atiumdiag.dll crash

Hello all,

It seems I have absolutely fallen in love with this forum thanks to the very simple, prompt and sympathetic help I get on here. This time my issues aren't always with FSX (But it does happen sometimes), but instead with many other games. What's happening is that a certain dll, called atiumdiag.dll or atiumdva.dll keeps crashing at startup of a few games, along with the exception code of 0xc0000005. These games being Sid Civilization V, AC3 and AC Revelations. FSX also crashes time to time with this error. The dlls seem to ATI specific display dlls and that's all I know about them. From what I can tell, it has something to do with overclocking as I tried reinstalling the driver and it solved the issue till I enabled MSI again. However I am not sure at all, so I'll let those far more intelligent than me judge. I have included a few logs and my specs below. I appreciate any and all help since I am at my wits end with this error. I am seriously considering just buying Nvidia GPUs from now on due to the sheer amount of AMD related errors I've had.

Specs:

Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.2GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB Diamond

5GB of RAM

Windows 8.1 64-bit

AC Revelations log:

Faulting application name: ACRSP.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f3bd0f2

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000

Faulting process id: 0x1ff4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1783329824f32

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed Revelations\ACRSP.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 6a9e2928-e426-11e5-8293-dc62144d836d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

AC Revelations alternate log:

Faulting application name: ACRSP.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f3bd0f2

Faulting module name: atiumdva.dll, version: 8.14.10.533, time stamp: 0x56d0af80

Fault offset: 0x00035209

Faulting process id: 0x26ec

Faulting application start time: 0x01d178329a0e0808

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed Revelations\ACRSP.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atiumdva.dll

Report Id: da6c3259-e425-11e5-8293-dc62144d836d

AC3 log:

Faulting application name: AC3SP.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5155b7ef

Faulting module name: atiumdag.dll, version: 9.14.10.1001, time stamp: 0x52a2351d

Fault offset: 0x0004cc76

Faulting process id: 0x3868

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1782d27320e18

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed 3\AC3SP.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed 3\atiumdag.dll

Report Id: 6724940f-e420-11e5-8292-e90bf13ed15c

AC3 alternate log:

Faulting application name: AC3SP.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5155b7ef

Faulting module name: atiumdva.dll_unloaded, version: 8.14.10.533, time stamp: 0x56d0af80

Fault offset: 0x0004cc70

Faulting process id: 0x2ff8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1782e307eb002

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed 3\AC3SP.exe

Faulting module path: atiumdva.dll

Report Id: 712a8449-e421-11e5-8292-e90bf13ed15c

Hi,

First a quick comment regarding the .dll files - Often you will have multiple versions of a .dll file. There will normally be a default OS version (either 32-bit And/OR 64-bit and sometimes applications/games will also install their own version. To illustrate this, from what you have posted, you can see that steam version of ASR3 has installed its own version of the atiumdag.dll (see the 2nd and 3rd log entries - look at the faulting module path info.)

Determining which version of the file is at fault can be difficult and can be caused by an OS issue or 3rd party issue (like DX) or by the game version itself.

The first thing I always do in this type of situation it to run the System File Check (SFC) utility - a windows in-built tool. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible, either from the restore partition or via the internet.

Second would be to ensure that the latest version of DX is installed.

Third would be to ensure that the latest version of the GPU driver is installed.

Forth would be to manually update/refresh the steam client software.

The last 3 options should be easy to do without any further advice - so I will just give instructions on how to run/use SFC:

WARNING If you have modified your system files (including Windows DLL files) running sfc may, if errors are found, revert the some of the system files back to the default state and thus may impact on any other apps/programmes you have installed. In my experience most of the time the affected programme takes longer to open as it has to re-write information to the appropriate .dll file. In rare cases it may result in having to re-install the affected software (although I have never had to do this myself). I strongly recommend you backup any important data before hand and run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to Start > Run, type CMD and then click OK.

The resulting window should show an entry similair to this - C:\Users\youracctname>

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter

If you just want to verify only type sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a list of any errors found.

If you want to find and repair errors type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the message stated above. If is also worth noteing that you may have to run the utiltiy several times to fix all the problems. If the first run found multiple problems and states that it was unable to fix some of them, rerun SFC again. This is because one of the un-repaired problem file probably relies on one of the now fixed files to run correctly.

If SFC still fails to repair all issues you can try the following utility which can be downloaded from http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

Another option would be to visit the MS website and manually download and install the latest version of the .dll.

Regards

Brian

Best to uninstall the AMD/ATI video driver, reboot, then reinstall the newest version.

HOW TO UNINSTALL AMD\ATI DRIVERS FROM A WINDOWS SYSTEM:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Though I think there's been improvements, there was a period when AMD/ATI driver installation software was awful, with many problems both installing and removing. The lads in India were not earning their pay.

Hi,

First a quick comment regarding the .dll files - Often you will have multiple versions of a .dll file. There will normally be a default OS version (either 32-bit And/OR 64-bit and sometimes applications/games will also install their own version. To illustrate this, from what you have posted, you can see that steam version of ASR3 has installed its own version of the atiumdag.dll (see the 2nd and 3rd log entries - look at the faulting module path info.)

Determining which version of the file is at fault can be difficult and can be caused by an OS issue or 3rd party issue (like DX) or by the game version itself.

The first thing I always do in this type of situation it to run the System File Check (SFC) utility - a windows in-built tool. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible, either from the restore partition or via the internet.

Second would be to ensure that the latest version of DX is installed.

Third would be to ensure that the latest version of the GPU driver is installed.

Forth would be to manually update/refresh the steam client software.

The last 3 options should be easy to do without any further advice - so I will just give instructions on how to run/use SFC:

WARNING If you have modified your system files (including Windows DLL files) running sfc may, if errors are found, revert the some of the system files back to the default state and thus may impact on any other apps/programmes you have installed. In my experience most of the time the affected programme takes longer to open as it has to re-write information to the appropriate .dll file. In rare cases it may result in having to re-install the affected software (although I have never had to do this myself). I strongly recommend you backup any important data before hand and run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to Start > Run, type CMD and then click OK.

The resulting window should show an entry similair to this - C:\Users\youracctname>

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter

If you just want to verify only type sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a list of any errors found.

If you want to find and repair errors type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the message stated above. If is also worth noteing that you may have to run the utiltiy several times to fix all the problems. If the first run found multiple problems and states that it was unable to fix some of them, rerun SFC again. This is because one of the un-repaired problem file probably relies on one of the now fixed files to run correctly.

If SFC still fails to repair all issues you can try the following utility which can be downloaded from http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

Another option would be to visit the MS website and manually download and install the latest version of the .dll.

Thank you for your very detailed answer. I tried using sfc, and it detected a corrupted DLL under AMD64 but was unable to fix it. Afterwards, I used sfcfix and it detected and fixed the file and it found the corrupted dll and fixed it. However I still can't get past the "Inspired by historical events" screen in AC3. However, now it crashes on atiumdag.dll_unloaded, instead of the regular dll. I've also found a rather interesting quirk, the multiplayer exe of AC3 launches fine. Does this mean anything?

Hello,

First, uninstall the card driver with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), then install the last 15.12 ATI Driver. Uninstall MSI,and overclock with the AMD Radeon Settings. If the crashes continues disable AMD External Events Utility in services.

Hello,

First, uninstall the card driver with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), then install the last 15.12 ATI Driver. Uninstall MSI,and overclock with the AMD Radeon Settings. If the crashes continues disable AMD External Events Utility in services.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, it did nothing.

I would suggest that the problem lies directly with the Steam App or the AC3 install. Have you tried refreshing the Steam app itself. I suggest going to the Steam forums to find how best to do this first without having to totally re-download AC3. I have never had to refresh my Steam app install but can remember seeing a thread in the Steam forums on how to do it without losing saves, achievement stats etc.

You could also go to your Library page within Steam and see if you can force an update of AC3 to repair the .dll

Regards

Brian

I would suggest that the problem lies directly with the Steam App or the AC3 install. Have you tried refreshing the Steam app itself. I suggest going to the Steam forums to find how best to do this first without having to totally re-download AC3. I have never had to refresh my Steam app install but can remember seeing a thread in the Steam forums on how to do it without losing saves, achievement stats etc.

You could also go to your Library page within Steam and see if you can force an update of AC3 to repair the .dll

Thanks for your time. I fully uninstalled and reinstalled AC3 and it changed nothing. Non-Steam games also experience the same issue, so it's an ATI/AMD issue.

Archived