Windows 10 or stay with 7

1redbarron

FSX Gold Edition for Windows

Not long after Windows 10 came out I downloaded and installed the free upgrade. Apart from not liking the look of it and finding it a pain to navigate around it also played havoc with FSX. Don't ask me what it did as I can't now remember, I just know it didn't like it and wouldn't run smoothly which resulted in me using the option to revert back to Windows 7 within the Microsoft time scale.

Now several months on and I suspect many updates later from Microsoft I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 again. I am however a little reluctant, because if I upgrade and still find FSX will not run smoothly then I am stuck with it unless of course I reinstall Windows 7, which is a road I don't particularly wan to go down. I only have the one PC.

So if anyone can reassure me then it would be appreciated. My system spec is below. Thank you

As for changing the look of Windows 10 to Windows 7 for those that prefer it, a relative put me onto this. http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/download.asp

:pilot:

Windows 7 Home 64bit - 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler

16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

There are a large number of threads in the forum regarding FSX and W10 upgrade experiences. Look at those to see what problems have been encountered and the various fixes available. Many users, myself included, encountered no problems whatsoever upgrading. That said, many of the issues encountered, including those not related to FSX) are easily resolved and most of them can actually be avioded with a little prep work.

As stated, I have just upgraded my W8.1 rig to W10 with no problems whatsoever regarding the running of FSX - I did, however, had to re-install some payware items - strangely all were Justflight products. For prep I did (and will again when I upgrade my other laptop early next year) the following:

1. Ran Windows Update (WU) for the latest updates for the current version (W8.1 in my case).

2. Ran update for the video card, installing the latest driver available - most card manufacturers have caught up and many of the latest drivers are W7/8/10 compliant.

3. Backed up a complete copy of the FSX directory and associated FSX files found in the Docs, Users Appdata and Prgram Data.

4. As my w8.1 rig, unlike my W7 ring, is not solely used for FSX I also backed up other important stuff.

When it came to actually upgrading I didn't use the WU provided option. Instead I got the W10 upgrade direct from MS - see this guide. I also choose to 'upgrade' keeping 'personal files and app' over doing a completely new install.

WRT your concerns about being able to go back to W7 this guide might offer an solution.

Read through it to find out how to clone your W7 OS (or complete HDD, including FSX if you have a suitably sized external HDD or cloud storage space to backup to) and create a W7 rescue disk. You should then be able to re-install W7 if needs be. You can also download the W7 ISOs from a number of sites, including MS. If you don't have your W7 product key readily available there are a number of tools available that can find keys of installed software- just do a google search for product key finder.

Regards

Brian

I ran FSX Acceleration for several years on Windows 8 and 8.1, and recently upgraded to Windows 10. Haven't seen any problem at all.

But, then again my system is probably not typical. I have the OS (of course) and everything except FSX on my C: drive, FSX itself is on my F: drive and my photoscenery is on the E: drive. All 3 drives are 1 TB HDDs. Apart from somewhat long load times, due to large scenery and the mechanical HDDs, everything runs fine. Next step SSDs....

Jorgen

Thanks everyone.

janetfdoss

Not sure where you get that my system spec is low. OK, it might not be the best out there, but it's certainly no slouch either. :pilot:

Windows 7 Home 64bit - 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler

16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

It's not just Windows 10 you're getting, but you will also be forced to DX 12 as well. I'm having a nightmare of a time with aircraft with HD textures, notably Carenado's HD line of aircraft. They usually load with a bare green texture and many interior textures fail to load as well. Nvidia likely does not have a driver ready to live with DX 12 for my GTX 680

overclocking to at least 4.3 changes much.(4790k)

The 4790K runs at 4.4Ghz by default. No overclock is necessary unless you want something higher then that.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived