FS2004 on Win 10 (64) Flight Plans

peterd51

Hi,

it's a new PC with a fresh install of Win 10 64 bit.

FS2004 is installed on the D:drive, working OK, I've had several test flights.

I copied my existing flight plans from my old XP PC onto the new Win 10 PC...

I either...

placed them in 'F:\Peters Documents\Flight Simulator Files' as created by the new FS9 install but couldn't see any of them in FS9 'select a flight'

Or I placed them in 'F:\peters Documents\1 myDocuments\Flight Simulator Files'...as that was how I found them on the XP PC...

I can't remember which way I tried it but now the flight plans are in both locations on the Win 10 PC but I can't see them in FS9 'select a flight'.

I also can't see anywhere in FS9 that I can specify the location of the Flight Plans.

Any ideas please?

Regards

Peter

Flight plans are not flights. They are saved planned routes. In fsx you load those from the flight planner menu. I expect in fs9 also. Don't know what folder to put them in, I think the first one you mentioned, but not sure.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

somehow, after spending a few days poking around with this without success, I managed to get it working a few hours after posting my first message.

Not exactly sure how, but I'd saved a new flight plan to compare with the existing ones and suddenly it all worked.

I can even see my own 'default' flight when I boot FS9 rather than 'Seattle'.

The flight plans are held in the 'F:\peters Documents\1 myDocuments\Flight Simulator Files' folder so I've moved the other one to my backup drive.

Regards

Peter

Peter

Bit of confusion here.

In FS9 "flight plans" are simply route information including departure/arrival airports; waypoints/VOR's ; and altitude. They have the extension .pln You can load an existing one or edit one, or create a new one. You do this via the "Flight Planner" menu on the "CREATE A FLIGHT" page. When you save a .pln file it gets saved (in windows 7 at least) to your "My documents" folder.

What you are refering to are "Flights" which are accessed through the "SELECT A FLIGHT" menu. There are Flights which are default training ones for FS9, and you may have others that are installed by addon aircraft or scenery. These "Fight" files have a .FLT extension and will contain details of aircraft ; aircraft settings; location. They may also be accompanied by weather scenario (.WX) files, and flight plan (.pln) files.

The "FLIGHT" files (.FLT plus .WX and .PLN) are by default installed in FS9/Flights folder. Any FLIGHT's you save yourself are however saved in the My documents folder.

Hope this helps

Peter

hi pschlute

yes, confusing because I don't know the terms that people here use to refer to these things so that'll be my fault.

I was asking about flight plans with a .pln extension.

For some reason I couldn't see my existing .plns off my XP box when I looked in Flight Planner.

It was only after I created a new one that I found the right folder, under 'myDocuments' as you state, but then also under another 'mydocuments' folder under the main one.

I have a particular naming system on my drives but in a general case on someone elses PC it might be 'D:\My Documents\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\xyz.pln', etc. Windows 10 seems to be different to XP in that it's added an extra layer of 'folders'...possibly something I did when setting it up last month.

Once I'd saved a new flight plan FS9 seems to have 'found' the folder and everything is working now.

I've found so many tweaks on this site to make this work on Win 10, and I've applied them all, so I'm not exactly sure what made the difference...thanks to everyone that contributed to that list of things to try.

I also tweaked everything on my D-drive to have full administrator priveledges, and my username is also an administrator.

I'm not going to mess around with it now it's working! :-)

Regards

Peter

Archived