Newbie Setup

Guest av8rooy

Guest av8rooy
Good day everyone. I just bought a Saitek Pro Yoke with Throttle Quadrants. Whats the best computer setup with the least cost for a simulator. Also, which is better? Xplanes or FSX? or I can have both? Thanks.

There are many here that can give you a better answer than I can, but here is what I know.

You want a high clock speed on the processor, FS doesn't really take advantage of multiple processors. FSX also is a memory hog, get as much as you can.

More than anything you need a good video card. ATI and NVidia both make fine cards and I am sure someone can steer you in the direction of one in your price range. You have to have directx 10 for FSX and directx 11 for Prepar3d.

FSX and X-plane are a matter of personal choice, I would check the boards for each game and inquire there. Prepar3d is available if you are a student or educator, but it is much more expensive(60 some dollars) and has less freeware available for it.

Get the fastest processor you can afford and then overclock. The cpu takes priority over the graphics card. Nvidia cards are preferable to ATI/AMD. 8G of memory is all that is required. FSX will only access 4G and the other 4 are for O/S etc. FSX runs on Directx9with a DX10 preview. DX10 and DX11 are backwards compatible with DX9 . Above all else a balanced system which will provide a smooth, no stutters, experience is what you should aim for. I would suggest that you spend some time in the PC Hardware, Video And Audio Help Forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge there regarding hardware requirements for FSX.

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Archived