AMD build (oh yes)

Hello everyone,

Ok, I'm an AMD guy. Mostly because I'm on a budget, but I'd like to see them give Intel some proper competition. So here's the deal, you can see my current PC specs in my sig. I'm looking at upgrading possibly within the next few months. Here's the two deals I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1752014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1752012

Anybody have any info on the 9590? I'm sticking with AMD for sure. Yes, I know Intel CPUs are more powerful. Also I'll be replacing my power supply, any suggestions on that?

Not 100% I will be buying this stuff, if I do it will be within the next 6 months probably. Just lookin for some suggestions to up my game here. I also understand the 8 cores doesn't help FSX over a 4 core CPU, but I do run background applications. Right now I'm seeing about 10-13 FPS in Seattle with the PMDG 737-800. In Alaska outside Klawock airstrip in a default 172 I'm hitting about 65-83 FPS. Also running ORBX PNW and Tongass Fjords. I'm not looking for 100 FPS in Seattle with PMDG, that's just unrealistic. But a solid 18 FPS would sure be nice. Thanks for any help!

Oh! Something else I've noticed. The difference between all scenery and traffic slider on full right and all those sliders on bare minimum left is only like 7-8 FPS, in Seattle, in the PMDG. Does that sound right? I find it very strange that I can adjust my scenery sliders themselves and the difference between minimum and maximum is only about 4-6 FPS. Traffic gives me the extra 2-4 FPS. Seems like I should be getting a lot more. In default 172 in Seattle with autogen normal, scenery complexity very dense seeing about 22 FPS I think it was.

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2, BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600, ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Corsair H100i liquid cooling

Cant say for that chip. But after many years in AMD had to jump ship. Going from the 1090t to the 6300 barely gave many any real improvements even at 4.6 Gig, so I went Inlet and had a big performance increase. AMD will run FSX just dont expect the performance INTEL gives.AMD is not good at single thread aps like FSX and thats what lets it down. Im still waitng on AMD to give us a reason to go back but i am not holding my breath.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

You can get an Intel build for the same price or cheaper than that, (which you might already know.) The i5 4670k is 235$, a lot cheaper than the FX 9590 and way better performing and uses a lot less power.

For the power supply I see you have an R9 280 ,which requires at least a 700W PSU, as well as the 9590 being very power hungry. I would definitely go with a 750W PSU and Seasonic makes some of the best, but that is just my opinion.

HTH

i5 4670k 3.4Ghz -- Gigabyte Z97X-SLI MB -- Windows 7 64bit

8G 1866 G.Skill Sniper -- Radeon HD5870

Thanks for the replies. I've definitely thought about jumping ship. This build is pretty new (less than a year) and I think I'd be shot if I replaced the CPU and motherboard and videocard again lol. But ya, the 9590 is definitely a serious power hog. TBH that's why I didn't buy it yet, didn't have the budget for that and a nice high end power supply.
AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2, BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600, ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Corsair H100i liquid cooling

Archived