Spazzing planes

cab1994

Recently, I've tried to start some addon planes manually in FSX and the aircraft begins spazzing out and bouncing all over the place. They continue to until I reset the session. My best guess is It's the fact I'm on the Steam Edition of the game and they don't like that. It's only 2-3 planes that spazz out if I touch the starter. If it is the Steam Edition causing it, I can handle not manually starting those aircraft.

Anyone know whats causing the problem?

No. No default aircraft do it. I just started the CBFS Mosquito with cockpit controls. I've started almost every aircraft except this one with keybinds and cockpit switches before. What version of FSX are you on?

FSX Boxed Standard version.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I am on Steam, and have no trouble starting that particular add-on at all. Just flew it today, cold-n-dark>start/warmup>flight>shut-down.

Worked great for me...:confused:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 4 years later...

This sort of thing is usually due to a bad contact point or CofG value, does it do it on an addon airfield or a bog standard M$ airfield?

If you hit 'Y' then F4, then 'Y' again (slew mode) to get it in the air does it fly & land OK?

Thought - what level is your Crash susceptibility set?

I might not be contact points or ref datum or CofG. It may be that he modified the 'Moments Of Inertia' section to make the P38 'more aerobatic' (better handling). That is the probable and more logical cause.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi cab1994,

I understand your problem with this aircraft since following the thread I downloaded and installed per instruction, into FSX Deluxe Gold Acceleration DVD version.

I then Loaded the aircraft, accepted/ trusted the new gauges adding their entries to the [Trusted] section of FSX.cfg, loaded the aircraft to an airfield (engines already started and idling, props spinning), I then shut down the both engines (I use a keyboard combo (Shift+~) for quick engine shutdown, waited for props to stop spinning then manually restarted the engines, I did not touch the prior settings for condition levers, throttles were closed or at idle as far as my Logitech E3DPro controller was concerned, I then set the Mag rotary switches for engine start checked for parking brake set and proceeded to click the starter switch as shown in Zippys picture.

While the engines both started, the aircraft immediately went into a nose up attitude bouncing on the tail till leaving the ground and spinning out of control, exactly as what happens when a Joystick twist handle is not calibrated and Slew mode "Y" is activated, though not in this case because slew mode had not yet been used, nor were there any Aircraft config user modifications employed.

The term spazzing is a logical way of describing the situation though we might also call it uncontrollable pitch or spinning.

The issue seems related to the position of condition levers or something with the controller itself when clicking the manual starter switch.

I have managed to get the aircraft to behave normally once or twice after shutdown & manual re-start, though not in a consistent way, every sim reload the problem returns, a few fiddles here and there and normal manual restart is possible, but I have not yet isolated what is causing the problem to occur in the first place.

Perhaps some more testing will reveal a critical setting. I also note that as per the readme text, the Gauges are already in the Aircrafts Panel folder (this is OK for FSX and would not require the same gauges be installed also into the root sim Gauges folder) but if you have other aircraft using these Gauges then they may already be placed in the root sim Gauges folder, (this in itself may not be the potential cause because they are registered in the FSX.cfg [Trusted] section, for individual aircraft requirements and the folder/aircraft name. Maybe this is a conflict, I don't know, having two of the same gauge called from different locations (Panel or Gauges) might cause aircraft startup config conflict.

When I have a few spare moments I'll try to figure this one out, and report back if something procedurally significant pops up.

Hi cab1994,

I think I have a solution for you, after doing a little more testing, it appears that the issue is related to the Magneto Rotary switch position.

If you attempt to click the starter switch with Mags in the OFF position the aircraft will attempt to start, immediately sending you into an upward uncontrollable spin. Selecting L, R, or Both, position for both engine Mags will prevent this uncontrollable spin.

The engines should start normally and idle at 5% throttle, Mixture will automatically resume from 0% to 100% upon start, Prop Control levers remain set 100%, Mag Rotary switches remain to set position, starter returns to OFF position upon engine start.

Disregard most of what I wrote earlier (post #13), except that you make sure your controller is well calibrated, some controllers can show inconsistent throttle positions, my E3DPro had a 6% discrepancy, making the throttle 12% on startup. Unplugging/replugging the USB for the E3DPro fixed the throttle to 0% and re-centred the joystick so now when the P38 Reaper is loaded the throttle is auto set @ 5% for manual start. And of course not forgetting a to set Both Mags for startup, don't try to start each engine individually, if the Mag is OFF for either engine this will cause the spin issue.

Cheers Jethro

Edited by jethrom