a fix for the default b737_800 2D fuel valve swirches.

il88pp

Because of a question by user GridNorth I did some investigating into the default FSX Boeing 737, the b737_800.

The fuel flow Switch on the 2D panel.

I'll try to keep it brief. For the whole investigation, see post 6 in this thread, and onward.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?295474-737-Default-Cockpit

The fuel valves on the 2D panel behave rather strangely.

From the .xml I saw the switch was linked to K:event

K:TOGGLE_MASTER_STARTER_SWITCH

That was a K:event I could not find anything about.

After some tests (see the thread I linked) I concluded:

To conclude about the 737-800 2D fuel valve.

-the first time clicking it has no effect.

After flicking it up once:

-switch effects: fuel valve, mixture, and starter. All 3 together.

-Will start the engine from almost any situation.

-is linked to K: Event- K:TOGGLE_MASTER_STARTER_SWITCH

-2D switch does not respond to "Engine-1 Fuel valve (open/close)" -- (my cotrol+1)

-responds to "Mixture (idle cutoff)", but only once. Then you need to start the engine by either clicking the switch or using the starter. Then it will respond to "Mixture (idle cutoff)" again.

And my initial advice was:

"I would avoid the 2D fuel switch, and not use "Mixture (idle cutoff)" either.

For switching the engine off I would use the fuel valve in the VC.

For switching it on again I would use the Starter in the VC Overhead, after opening the fuel valve in the VC.

The starter on the 2D Overhead had no effect as far as I could see."

I then looked into fixing it. Mostly because I don't want "Mixture (close fully)" to affect the 2D switch, and with it also the fuel valve and starter!

My goal was to make the fuel valve in the 737_800 2D throttle panel only affect fuel valve.

Also it had to be in synch with the VC and with the correct tooltip.

I found a solution. Will post it in next post.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, it is surprisingly simple to fix. A simple gauge edit.

I did this in FSX-Acceleration.

First, make a backup of 737-800.cab

I made a folder in the panel folder, called it "backup of 737 CAB file" and placed a copy in there.

With that safe, move the 737-800.cab to your desktop.

Uncab it. The result will be a folder on the desktop, called "737-800"

You can do this uncabbing with winzip/7zip but using cabdir.exe would be better.

Cabdir.exe is part of the fsx sdk, so if you already are using the sdk, use that.

Now in the folder "737_800" find the file: "ecu.xml"

make a backup of it, in the same folder.

then edit the file "ecu.xml"

----------------------------------

First thing is to change the command that is linked to the 2D fuel valve 737 clickspot.

open ecu.xml using Notepad.

use 'Find' to find:

TOGGLE_MASTER_STARTER_SWITCH

It is in the file twice.

replace the first instance with:

TOGGLE_FUEL_VALVE_ENG1

replace the second instance with:

TOGGLE_FUEL_VALVE_ENG2

---------------------------------------------------

The 2D fuel valve movement was linked to the original command.

You now have to make a change in the file ecu.xml so the fuel valve responds to the new command.

open the file ecu.xml again. To make two more edits to it.

use 'find' to find:

Turb Eng Master Starter Switch

it's in the file twice.

replace the first instance with:

GENERAL ENG1 FUEL VALVE

replace the second instance with:

GENERAL ENG2 FUEL VALVE

-----------------------------------------

The last step is adjusting the tooltip that shows when you hover the mouse over the 2D 737 fuel valve.

Open ecu.xml file.

'Find':

TOOLTIPTEXT_B737_MASTER_STARTER_ENG1

change to:

TOOLTIPTEXT_ENG1_FUEL_CUTOFF

And then 'Find':

TOOLTIPTEXT_B737_MASTER_STARTER_ENG2

Change to:

TOOLTIPTEXT_ENG2_FUEL_CUTOFF

-------------------------------

save the file ecu.xml

Done.

Now place the whole folder "737-800" in your panel folder.

With the 737-800.Cab removed from the /panel folder the 737_800 will from now on load gauges from your folder named "737-800" in the /panel folder instead.

Including your changed ecu.xml gauge.

That's all. from now on moving the fuel cutoff switch in the 2D throttle panel of the b737_800 will only effect the fuel flow.

And the fuel flow switch in the VC moves with it.

And the tooltip will show "Engine 1 Fuel Control Switch (cut)" or "Engine 1 Fuel Control Switch (open)" correctly.

Same for fuel valve-2

----------------------------------

----------------------------

Just a note on unpacking .Cab files.

With Cabdir.exe you can unpack a .Cab file, and you can also repack it.

So you could use Cabdir.exe to turn your changed "737-800" folder back into a file: 737-800.Cab if you want.

With Winzip or 7zip you can not do this.

Unpacking works, not repacking. Things go wrong if you recab the folder with Winzip or 7zip.

But, recabbing is not needed. Simply place the folder in your panel folder instead of the original .cab file.

Works fine.

------------------

------------------

Another note:

--->> The Starter switches in the 2D overhead panel are not functional.

The original 2D fuel valves opened the fuel valves and also engaged the starters.

So with that it was possible to start the engine using 2D switches only.

After my edits, this is no longer possible. The 2D fuel valves now only open the fuel valves.

For using the starters you will need to use the VC Starter switch, or a shortcut key.

That is: "Engine 1 Starter (on/off)" in the keyboard shortcut list.

Enjoy,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the thread that led to this Pat (PhantomTweak) also recommended an addon file that fixes not only the fuel valves in the 2D panel, but also the starters in the 2D overhead panel in the default b737_800. I did not test this file out myself.

I will quote it here, hope you don't mind Pat.

Another possibility is to go to Avsim (may well be in FlightSim's library, too) and look for b738panelfix_v11.zip. It fixes this and many other things.

To quote from the Readme file:

20.The 2D overhead panel starter switches now properly work and let control fuel start valves open and closed. - fix by Stefano Cerutti

21.The fuel levers in pedestal panel now work as fuel valve levers and not as master starters. - fix by Stefano Cerutti

Just thought y'all might like to see this...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I should maybe add something.

The new commands I suggested to put in the gauge are taken from the

FS2002 SDK gauge syntax description.

To be precise, I found them in the lists in file: xmlgau01.zip (File by Arne Bartels. In the Flightsim.com library.).

I mention this because some say it's fine to use this, but I heard others say that using older code/commands can cause issues when using I later FS versions.

I have FSX-Acceleration myself.

So far I have noticed no issues with the new version of the Fuel Valve Levers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simply to correct one statement you made, it is not necessary to delete or relocate any .CAB file.

The sim will always look first for any folder with the same name as a gauge.CAB file. If no such folder is present, then it will look for the gauge.CAB file in the ..\panel folder.

If it cannot find the gauge.CAB file in the ..\panel folder, then it will look in the sim's ..\gauges folder.

As for a current list and description of the sim's A:, P: and E: variables, as well as the command listing (K:events) use the online SDK found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526981.aspx

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

(For those of you who now ply the San Diego Freeway or other local freeway and wonder at my traveling at 80moh statement. In the 1960's that was about the speed traffic usually traveled on most of the So.Cal. freeways, even in the fog. Except on weekends when everyone was going to or from the beach of course. That's why 100 car & truck pileups were fairly common.)

Very handy link! Thanks Mr. Leaming! Appreciate the help :D

I am not HUGE on XML, but I am slowly trying to learn. I've pretty much got "how to" on making a functional Icon for a gauge. Not a huge leap, but hey, baby steps :D Maybe someday I'll actually make something useful...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived