Multiple parallel runways

SamIsAHusky

Hey all. I am wondering if there is a way for FSX to use multiple parallel runways for landings? I am looking at KATL which opened a 5th runway a few years back. Under the old AFCAD, I would use the 2 outside runways 8L/26R and 9R/27L as landing only and the inside runways 8R/26L and 9L/27R as takeoff only. This worked perfectly because to my knowledge is FSX gives the closest runway for takeoff and the closest runway for landing. But now that KATL has runway 10/28 (set for landing only), how can I get FSX to use all 3 runways 10/28, 8L/26R and 9R/27L for landing at the same time. I'd like to see all 3 used to help with the traffic load but if FSX only uses the closest runway for landing then runway 9R/27L would never be used because its in the middle of the other 2. All runways are set with landing or take off only options in ADEX and are working fine, I'm just trying to see if FSX can use 3 parallel runways for landing at the same time.

I could just remove the landing option for the runway and keep the old method, but I just got MyTraffic6 and removed all the WoAI flightplans (brought my AI traffic out of 2006 into at least 2015) so my airports are MUCH busier and I really need that extra runway for landing so there are fewer go-arounds and traffic can flow smoother. With the 5th runway not in use, I watched an incoming flight go-around 3 times before FSX removed the plane altogether.

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

You might want to look at- http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=96100

peace,

the Bean

That file wants to remove the new Concourse F... I'm not looking to remove much needed gate space. I'm asking if FSX can use 3 parallel runways at the same for landing.

That file is from 2007, calls Concourse F a commuter terminal when it is actually the new international concourse and wants to overcrowd concourse E. My question has nothing to do with parking. I currently have all 5 runways active and all are available, my question is that FSX will force a plane to land at the closest, most appropriate runway so the new runway 10 being outside of runway 9R/27L FSX would never use it for landing because it would no longer be the closest. FSX is sending all inbound to 10/28 and 8L/26R for landing and ignores 9R/27L even though all 3 are set as landing only. I'm looking to see if there is a way that FSX can ignore the "closest runway" rule.

I've already got "KATL - Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport - Version 1.31" on AVSim by Erik Ingram released on August 12, 2013. That has all the runways added with proper ILS and Approach. But FSX is still ignoring 9R/27L for the reason stated above.

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

I was not necessarily suggesting you use that file, rather you look at it and see how Jim set up ATL.

In the file you posted, the author gives some details in the information on whats new about using all 5 runways saying:

"If I use the User Airplane as the example it also applies to the AI Traffic. You are approaching KATL in a plane that has a landing (empty weight) of less then 75,000 lbs. That could be a B737-300, B717, some Airbus's or a commuter such as a CRJ. Based on these type weights ATC is going to vector you/AI Plane to the most outer 2 runways which are 10/28 or 8L/26R which is also based on the direction you are coming from. At this point you can decline the outer 2 runways and ask for any of the 5 parallel runways and ATC will honor your request.

Most of the arrivals are coded for the outer 2 runways BUT as the User/AI Plane becomes larger in size (weight), ATC is going to vector you to one of the inner 3 runways (closest to the Main Terminal).

Let me interject arguably that most believe inner parallel runways are departure and outer parallel runways are arrival only. This is not so at certain times for KATL due to the amount of arrivals and departures that must be handled in a 16 hour day. For the many years that I flew into KATL it was very common for ATC to vector me to the inner runways as much as the outer runways when the arrival load was at peak times.

I don't have the room here to explain the arrival/departure pack system in use at KATL but what you will see with my KATL is more realistic then just 2 outer arrival runways (by FS9/FSX default) in use all the time."

What I'm seeing with the runways is ALL planes regardless of size are being sent to the 2 outer runways for arrivals and FSX is ignoring the middle arrival runway. What I'm looking for is how this is corrected. The author states he has made tutorials about how to do this, but after extensive searching in many forums I am unable to locate the tutorials. This file was published in 2007, so I am guessing they have all been removed due to age. The procedure would still be the same so I'm looking for either someone who knows how this is done, or knows where those tutorials are still in existence. Inside the file is a bunch of BGL files. Since I have spent a great amount of time updating the AFCAD file I currently have to meet my needs, I do not want to overwrite it or bring in files from another source into the AFCAD I have to avoid errors. If there is a procedure to follow to allow FSX to use all runways regardless of which is closer, then that's what I need to know so I can implement it into the AFCAD I already have.

I looked at the runway properties in the AFCAD suggested. Whats been done is making runway 8L/26R shorter and as a grass runway, made 9L/27R longer, made 10/28 shorter, and added or extended blast-pads for almost all the runways. The problem I will have with this, aside from appearance of a grass runway where an active landing runway is, would be with the extension or shortening of the runways would require extensive taxiway reworks to match the runways. I don't think that method will work for me. I don't like the idea of landing a heavy jet on a grass runway that's half the length it should be. I'd over run the runway and crash, or land short of where FSX thinks the runway is and crash then also. With FSPassengersX active, so must crash detection be active. If that's the only option available, I'll just close runway 10/28 to all traffic and hope I don't have to go-around too many times with the AI Traffic. RC4 usually does a pretty good job about aircraft spacing anyway. Any other options or suggestions?

Load it up in the sim and see if there is a grass runway.

Jim hangs out at FSDeveloper.com, if you want to talk to him.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Load it up in the sim and see if there is a grass runway.

Jim hangs out at FSDeveloper.com, if you want to talk to him.

peace,

the Bean

I placed the AFCAD in FSX and removed my KATL scenery and AFCAD and the result was worse. Although all the runways looked like runways, FSX used ONLY runway 9R/27L for all landing aircraft, ignoring both 10/28 and 8L/26R which were also set for landing only. With the AFCAD I had already, only runway 8L/26R was ignored. I think I may just close 10/28 on my first AFCAD. I'll post a screen shot of the traffic using Jim's AFCAD.

Suggested AFCAD.jpg

I'll try reaching Jim on FSDeveloper, but at this point I'm not holding my breath on getting this resolved. Its been long known that FSX will use the closest and most reasonable runway for AI Traffic but I figured since FSX came out 10 years ago, someone found a solution that worked for this. It's better to have 2 working runways than only 1 working.

Archived