Flight Tuning

tweedy

I'm struggling to figure why my Pilatus PC 12 (recently acquired) will not hold heading or nav settings. Altitude hold is OK. I've done all the research including support at Carenado. I've also had a look at some of simming mods which are out there for the PC 12 instrumentation. Carenado were helpful but suggested uninstalling Acceleration and/or Sp2 and re=installing. I have some pretty high spec aircraft including PMDG stuff and this is the only aircraft which gives me this issue so I am reluctant to start upsetting things as FSX runs sweet or as sweet as I can get it. I read in some forum that adjusting/increasing the cruise_lift_scalar to 4 or 5 in the aircraft cfg worked for them. What is this setting and what does it do? I tried it and it worked! But the downside is that landings are now a sight to behold with all kinds of interesting swings, dips and floats. I can live with hand flying but on long flights it gets a bit tiresome. Can anyone out there give me some tips please? I have an old system so don't embarass me by asking what my specs are LOL and I will be updating/building new very soon; not before time.

The cruise_lift_scalar has nothing to do with directional control. Strongly suggest setting this back to original value.

As suggested above, seek out known working comprehensive updates, then if you are still having trouble, come back and we will ask you a plethora of technical questions about your problem including asking for screenshots and videos.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks for your replies. Points are well made and appreciated. Been looking at this for a while now and tried various mods etc which have been forward by users, through forums.. I just thought there may be a cfg geometrical tweak to perhaps the aileron setting which I could maybe make without getting too technical (not my strongest point). Just to be clear (and maybe I didn't explain too well in my first post), when setting either autopilot heading or putting into nav (I have the RXP gns 530 gauge) the aircraft will bank to capture the heading/course, but it will go way beyond the setting and in most occasions but not every time, will attempt to correct itself and will over compensate and attempt again to make the correction although never quite settling and the aircraft continues to 'rock' laterally at the heading/course setting, albeit 'gently'. Even when hand flying, and on bringing the aircraft exactly to the desired heading or course and then switching on autopilot, that rocking motion will be present. At other times, with autopilot engaged, the angle of 'bank' will continue quite sharply and will fail to even attempt to return putting the aircraft into a dive/spin situation. The airspeed is always where it should be at the time. There is a button on the autopilot of the PC12 which supposedly will configure a half bank but pressing this seems to make no difference. Pv I take your advice about the cruise lift scalar having nothing to do with directional control which makes a lot of sense and I was dubious when applying the altereration but all I can tell you is that in flight it worked. But as I said it did play havoc with landings!

I believe you may be looking to adjust the settings in the [autopilot] section, not the [airplane_geometry] section.

Most particularly the lines

max_bank=27,14

max_bank_acceleration=4

max_bank_velocity=6.00

They are, in order:

The maximum bank angle in degrees that the autopilot will command either left or right.

The maximum angular bank acceleration, in degrees per second squared, that the autopilot will command left or right. (How quickly will the plane accelerate the bank angle over to the maximum angle. How faar you would move the stick from center, for example)

The maximum angular bank velocity, in degrees per second, which the autopilot will command left or right. (Maximum bank change [say 0-30° in 5 seconds] )

You might try changing those, one at a time, and in fairly small increments. Then test, if it's still not right, change the same one again some, test, etc. If not what you need, try changing the next one, a bit, then test.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

PLEASE remember to BACKUP any file BEFORE you change ANYTHING.

Pretty easy to do.

Open with Notepad or something similar. DO NOT use anything much fancier, like WORD or whatever, as they tend to add characters to the file that can make the whole thing non-functional.

You can do this while the sim is running, and the plane is loaded and flying. Make your change(s), ensure you then SAVE the aircraft.cfg file, then reload the plane. You can do this by either the RELOAD Aircraft buton setting in the Controls menu, or by selecting another plane, then going back to the test plane.

It takes a little while, but it's the fastest, safest way to do it, I believe. The RELOAD AIRCRAFT button (which must be set by the user. There is NO default assignment. I use a joystick button), I have found, is the quickest, easiest, most reliable method.

Edit: I am not sure about FSX, but I know that in FS9, you had to make certain the AI traffic was turned OFF before trying this all. Otherwise, due to the way it loads "stuff" into memory, the results can be "unpredictable". I do the same thing in FSX. Turn off all airplanes, ground vehicles ships, you name it.

Just head's-up...PSB

I am not trying to be insulting, but I don't know how much YOU know about this whole procedure. If you are familiar with it, just ignore the detailed instructions. But not everyone IS familiar.

Does this help at all? I tend to ramble...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pat

thank you very much for your suggestions. I've been trying all kinds of things including your help. I may have hit on something. I have saitek yoke and two throttle quadrants. I also have the paid up FSUIPC. I have always as a matter of choice, disabled all my controllers in the sim and ran them direct through FSUIPC. I find I can get more accurate settings and button control by doing this. That includes my pedals. Usually, all of the settings work fine for most if not all of my aircraft. I have all the usual axis assigned through FSUIPC and in the PC 12s case that included setting trim on one of the quadrant's axis. During flight testing I found that working the trim never felt quite right somehow, I could rarely get it to sit where it should be and moving it caused the aircraft to dip and rise pretty eratically. So, as a kinda last resort, I disabled the axis on my quadrant and noticed a big improvement. Going a step further I re installed the aircraft still using FSUIPC for settings but left out the trim. Now done a couple of flights and things seem to be OK........time will tell ofcurse. But thanks again to everyone who were kind enough to give me some useful tips which I am grateful for. Bill

Archived