Reading gauges at night?

sfooobn

Hi Guys,

Getting back into simming after several years off, and although it's not quite like riding a bike, most of it's coming back to me as I fly. I'm using the Air Hauler 2 addon coupled with FSX (Steam) and flying Captain Sim B727-100F planes in a (modified) custom livery.

My problem is with the pop-up Garmin 500 GPS. It's got a nicely backlit LCD screen, but the input buttons and instrument face have a "night" version that basicly fades to black and makes it impossible to input from dusk til dawn. Same with the pop-up icons menu, but that's not as critical.

I don't want to limit my flying to daylight hours, so tell me, please.... is there a light switch to illuminate this gauge? I've searched the internet for three days with no luck, and if it's in my panel already, I certainly can't find it. HELP!!!

-Rudy Stubbs

(removed email)

No, it's a move-around pop up gauge, not inset into the panel. Moving it around the display has no effect. None of the interior light switches illuminate it. There must be a simple answer or this would be a common complaint!

Thanks, Mr Zippy, for the speedy reply, by the way. I've seen you help countless simmers in here. Hope you can point me in the right direction as well.

No, it's a move-around pop up gauge, not inset into the panel. Moving it around the display has no effect. None of the interior light switches illuminate it. There must be a simple answer or this would be a common complaint!

Thanks, Mr Zippy, for the speedy reply, by the way. I've seen you help countless simmers in here. Hope you can point me in the right direction as well.

This may be a tough nut to crack! Might have to search for a backlit GPS.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Interesting! I just tried the 2 types of GPS that I use in my 737s in the VC at night.

This is the Garmin GNS530

Garmin GNS530.JPG

This is the default GPS 500

Default GPS500.JPG

You may need to look around for a payware GPS and they ain't cheap! 50 bucks or so!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think it's related to that particular panel. If that's the Captain Sim 727 it just uses the default GPS. I think this might be your problem though:

Day=255,255,255

Night=4,4,4

Luminous=128,0,0

Specifically Night=4,4,4, those numbers represent red, green, blue respectively over a range of 0 through 255. 255,255,255 being pure white and 0,0,0 being pure black. This is your night lighting color so as you can see 4,4,4 would be nearly black. I'd try maybe Night=120,120,120 or if you wanted to give it a red cast you could elevate the red somewhat with maybe Night=140,100,100.

That setting is in your panel.cfg near the bottom, just open it with Notepad, change it and save. I think you'll be able to reload the aircraft to see the changes, so just do some experimenting and keep reloading till you get what you like.

Jim

Archived