new fsx tower

Hello, I have been a avid virtual pilot for many years (since fs98) but my old rig is pretty old and I am now looking for a new tower. I have found the following tower onlt deal

System Specification

- Case: Bitfenix Black Neos USB3.0 ATX Tower Case (Other Colour Choices available See Pictures)

- Power Supply: Branded 700W 80+ Certified PSU with 120mm Fan - Perfect for upgradeability Upgrades Available

- CPU: Intel i7 4790 Quad Core CPU with Turbo Speed of 4.0GHz - With Upgrades Available

- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard

- RAM: 8GB Branded DDR3 - With Upgrades Available

- Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda - with Upgrades Available

- Graphics Card: 4Gb Nvidia GTX970 GDDR5 - With Upgrades Available

- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)

- Optical Drive: Branded DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

- No Operating System Included (Windows 7, 8 & 10 Available)

I was wondering would this be a good set up for running FSX??

Second question

The above tower has only 2 USB sockets so I would like to know is a wise idea to get a powered USB hub??

Will it do any damage to the tower with all those USB devices running through one USB socket??

Thanks in advance,

David

It has a few more ports though.

this mainboard has 4 usb 3.0 ports.

2 on the back,

and 2 available through a internal usb header. In that computer case the header will be connected to the front-side usb of the case.

It also has 4 usb ports on the back,

and 6 more availabel through internal hearders.

As you describe it that computer case seems to have no front side usb 2.0

but, you could use a ne expansion slot (on the back) and put in it what is basically no more then a small metal plate with 2 or 4 usb ports, and then 1 or two cables that connect those ports to an internal header. something like this.

https://bstncdn.net/p/cbl-0083l/w350/h350

Here is the Gigabyte page of this Mainboard. Have a look at the specifications page. If the seller specified the revision of mainboard used, make sure you check the correct revision. Sometimes there are small differences.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4958#ov

Also, addon cards exist, similar to a videocard, but then for USB. These addon cards exist for usb 2.0, and also for usb3.0.

Usually a usb 2.0 card is for a PCI-slot.

(this mainboard has 2 of those slots.)

Usually usb 3.0 cards go in PCI-express x1 slots.

(This mainboard has 2 of those as well.)

So if you want to add more USB ports you can. THese cards are not expensive.

example image of usb 2.0 card:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-20-4-port-3-external-and-1-internal-pci-card-a03az

example image of usb 3.0 card:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-30-pci-e-adapter-n64ln

My case has 2 usb3.0 and 2 usb2.0 on the front that are all working.

My mainboard also has 6 usb3.0 slots on the back, and 2 usb 2.0 ports.

I have 4 extension cables (5 ft usb3.0 male-female cables)

and one cable that is usb 2.0 also 5 feet.

Those run from the back of the pc to the top of the desk as one bundle.

That gives me a total of 6 usb3.0 's and 3 usb 2.0's within hands reach. Eack going to it's own connector. No hubs.

2 usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0 on the case, and 4 usb3.0 and 1 usb2.0 on the top of the desk.

Two of the back-panel connectors don't go to the desk, but feed my speakers and printer.

Is a hub slower? It can be. If the hub is connected to one usb port, and you have three usb sticks in it, and are copying date from all three at a time, then yes, they will all use the same connection and it will be slower. basically one writes some data, then the other, then the third, and then the firs again, untill all are done copying.

If you are accessing only one of the usb-sticks at a time there should be little ort no difference with connecting to it's own port.

-------

Other thought about the pc. make sure you get an ssd with it (or install one yourself).

SSD's are great. I use a 256 gb SSD for my C:\ drive (windows, fsx, all programs.)

The pc is lightning fast since I changed to SSD. And, more iportantly for me, it is whisper quiet. No more grinding sounds of a harddisk trying to read data and writing to the cache all the time. (Windows writes to and reads from the cache all the time.)

Now all that is happening on an SSD all I hear is the fan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived