FSX continually fails during or just after takeoff....

coastalguy

After upgrading to Windows 10, I have be able to use FSX off and on. About 1/2 the time, on takeoff and sometimes just after, I get a failure error which closes the program. Figuring on starting clean, I unstalled SDK, FSX which did not remove all of the files. I then manually deleted the remaining files.

Now when I try to re-install FSX, the first options I get are to Repair and Remove. If I select Repair, it advises the program needs to be installed in order to repair. If I select Remove, I get the error Cannot load DLL gameusinstallhelper, error 0x80040702.

Have found a number of fixes on the net, using Windows Install repair, restarting with only Windows startups, copying the files from disk 1 to a hard drive partition, downloading the DLL file and copying it into Windows/System32, and none work.

I am now unable to get FSX re-installed. I am using Flight Simulator X (4 DVD's) Gold Edition which includes SDX and Acceleration, but I cannot even get the basic program to install. I am at a loss....

Fsx is uninstalled in two steps. First accel, then deluxe. You did only one, and then deleted files. Now the registry entry is still there, and the system thinks fsx is still installed. Remove the registry entry with kb928080. On simviation as resetsldl.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, regarding the gameusinstallhelper.dll file, I found it had to be copied to both the windows/system32 and the windows/syswow64 folder. Doing this then brought up the error 1628 which after many searches led to a Install Wizard problem and not what was left when I uninstalled FSX.

Before establishing this, I tried using Revo Uninstaller PRO removing everything it found in the Registry with no luck. After days of Google searching, including Microsoft answers site (trying about 7 options they provided, below these options a comment was made regarding the 3 "idriver" files under Windows/Common files/installshield....... I had found a mention to make sure under the properties/compatibility tab, that the "Run as Administrator" was checked. However, until the comment I mentioned above, no one had said to remove the check under "Run this file under the compatibility for". Mine had been checked for XP. I unchecked this and wow, the installation went great. The start of the installation showed "uninstalling", so it looks like the fsx install problem was only the InstallShield wizard and nothing to do with what was left from the FSX uninstall? Hope this can help someone.

Copy gameusinstallhelper.dll ???

Where fid you find that instruction??

moving files to those folders is generally not a good idea!

(also, typo? gameuxinstallhelper.dll)

you started by saying:

the first options I get are to Repair and Remove.

Well, that means the registry entry is still there for fsx. The pc thinks fsx is still installed, and when running the install disk, that says: "repair or remove"

Because installing is not an option if it sees fsx is installed.

To fix that I told you to run kb928080

That has nothing to do with copying files to the folders you mentioned. Nothing at all.

It is a kb file (knowledge base) from Microsoft.

The instructions for running it are here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928080

(easy to find, just type kb928080 into google)

And the file itself can be found here:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18934/fsx-resetsldlexe/

(just type resetsldl into google)

All it does is remove the registry entry for fsx. So the installer will now know fsx is not installed. Then it will allow installing.

------------------

I don't understand why you didn't follow those steps. Trying to clean the registry with Revo seems to have caused more problems.

(Or can you install fine now?)

There used to be a Microsoft Fixit file for the error 1628 error, but that is not available anymore. (Or at least I can't find it online.)

I didn't quite follow hat last bit, I hope you mean you just installed fsx no problem. Not sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Copy gameusinstallhelper.dll ???

Where fid you find that instruction??

moving files to those folders is generally not a good idea!

(also, typo? gameuxinstallhelper.dll)

you started by saying:

Well, that means the registry entry is still there for fsx. The pc thinks fsx is still installed, and when running the install disk, that says: "repair or remove"

Because installing is not an option if it sees fsx is installed.

To fix that I told you to run kb928080

That has nothing to do with copying files to the folders you mentioned. Nothing at all.

It is a kb file (knowledge base) from Microsoft.

The instructions for running it are here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928080

(easy to find, just type kb928080 into google)

And the file itself can be found here:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18934/fsx-resetsldlexe/

(just type resetsldl into google)

All it does is remove the registry entry for fsx. So the installer will now know fsx is not installed. Then it will allow installing.

------------------

I don't understand why you didn't follow those steps. Trying to clean the registry with Revo seems to have caused more problems.

(Or can you install fine now?)

There used to be a Microsoft Fixit file for the error 1628 error, but that is not available anymore. (Or at least I can't find it online.)

I didn't quite follow hat last bit, I hope you mean you just installed fsx no problem. Not sure.

First, copying that DLL file, eliminated the error that it could not find it when I first tried to re-install. I have done so many Google searches, I really do not remember where that one was suggested, however from my past experience I knew the system32 was where dll files are kept, just didn't know about the syswow64, until I came across that advice.

But then I started receiving the 1628 error, which I found out was due to problem with the install wizard, again nothing to do with any leftover files or keys. Again, after much searching, I found that 3 of the files under the ProgramFiles(x86)/common files/InstallShield, under the "property" on each of the 3 idriver files needed to have the "Run as Administrator" added and the "Run this in compatibility mode..." unchecked, all under the compatibility tab. It was this last factor, that allowed the install FSX to run successfully.

Neither of these fixes, had anything to do with having leftover files or keys on the HD or Registry, so none of the advices (I tried them all), worked. The registry cleaner was a suggestion I found on the Windows 10 Forum (I spent weeks on this doing Google Searches). In fact, once the install actually worked (by finding the dll file and the settings on the Install wizard fixed), it immediately started an uninstall procedure, indicating that nothing left was impeding the installation.

Anyway, I now have FSX working, HOWEVER I now have an "activation" problem. The activation wizard does not display when starting FSX, only an error 1-80004005 taking me to a page that tells me nothing. I can now only run it for 30 minutes after which it advises it is a trial version and then shuts down, in addition not not having the multi-player option.

When I purchased this PC, several years ago, I installed FSX and activated it fine. I then upgraded to Windows 10 and it still ran, but continually shutting down shortly after starting free flights. That is why I uninstalled it and did a re-install. MS says there is no restriction on the number of activations, as long as on the same PC, which it is.

After 6 months of finally getting Windows 10 upgrade to work, now this FSX crap is sure keeping me from ever purchasing another Microsoft product. I have almost 100 apps on my PC, all of which install fine and allow activation from within the program, or a number to call if a problem. On FSX, try to find any way of contacting them to fix a problem on their crap.

Ok, following a registry fix I found below, that is supposed to bring up the activation window, I found that the command they were referring to had to be case sensitive. On the assumption that the fsx installation would not add a key in all lower case, if it required initial caps, I was completely wrong. I guess I should have assumed that Microsoft was as incompetent as ever. Anyway, the installation added the key "partmgr", rather than "PartMgr". On changing it and restarting FSX, up came the activation wizard.

1. run regedit (Windowskey +R)

2. Expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\CLASS\{4D36E967-

E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. After you find the folder, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.

4. Change the value from 0 to PartMgr and/or remove any other settings and then click OK.

5. Close Registry Editor

6. Start FSX/Accel and you should get the registration wizard.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to coastalguy:

gameuxinstallhelper.dll is a file that is supposed to be in the folder:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

System32 or Syswow64 are not the folders it is supposed to be in.

---------------------

You didn't do the full uninstall (two steps), and deleted the FSX folder before you should have.

When you deleted that, you also deleted the file gameuxinstallhelper.dll

And not finishing the full uninstall (both steps) meant the FSX registry entry was not removed yet.

--------------------

You then used the FSX install DVD.

The FSX registry entry was still there.

Because of that, the fsx installer thought fsx was still installed. So it did not offer to install fsx.

All you got was options "uninstall" and "repair".

You tried both options but they did not work. You got a message about "gamuxinstallhelper.dll is missing".

That makes perfect sense. The file is required for uninstalling, repairing, etc.

(notice it has 'install' in the filename.)

-------------------

As I said, what you should have done is remove the fsx registry entry. That is the only thing holding up the fsx Install.

Not remove it by hand. As you can do some bad damage by editing the registry by hand. And removing the fsx regisry entry is quite complicated. Actually many entry's in the registry are involved.

Not by using something like 'Revo' either.

The best and safest way to remove the fsx registry entry is to run Microsoft kb928080.

You said you tried that but it did not work.

There is only one reason it might not work, and that is if you run it incorrectly.

You don't just download and double click the file kb928080 file.

You then also have to open a command prompt as administrator,

and type a few commands in there,

and you will get a message at the end: "TOKEN STORE CLEANED"

Works every time.

After that the FSX install DVD will offer option "Install" again. And all will be well.

------------------------------

You instead downloaded some files from an untrusted source. (Microsoft file, offered by someone other then Microsoft so untrusted source.)

You installed them in your system folders.

(very risky, potentially opens computer up to attacks)

The folders you put those files in are not where they are supposed to be.

You edited the registry by hand. (risky again).

You didn't fix it manually correctly, as fsx would not activate correcly. A clear sign you had not cleaned the registry correctly.

-------------------------

All not needed if you had run kb928080 correctly.

I don't know what you did wrong when running kb928080. Maybe you didn't use a command prompt at all, or maybe you used a normal command prompt instead of an admin command prompt. You wouldn't be the first to do that.

The slightes error in the registry can leave you with an unbootable computer. Downloading untrusted files and putting them in system folders putting your computer at great risk.

Next time better use the approved Microsoft solution. Much much safer.

Better yet, just uninstall fsx correctly next time. Again two steps. First removing Accel (or SP1), then uninstall fsx deluxe. Can both be done from control panel.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived