FSX : Flying the San Juan Island Run......... with SPEED! :)

Hi guys....Finally I could get back to the Flightsimming world, after I got a new laptop capable of running FSX in 'reasonable' framerate :)...Whew, It's been so long since I last flew in FSX, better hone my skills once more :pilot:

Among my ways of honing my aviation skills, I decided to fly one of the missions I love the most ; flying the San Juan Island Run ! However.....I decided to go the 'fast' way in this mission ; I decided to use a JETLINER ! Yep, you heard me right ; I used the Beriev Be-200 amphibious jetliner for this mission.

2016-9-21_18-54-17-444.jpg

As a jetliner, a Beriev Be-200 is powered by 2 'Progress D-436TP' turbofans ; this type of engine is a special anti-corrosion variant of the 'Progress D-436' turbofans (which is developed from Lotarev D-36, the first high-bypass turbofan engine from the CIS). It can fly for 340 knots (about 612 km per hour) in cruise. Sure, this speed is much lower compared to most jetliners, but it's much faster compared to the DHC-2 Beaver typically used in this mission (which can only reach about 128 knots in cruise) ; add it to the fact that this jetliner can land on typical land runways (just like almost any other jetliners), as well as on water like all seaplanes around. There's almost no other jet aircraft in the world that can actually land on water like this jet (except the Saunders-Roe SR.A/1, or Be-200's early model, the Beriev A-40)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the mission started, I decided to just turn the 2 Progress D-436TP engines on, and once the engines stabilize....2016-9-21_18-55-6-579.jpg2016-9-21_18-55-41-863.jpg

I immediately set the flaps, and departed from Kenmore air Harbor for a short 8-nautical mile hop to Kenmore Air's real life main base @ Lake Union, Washington (a very short distance away from Seattle)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016-9-21_18-57-58-683.jpg2016-9-21_19-0-26-429.jpg

The flight didn't take a long time ; just about 6 (!) minutes from takeoff till landing (and oh yeah, I decided to continue my San Juan run to Friday Harbor, instead of going to Lake Cushman ; the route to Friday Harbor fits better for this jetliner.)

2016-9-21_19-1-4-822.jpg

Once I landed, I immediately rolled to the docks where my passengers were waiting

2016-9-21_19-4-42-10.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All aboard, ladies & gentlemen ! :cool: Let's GO !

2016-9-21_19-5-28-296.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right, everyone's secured on their seats, so without further ado, we're off for Friday Harbor ! :D (P.S the flight will transverse about 62 Nautical Miles, or about 114 kilometers)

2016-9-21_19-7-30-515.jpg2016-9-21_19-8-16-737.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our flight went without hassles, and apparently my passengers enjoyed being brought to their destination in this fast & luxurious fashion ; remember the fact that there are almost no jetliner that can operate from water ?

2016-9-21_19-10-4-21.jpg2016-9-21_19-18-23-418.jpg

*Landing photos coming soon, due to limitations of images to upload....Sorry for your inconvenience, fellow flightsimmers*

-Best regards, Wan Tjhen

And so...Here are our landing shots, as promised :)

--------------------------------------------------------

Turning around to line up to the best position for landing................

2016-9-21_19-20-7-538.jpg2016-9-21_19-24-8-904.jpg

Rolling in for final approach.........

2016-9-21_19-25-28-59.jpg

And......After our 20-minute flight, a smooth touchdown !

2016-9-21_19-26-12-605.jpg

Well, I landed a bit far away from Friday Harbor (the intended destination), in order to maximize my landing space. It's because when landing seaplanes (or amphibious airplanes in 'seaplane' configuration, for that matter), it's pretty hard to stop the plane ; you can't use brakes or thrust reversers.

---------------------------------------------------------

Taxiing into Friday Harbor......

2016-9-21_19-29-55-595.jpg

Not a long taxi actually. It took only 5 minutes or so until my jet arrived in the harbor's compounds.

---------------------------------------------------------

Going for the docks.....

2016-9-21_19-32-11-481.jpg

Yeah, our flight is close to complete, ladies & gentlemen. Welcome to Friday Harbor ! We hope that you have a nice time here, and we wish we can meet again on our flights ! :D

----------------------------------------------------------

Setting our position....

2016-9-21_19-33-28-771.jpg

So that you (alongside your belongings) can go to the docks safely :)

And finally, bye-bye !

2016-9-21_19-33-53-210.jpg

Thanks for flying with us, in our express-service ! hope you enjoy your time here in Friday Harbor ! :)

TRIVIA : So you guys may suppose that I didn't get any 'reward' at all.....

Rewards.png

Well, as you can see in that pic, you're wrong ! I still got my reward, even though I didn't fly the aircraft that the mission originally had. In order to have this reward, you'll need to go through a tweak of the mission's .FLT file (in your FSX's missions folder).

* In your [mission name here].FLT file, search for the...

[sim.0]

Sim=[aircraft title here ; refer to aircraft.cfg files you have in your simobjects/aircraft folder]

* Once you've found the entry, replace the sim=... with the aircraft of your choice. Et Voila ! now you can fly the mission with the aircraft of your choice, without enabling changes in the mission ! And so, you could still get your reward for that mission ! (if you don't fail the mission, that is).

--------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL THANKS FOR ....

* Massimo Taccoli & Dennis Seeley, for designing and compiling this fabulous jetliner, and making it work with FSX

* Kwilson, for informing me about how to change default aircraft in FSX missions !

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much for checking this article out ! Hope you enjoy it :D

Best regards,

Wan Tjhen

The Beriev Be-200 amphibious jetliner looks like a fun plane to fly. Nice job, enjoyed the article.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Interesting post, something different for sure.

FTR the Lake Union terminal is not the real world main base for Kenmore Air.

The main base is still at the north end of Lake Washington, in Kenmore, Washington.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Well that was an interesting aircraft to choose. The pictures of your flight are terrific and I have never seen that plane before. One thing for sure, with that wing span you got to make sure the dock area is clear of obstacles before pulling up to it. Jim
I am a King Air fan. [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived