FS2004 in Win7 Home Premium 64bit

fontuckydick

Hello. A week ago, for reasons unknown, my system crashed. Found nothing that would cause it. But now my FS2004 (FS9.EXEC) file is scattered all over my HDD, or "C" drive. I had installed FS2004 in "C" drive, or as it is labeled in my system, "Local Drive", all by itself, not in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86),originally as instructed by a member at this website. Did all the updates and scenery add-on's and it worked great. I also installed Microsoft's first edition of Train Simulator and let it install in the default location and it still works fine. All its files are still located nice and neatly in "Microsoft Games\Program Files (x86) in the "C:\ drive after the crash. How do I delete all the scattered FS2004 files and then do a reinstall from a saved with updates FS2004 disk that I burned prior to the crash? Do I have to search and find all those FS2004 files individually and delete them. It seems like it would be too easy to delete the wrong file because in my search so far I can't open a few of them to see what is actually there. So is there a quick way of doing this so I won't have duplicate files in the reinstall? Thanks:confused:

What you probably did is intall to C: drive, but did not create a folder named 'Flight Simulator 9' FIRST. You then were supposed to point the installer to THAT FOLDER - NOT just to the 'C:/' drive. Got it?

It would be better just to format the HDrive and start over. I know, it's a bit of work. But it would take less time than it would take to find and delete all those FS9 files (if ever) and in the end you would have a nice and 'fresh' FS9 to work with. We all have done things like this. We take our lumps, pick up the pieces, and keep on trucking (er..flying). Post back when you fix things. We like success stories. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Reformatting is quite hectic, as the operating system will need to be re-installed again, with it's issues!

So, why not trying to un-install FS2004?

Or, doing a new install, into it's default directory.. (there are far too many 'experts' out there.) YES, it does work perfectly there, Drop the UAC setting right down as well). My 2x versions of FS2004, & the 20+ installs I've done at out club ALL work perfectly!

Ok, now that you've just don a new fresh install, if you have NOT tried to uninstall your scattered FS2004, just pull up the directory where the new FS2004 is installed, as well as a window of your C:\ so you can see what files to delete..

Reformatting is really not worth the hassle! (Been there, done that, got all my T-Shirts!)

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

When you have a clean install of FS9 :

install the 9.1 update, then the nocd patch http://www.fsnordic.net/Files

Once you have done that right click on the fs9.exe , select properties and compatability tab and tick:

Disable visual themes

Disable desktop composition

Run as administrator

This, together with running windows7 with UAC turned right down should save you a heap of problems down the line.

While I run this on XP. I just tried to install on a windows 7 64 pro, and it didn't run along with GTA 3, Vice city, Doom 3, and Elite force 2. It only has a Q45 Intel chip.

But games like Men in Black, Driver, San Andreas, to run. And Elite force.

FS9 runs just fine on win7 64 bit. You just need to follow the advice.

Archived