Which O/S XP or WIN 7 or 8 or 10 for FS2004 and new machine

tjamesbo

I got tired of the all the glitches and problems trying to run FS2004 on my Win 7 and 10 computers. I bought an old Dell Optimax off Amazon for $70.03 with a 3 Ghz dual-core Intel processor, 4 GB of RAM and 32-bit XP Pro OS, and now FS2004 runs flawlessly on my single screen 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Yeppers ...... why I never left FS2004 nor Windows XP. Hope you enjoy a long time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got tired of the all the glitches and problems trying to run FS2004 on my Win 7 and 10 computers.

Were these FS2004 glitches or were they Win 7/10 glitches?

For the great majority of users, myself included, FS2004 and Windows 7 run perfectly together. So far I have found only one glitch, which I believe is Windows 7 related, and is of no consequence; otherwise everything runs just fine.

The sim we both run is the same and the OS we both run is the same also. What is not common to both of us are our hardware systems, other software running, and the way we have set them up. I would suggest that this is almost certainly where your problem lies.

Dijvid

Yeah - ditto Win7 and FS9 worked fine for me as well as long as you realized some programs had to be upgraded to work with 64 bit architecture... WinX is giving me all kinds of issues and I'm still working through issues - might have to make a dual boot system....

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, what is WinX? part of DirectX, DX10,DX11, DXPlay?

Anyhow, as per my #12 posting, very happy & no issues. Yoke & pedals work & the loadings do seem a lot faster with all 4 of my installs.

Re the programs that had to be upgraded to work with 64bit architecture.. ??

I'm running a combination of 32 & 64bit stuff. Obviously, my Windows 10 is 64bit, my Office 2013 is 32bit, the sims are 32bit, why should there be any issues with running 32bit programs with a 64bit OS?

The only thing not working with my Windows 10 sim laptop (updated from Windows 7) is the webcam. BUT, as it is a 'house brand' laptop with a generic no-name webcam of sorts, I'm not concerned at all. All works on my HP laptop that went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Yep - X = 10

Yeah - there are still some 16 bit installers out there which don't run on 64... I'm not sure if that's my issue but the Flight1 wrappers on my old Dreamfleet products (Bonanza, Baron, Archer, Dakota) won't launch - however some of my newer Flight1 products have no issue... My Dreamfleet aircraft were setup on this machine to run fine in Windows 7 x64 - yet they just crash FS9 when I try to use them under WinX... I haven't had a ton of time to sort everything out yet - but - I'm still plodding through it...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott

Check the version of the wrapper which was used to purchase your old Dreamfleet products. If it was Version 1 then they won't work.

I have the Dreamfleet Piper Archer III which I purchased when Flight 1 was still using Version 1 of their wrapper and I was told that I could only install it if it was purchased with Version 2 of the wrapper. Having already bought the aircraft I asked Flight 1 if they could arrange for a downloadable version to be put in my account so that I could fly the Archer again. The answer I received was "No".

This is the second time that a developer/distributer has stopped me using what I have paid for. Now you know why I have a very big dislike of any product that makes me reliant on the developer/distributer for continued use. I have therefore ensured that everything I have for FS2004 can be reinstalled by fair means or foul without needing to contact in any way, shape or form the source that I originally bought them from.

Dijvid

I recently ported FS9 over from my dedicated XP Dell tower to my wife's Win 7 laptop she was no longer using. Frame rates are in the high 50's which I never had on the tower. The only 'glitch' if you want to call it that, is that now I have way too much scenery. My smaller airports look like housing tracts with all the buildings and trees. The only setting that will remove them is to push the Autogen slider to None. Then my sim looks like a version of 2002. I can now fly the bigger airports like KLAXand KJFK with full right sliders at 30 fps or higher. Not sure how to remedy the smaller airports with too much scenery though. Anyone have any suggestions?

I recently ported FS9 over from my dedicated XP Dell tower to my wife's Win 7 laptop she was no longer using. Frame rates are in the high 50's which I never had on the tower. The only 'glitch' if you want to call it that, is that now I have way too much scenery. My smaller airports look like housing tracts with all the buildings and trees. The only setting that will remove them is to push the Autogen slider to None. Then my sim looks like a version of 2002. I can now fly the bigger airports like KLAXand KJFK with full right sliders at 30 fps or higher. Not sure how to remedy the smaller airports with too much scenery though. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post a few screenshots of your problem. I cannot see at all how you can have too much scenery

Archived