Please More USAAF Bases For FS9

casey jones

I have a complete AAF Base Grider Field Pine Bluff Arkensas, it trained many new pilots from 1941 to 1945, most of its

buildings and hangars are still intact. The base is modeled for FS2000 but works great. There is an designer who has

and has created AAF Fields like Mitchell Field New York but this is for FSX which I used to have but gave it away. He

has also created old 1930s airfields for Kansas, Penn, ect. For Hawaii FS9 has covered almost all air fields except

Bellows AAF, I hope someone will do that one. I appreciated all the designers do.

Cheers

Casey

There is an designer who has and has created AAF Fields like Mitchell Field New York but this is for FSX which I used to have but gave it away.

You might at least try to save the Afcad of FSX airfields for FS9 and add buildings. I did it with NAS Glenview and NAS Argentia.

Bernard

... not sure how much you are going to find of your era of interest. ...

LOL, purists would be aghast at my FS9 install - an esoteric conglomeration of aircraft and airports representing every era from pre-WWI to the future. A collection of WWII RAF airbases dots the modern English landscape, thirties era airship hangars are present in the US and Germany, in some areas you can take off from a WWII aircraft carrier and land on a modern one, a single city will have a fifties era airport on one side and a modern one on the other, there are even several sci-fi styled landing facilities hovering about 6000ft in the air. And the AI is just as anachronistic; you may have to hold short while a Fokker Dr.1 lands, see a Bleriot taking off from a farm strip, or watch a Connie taxiing behind a 747; I even have a scenery which has a Space Shuttle take off from Cape Kennedy every couple of hours.

LOL, purists would be aghast at my FS9 install

The great news is that there is no room in this forum for purists. The whole point of a PERSONAL computer is that on it you have what YOU want. Only a few months back, I helped one simmer who wanted a WWI aircraft on his Nimitz type carrier. As the old Romans said; Suum cuique: to each his own.

Steve from Mudgee

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

In a way we all are purists. Either by getting the newest repaints, updated airports or actual traffic. Finally that's what it makes fascinating - to get FS as close and perfect as possible to a specific period. My "obsession" are the Sixties!

Bernard

Interesting topic. Occasionally, I still recreate some of my memorable flights while in the USAF using period aircraft. My favorite is a long haul in a MATS C-121 (Connie) from KCHS with stopovers in Bermuda, the Azores, Spain, Tripoli, Libya and arriving at Dhahran AB, Saudi Arabia. Flights were great, 13 months in the desert, not so great!

Paul

FS9 remains a flight simulator, nothing else.

Bernard

.... or is it?

According to the file library, people are more interested in repaints and AI aircraft now. If FS9 was REALLY a flight simulator ..... would these things REALLY matter? Wouldn't the emphasis be placed on aircraft/cockpit design with more concern over flight characteristics rather than what was placed or viewed outside the aircraft?

Looks like FS2004 is (for most people) a glorified placeholder for eye candy ..... not that there's anything wrong with that .......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

..... As Real as it Gets! .....

Flight simulator or Scenery simulator ...... you decide.

If intended as a scenery simulator it falls flat on its face. There are some impressive sceneries available, such as those from Blue Sky, but having a few square miles of photoscenery here and there just enhances how lackluster is the rest of landscape. (I've actually removed the ground textures from some photosceneries, leaving buildings, roads, etc.; may not look as nice but at least it blends in with the surrounding area.)

Aerosoft Manhattan shows you can make a city look like a city without a major frame rate hit. And I'm astounded that in all these years no one has created a better Niagara Falls.

I'm not expecting every house and garage and alley be accurately represented, but it would be nice to see major streets, shopping centers, apartment buildings, parks, etc., instead of a washed out watercolor background with a handful of buildings, and streets that appear to have been drawn with a grey crayon on coarse paper. It would be nice to do actual low level VFR flights, navigating by landmarks, following roads from place to place ...to use a real world road atlas as a navigating aid.

Of course doing this for the entire world would be quite an undertaking, especially for a ten year old product, and no doubt would end up requiring a system whose specs would dwarf those of FSX. On the other hand, FS9 has been around ten years and how many cities have been done to the level of Manhattan? And still no Niagara.

......... but it would be nice to see major streets, shopping centers, apartment buildings, parks, etc., .........navigating by landmarks, following roads from place to place ...to use a real world road atlas as a navigating aid.

........And still no Niagara.

Sounds like a ROAD TRIP is in order ...... and I think you'll find there IS a Niagra!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... FS9 remains a flight simulator, nothing else.

Bernard

I agree with a comment I read on a forum many years ago: "MSFS has always been more about navigating than flying." It is the community that has made it more of a flying sim.

...... and I think you'll find there IS a Niagra!

Yes there is. Go fly there, skim the river under the bridge, climb over the falls. And tell me there isn't room for major improvement.

Yet, based on repeated searches and posts in numerous flight sim forums, no one has seen fit to produce a better one.

Yes there is. Go fly there, skim the river under the bridge, climb over the falls. And tell me there isn't room for major improvement.

Yet, based on repeated searches and posts in numerous flight sim forums, no one has seen fit to produce a better one.

You see, it was a little bit of humor ..... you get in your CAR and drive navigating by road atlas and landmarks and ..... ahhh ..... nevermind ..... they probably turned off Niagra Falls anyway ......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived