Which Flight Simulator should I buy?

goodjohn80

Looks like I, too, will be downloading FSX-SE. Two questions:

1. The last time I used a Flight Simulator was 20 years ago! At that time, I recall that the simulator came with a user (flight) manual that provided detailed info about how to fly a plane. Is such documentation available for FSX-SE?

2. What do users normally use to control your flights? Keyboard? Joystick? Yoke? Mouse? Would appreciate suggestions!

Newbie, here...great thread and I learned a lot. Thanks to all!

Short answer to 1.) Yes! In "Learning Center" the last tab to the right you can find step by step instructions how to fly. You start with a Cessna 172 and finish on Jets.

2.) I don't know what others are using, you should get started with a good Joystick and add on to this later.

..Newbie, here...great thread and I learned a lot. Thanks to all!

And always remember FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be; personally I like to just jump in the cockpit, slam open the throttle and I'm away into the wide blue yonder with a smile on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket, i don't need no steenkin manuals and stuff..:)

..I need to buy a joystick..

I bought myself this one earlier this year for about 30 GB pounds (40 US dollars), it's got the 3 things I wanted, namely a twist action for rudder, a hat switch for panning, and a "cruising speed click" on the throttle lever so I can feel it click into cruising speed as I slide it without having to look down at it.

I don't bother with any of the buttons because I prefer using the keyboard keys instead..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fstickx_zpsnzxckfon.jpg~original

RE joysticks it's a matter of preference if you want to operate the keyboard more or joystick buttons. I prefer buttons on the joystick, you don't want to play with keys on short finals[emoji6] I would definitely recommend a stick with a throttle. If you use keys for that you may have to constantly look down in certain planes to know where the throttles are set. Ultimately it depends on your budget. Good stick is Saitek X52 pro. Not very cheap but you probably won't regret it. There are better sticks out there but prices are steep and although offer a bit more in my opinion X52 is a good balance and an excellent stick - you just need patience when installing drivers as it doesn't always go well. Saitek is infamous for it. But once installed they work well and are reliable (in my experience at least). Extra "sliders" or wheel controls are also useful for prop pitch, mixture, trim etc although as everything else it can be done with the keyboard if that's your thing. Also, as said before, twist is a good feature to have for the rudder.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bart

Good stick is Saitek X52 pro. Not very cheap but you probably won't regret it.

Can anyone actually still get Saitek X52, with so many of their products no longer shipping?

I've been using one for many years now, and it's been great, well worth the price.

I prefer buttons on the joystick, you don't want to play with keys on short finals

I certainly agree with the short final thing, no question.

I am pretty good on finding the KB buttons by touch, however. It's just me. I learned PC Gaming mostly on Doom, and Castle Wolf, on a DOS 3.2 machine, long time ago. Joysticks didn't even enter into the scene till years later. So I learned to find the keys I use most by touch. It's just my personal habit pattern.

I even do CQ's with my method, and I usually wind up on the deck ok. that's a lot of button pushing, believe me :D My method works for me. Would it work for someone else? Probably not, but with my joystick in front of my right hand, KB in front of my left, I do great. I think it comes down to what your personal habit patterns are as to what works best for you.

If someone does better with another method, more power to 'em I say :)

Oh, and as to the girl next door thingy? Her name was Polly Moore, and she was beautiful. Still is, last I saw, many years later. I understand she now works at some deep-water research station someplace. Major waste of a beauty, out in the ocean someplace... :p :D

Have fun, no matter how you do it :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived