files they came in...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Have fun!

Pat☺

Apropo of nothing, since I mostly set the weather manually, how much of a crosswind and gusts should I be able to handle for the C-172 that comes with FS9 and in a Piper Super Cub? The later came with Abacus Bush Pilot Adventures and I really like to fly it. Both of them, really.

I wish I could set the gusts in a slightly different direction than the regular wind.

Thanks,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Huh. I never had any trouble. Works fine for me, straight off the site. Never had to download an extra .dll. Maybe the later downloads they fixed the trouble?

If you stumble across where the file is, could you let me know so I can try installing it to check it out? Like I said, FSRealWX Lite and FSRealWX both work fine for me right out of the zip files they came in...

Pat☺

Hi Pat, no, I was referring to a fixed dll for FS's built in real weather not FSRealWX.

Mark Daniels

Oh! My mistake, sorry bout that. I guess my caffeine level got low. Too much blood in my coffee system... :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No. Apples and oranges, as they say.

FSUIPC is an interface between external software, FSRealWX for example, and FSX. It lets the two chit-chat back and forth. It lets FSRealWX send weather info into FSX, like what weather is happening at what airport, and lets FSX tell FSRealWX what airport to report the weather from. Just one example. It lets lots of 3rd party, external softwares talk back and forth with FSX. Many are written to need FSUIPC to allow them to work with FSX.

I am not certain what the weather settings in FSUIPC are for, as I only use the freeware version. I suggest waiting for someone wiser than I to answer that one. It's just that FSUIPC is an interface, not a weather program. Maybe it can affect the way the FSX Real Weather downloads, the weather it imports from it's normal download site.

Hope that helps a little.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's called 'VISIBILITY'. Which you can set from 'World/Weather/User Defined/Custom'. Click on 'Visibility' tab. Set bottom and top (altitude in feet) and move visibility slider (1/8). Just because 'Real Weather' changes things don't mean you can't change it back. Menu looks like this.

Chuck B

Napamule

FS9 World.Weather.User Defined.Custom.Visibility.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived