Windows 10

Hi MikeO

I have to disagree taking all my years of experience. Even W10 NTFS is still not a good location manager, and fragments files all over the data space. It is still not like a Linux ReiserFS or ext4, the same for Mac O/S which is based on BSD, a sort of Linux, as these never need defragging. In fact I don't know of a defragmenting tool for these O/S's.

Yes it's getting better as each new iteration of Windows O/S is launched, and one does not really have to do it, but one will see a performance degradation over time. And the return is gained on the time spent, the first time you defrag a mechanical drive is the longest. Every subsequent run done say months apart, the time is measured in minutes, and the change is noticeable, especially for 10+ year old simulators and other software.

The only thing that should never be done is defragging solid state devices as I have said in my posts. The way bits are located in the memory cells on solid states is completely different to the way it's laid down on magneto mechanical drives.

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

You can disagree all you want, and no offence but your years of experience are meaningless. Everyone has years of experience with PCs these days.

Windows 7 onwards defrag automatically in the background. Doing it manually doesn't improve on that in any way.

For example, this is my PC right now:

http://i.imgur.com/kyPFZ4k.png?1

I've never defragged it manually, ever. It's been running for more than a year. Manual defragging is a waste of everyone's time and any noticeable change is probably a placebo effect. The only people that need to defrag are those still running Windows XP.

i5 4670K - 16GB - GTX970 HOF - W7

Agree to disagree. What you are referring to, as to years of experience is user level, using computers every day does not make you an expert. I have experience with university qualifications in hardware and software design, since 1976, possibly before you were born. And I run my own IT company. But so be it, you are the expert here today with your reply and pictures. This is an open forum and we are all entitled to respond. If you don't like it, too bad, we don't have to like it either and can respond challenging your response. That's the way of open forums. No-one is being rude to you or abusive, so accept that many can reply accepting or rejecting yours and my posts. Get over it. Go and get Diskeeper, Piriform Defraggler, Disktrix Ultimate Defrag or O&O Defrag amongst many other good products, and see how the MS status you post in the pic above lies to you. MS Defrag, is a very dumbed down and limited tool, a lowly subset of the full payware professional Diskeeper, and does not come close to what these mentioned other professional tools can do, far beyond the default MS Defrag. So stop sucking in that everything Microsoft is good and rosy and are on your side. Done, no more arguments over this from my side take it or leave, it's no skin off my nose.

Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703 x64 / openSuSE LEAP 42.2, Core i7 4790K 4.5GHZ OC, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming5 mobo, Gigabyte AMD R9 280X 3GB GPU, Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1.6GHZ mem, CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU, Zalman CNPS10X Shark Fin CPU Cooler

• 1 month later...

Archived