ILS Alignment

Spag-oz

Are there real life airports where the the ILS can be off centre so that it is up to the pilot to line up the aircraft laterally even when the glide slope has been captured?

The reason I have raised it is because on my first ILS short final approach onto RWY 29 at Genoa Italy the lateral direction was trying to place me on the grass well to the left of the strip. I was on autopilot up to that point but manual throttle with the intention of taking full control before passing over the threshold. I tried the approach a number of times again using different aircraft but in every case they lined up to the left of the runway. I considered wind speed may have had an effect but after editing the speed and direction there was no difference.

I checked the bgl file in ADE and noticed the green ILS arrow was off centre for some reason. I changed the settings by a few degrees to line up with the runway (also renamed the rwy numbers to the revised setting ie. 10/28) Now the ILS approach is spot on.

I am curious as to whether the offset ILS is deliberate because of perceived strong off shore winds or simply an error when the file was originally compiled.

deliberate.

In real life as well.

Airport data fsx match real world. (or are close)

Examples: Nice 4R France, Vancouver Canada, I think 8R and KJFK New york 4L.

(from memory)

Reason: Ground clearance. Or to avoid flying over city for noise reasons. Or to avoid getting too close to the approaches on the paralel runway.

Other example: Innsbruck Austria, RW 26. Innsbruck lies in a steep gorge. A straight in approach would have you hit a mountainside 10 NM out. ILS heading is 245 or so, then at last moment make right turn.

Cool approach that last one, try it sometime.:)

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I should put it back then :p Come to think of it the original line up keeps me slightly clear of some waterside buildings whilst my adjustment lets me wave to the occupants. I will just have to fly that approach manually from hereon.

I have tried the Innsbruck approach a few times and have managed a safe landing most times although with the puckered sphincter effect ;) I will keep those others in mind. Thanks.

also renamed the rwy numbers to the revised setting ie. 10/28

Are you aware that in doing this you broke the approach code for that airport?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I don't see a problem with a changed ILS.;) You can make changes as you like. In Vancouver I changed 8L as well.

I never tried changing the RW numbers. So I don't know the consequences that has.

Usually I just add buildings and other objects to airports.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

G'day Mr. Bean. I use Electronic Flight Bag to plot my flight plans including SIDS & STARS & update the FMS Data from Navigraph regularly. The Data Provider alerts me to any variance in the numbered runways in FSX.

Before I alter any data via ADE I check on line for the relevant airport and often find that they have changed rwy numbering, most likely due to upgrades, so I make the appropriate adjustment. Every thing has worked out so far. ATC recognizes the alterations and there has been no confusion with their vectoring.

Well, yeah, if you want ATC to hold your hand all the way to the localizer you will be fine.

If you would at some point in time like to fly a full approach you will find that there now are none for that airport.

You have also broken the code for AI to fly the approach. No worries about that, FS will default to the generic approach code that it uses elsewhere.

If you want to fix it, you have to go into the ADE Approach Mode and reassign the approaches to the new runway numbers.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Using the default GPS I have chosen the VORDME approach to RWY 29 at LIMJ using the GIKUT transition...

Capture.JPG

If I wanted, I could fly to GIKUT, couple the GPS to the autopilot and have it fly the full approach, all the way out to the hold on the missed approach.

Of course, I would be responsible for vertical positioning, the GPS would handle the horizontal positioning.

When you renumber a runway, without correcting the approach code, you lose all of this.

peace,

the Bean

[edit]

if you do not see a picture and see "Attachment 188726" instead, you can click on it to see the pic.......I hope. Stupid forum software.

[/edit]

Never argue with idiots.

Yes StringBean I had edited the Approach to the new R28 & I am in the process of restoring the ILS to the original direction. I will run a couple of approaches to see whether things are back to normal and will observe how the AI behaves with the rwy change.

ADE can be quite involved & takes some getting used to.

Archived