Installing FSX Scenery

zapilot

Hi..

I'm having to start from fresh with FSX :(...basically a new re-build after my PC crashed. I'm wondering if there's a way of installing scenery downloads in a different path other than the C: drive where FSX now resides. I've done it with Aircraft via the FSX.cfg and pointed to E: drive (as it was then) Is it possible to do it with Scenery?

Thanks ZA

Hi ZA,

As stated by JandJfrench at post #2 - as with Simobjects FSX does allow you to place scenery files anywhere. I have done so many years, originally with FS2004 and now with FSX - makes doing re-installs of FSX a breeze. Not only can you place scenery files outside of FSX but you can also place traffic files outside the normal associated default location of Scenery\World\Scenery.

All you need to remember is that use of a Scenery and, if required, Texture folder to hold the relevant files is a mandatory step - i.e. E:\Addon Scenery\Basic\UK\Scenery\ will be recognised, E:\Addon Scenery\Basic\UK\ won't be recognised.

A handy little tool is the Scenery Config Editor tool found at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

You can activate scenery and place it where you want in the priority listing without even starting FSX - this can be achieved by simply dragging and dropping. It also has the ability to Reset Area and Layer numbering and Reorder the file with a single click. Other options the tool offers is the ability to import and activate multiple sceneries in a single action and the restoration of deleted files/areas from a backup area. When you close the tool after making changes you are prompted to save the changes, which are written to the scenery.cfg file. When you next start FSX, the changes are loaded into the FSX list as normal. I have used the tool for several years and now never use the Scenery Library activation process within FSX any more.

Regards

Brian

Many thanks for your advice and help. I'll look into the Scenery Config Editor...I like the idea, Brian of easy re-installs...This like climbing a mountain...Suppose its a good way to have a clean out...:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

ZA

Hi Brian..Got he scenery editor Trying to figure it out.....Got a Q:

"E:\Addon Scenery\Basic\UK\Scenery\

Is this what I'd 'write' in my FSX.cfg after creating a folder of the same name in the drive of my choice? Sorry to be a pain...

Thanks again.

ZA

no need for anything in the fsx.cfg file.

just make a folder anywhere, anyname.

for example:

E:\anyname\anyname\UK\scenery

(where UK is the name of the airport, and scenery is the folder in there containing the .bgl file of the airport.)

(Or, where uk is th folder you have all your UK scenery in, with in scenery all your airports.)

I would do:

E:\myfsscenery\UK\

with in folder UK:

\EGLL_V3A_stefan_liebe\scenery

\EGBB__AF2_AeroS_2013\scenery

etc

etc.

So, every airport in it's own folder.

Makes it easyer to remove an airport when not needed any more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, add these using the scenery library menu in fsx.

Again, no need to add anything to the fsx.cfg file.

Just start fsx, open the scenery library, navigate to, for example,

E:\myfsscenery\UK\EGLL_V3A_stefan_liebe\scenery

And add it as you always did.

------------------------------------

It doesn't matter where the files are. They can be in C:/fsx/addon scenery

or anywhere else.

Doesn't matter where.

You can just add them through the scenery library.

--------------------------------------------------

You can use the scenery config editor program too.

It does the same thing the scenery library does.

-------------------------

Important, when a scenery is in the Scenery Library. Do not move the files.

Make sure you remove it from the scenery library first!

then you can move or delete the files.

If you simply move or delete the files, fsx will complain about missing scenery on startup.;

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi ZA,

The reply from il88pp says it all really...........WRT to using Scenery Config Editor (SCE) - simply click on the Add Area button located on the right hand side of the page. In the Add/edit window give it a suitable title if required, click on the browse button (a new window will open) and navigate to the location of the scenery, select it and then click OK (browse window will close and the path will added) and then click on the OK button at the bottom of the Add/Edit window - this will place at the top of the list. Close down SCE and you will prompted to save - click yes. Start FSX and you will see the usual 'building new scenery list' bar doing its thing as it updates the scenery list.

As to the folder structure you can make it as simple or as complex as you want to meet your needs. FTR my preference is for a top level folder (that I simply called Addon Scenery) to hold the whole of my addon scenery setup and then the 'subject' sub-folders - I split my sceneries into a number of categories to make it easy to temporariy disable areas that I am not currently flying in, this helps to avoid OOM errors as FSX is not loading the whole of the scenery listing each time it loads:

AI Traffic Files - for all of my AI traffic .bgl files. you could leave it at that and place all traffic files into the same folder but as I have lots of mil AI and also use WOAI stuff I have sub-folders by either Base Specfic/Fastjets/Heavies/Training (Mil stuff) or by Airline (civil stuff).

Airports - Basic\ - for basic scenery packages that only has a single or a few .bgl files. As they only contains .bgl files which are usually named with ICAO code it is easy to identify any files that need deleting. Also, in this case, as long as a single file remains active in the folder you can delete unwanted files without fear of getting 'missing scenery' warnings. BTW when FSX gives such warning messages it normally gives a 'Area XXX and scenery name indication - this is referencing the associated line reference contained within the scenery.cfg file, SCE

Airports - Detailed\ - for detailed scenery packages that has both .gls and textures.

Object Libraries\ - Common Object Libraries like EZ and Rwy12 etc.

I have also installed my FSGenesis and Ground Environment X into their own folders under the main Addon Scenery folder. Also, because I have a lot of MAIW packages installed (yes they are for FS2004 but most work OK in FSX) I also have separate folders for the associated MAIW Landclass and MAIW Waypoints and Ranges.

WRT my comments regarding easy reinstalls of FSX - having your scenery outside of FSX, especially payware stuff that would have written info into the Windows Registry means that if you re-install FSX all you need to do is rebuild the scenery.cfg file. Making regular backups of the this (and other essential files such as your logbook, current fsx.cfg file etc) will help but even if you don't make a backup of the scenery.cfg file simply opening SCE (the listing of which, unless you have installed it into the FSX folder, will remain intact) and changing the listing priority of a single item and then saving and closing and then starting FSX will rebuild the FSX listing back to the state it was in before it was deleted.

Regards

Brian

Archived