updating my pc need some insight

I picked up a dell 3650 (specs below) and it worked great with fsx at around 15-20fps for alittle bit. then I saw that 50 or 60 fps is a lot better looking, and the rex textures is a game changer that sadly I cant seem to use, those high frame rates are almost imposable to get without everything cranked to low, and forget about trying to run rex textures.

so here is my idea. since the 3650 is a small case pc there is literally no upgrading the power supply or graphics card. my idea is to buy a bigger case to swap the guts of the 3650 to so I can upgrade the power supply, the processor then my graphics card. biggest question is how do I tell if I can swap the processors without a lot of headache? i figured getting a case and upgrading a few things was cheaper than starting from scratch and buying an entire new pc

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)

GeForce® 730 2GB GDDR3 Graphics Card

8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)

1TB Hard Drive

link to the pc I have if that isn't enough info

http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-3650-Desktop/product_2056935

You will need to see if Dell lists the supported processors on their website, or by contacting them directly. For better performance you will certainly need a faster processor, and better GPU. A second stick of RAM so it's running in dual channel mode would help a little too.

i just emailed them, so far i have found the same model pc that came with the i7 6700 instead of the i5 6400. guess i should have payed more attention before i bit the bullet

I'm wanting to jump to the i7 7700k if i can, then later down the road to a gtx 1080, although i have heard that's overkill for fsx so i been looking into the gtx960 to

There is a chance that the mainboard does not allow overclocking the processor.

Hard to find out for sure.

Specs of mainboard not always clearly given.

Looking in BIOS can help. See in Bios if overclock options are listed.

(Don't change settings, just take a look. Usually to go back a menu, or exit the BIOS you can press ESC (Escape button). ).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived