Outdated FSX airport terminal/gates

BryanButler

Greetings everyone! I have a quick question:

is there an add-on/fix/update for FSX Gold Edition (boxed) for airport gates? Every time I drag down the gates column of that particular airport , the gates are all out of date and don't seem to match with the real world ones. For example Flightbeam Studios' KDEN, I'm flying a Southwest jet and want to park it at Terminal C, Gate 28 (which is real world), but on the FSX drop down column or whatever it doesn't even have Gate 28, so how would I know that's where I need to park my Southwest jet? Or at least have it somewhere where Ultimate Traffic 2 have their Southwest jets parked at. It's not only KDEN, this goes for the majority of the airports on there regardless if they're add-on airports or not. :confused:

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no easy fix or 'bulk' update for this.

All I can suggest is that you search the file library for a suitable update for any particular airport you want. Some authors (both freeware and payware) will have simply made basic updates, like adding new/additional parking to an airport which lacks it, others will have taken a middle of the road approach and corrected taxiway layouts and added additional/corrected parking whilst others will have gone the whole five yards and not only created bespoke textures for buildings etc but will have used any available information to fully reflect the gate assignments at the time of creation. Its simply a case of downloading all freeware files for your chosen airports and/or looking at the availalbe payware and looking to see which best suits your needs.

An option you could also consider is using a tool like Airport Design Editor (ADE) to view the airport and its parking assignments. You can use ADE to make changes if so desired (notwithstanding any EULA of course).

WRT your KDEN scenery. As its payware check to see if there are any updates are available. Check also be that it is activated properly and that you don't have any other KDEN scenery installed that might be affecting the listing. It could also be that, when it was developed the real world parking assignments were different - posting a Q on their support forum might get you the answer.

Regards

Brian

Glad to be of help.

I should have mentioned this in my first response but it skipped my mind at the time:

Check out this web page:

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

The landing page is the freeware section. Near the top you will find a link for the FS2004 scenery page and below that a link to the FSX Payware page - a similar link to FS2004 payware appears on the FS2004 page.

WRT FS2004 scenery. Don't disregard it - most FS2004 scenery, especially freeware, will work fine in FSX. Iissues that sometimes occur are minor - for example:

A building or object might not show correct - common issues of this nature is a building appears OK in overhead view but the walls are invisible from ground level so that the roof appears to be suspended in mid air. This normally only affect FS2004 default objects - author created objects normally appear OK

FS2004 trees are generally not compatible with FSX - they show but have a 'box' effect around them that obscure the objects directly behind them. Also from above they look like am 'X'.

Sometimes there will be mis-match in airport height, result in the airport being on a 'ridge' or in a shallow 'pit' - something that is not restricted to FS2004 scenery in FSX - I have experienced it with FSX scenery as well

In all cases, you can use ADE to sort the problem, by either getting rid of the offending object, substituting it for an FSX object or to adjust the airport height.

Another thing to consider when using FS2004 scenery in FSX is that some files relating to ground textures are not required by FSX - these are any .bgl files which contain LWM2 VTPL VTPP and VTPX as part of the filename immediately before the .bgl (eg _VTPL.bgl. If you include them, they may cause problems.

Regards

Brian

Archived