Shimmering Water - DX10 - Why?

Mithras

I had to go and change my graphics card didn't I? From a 760 to a 970, with a driver update too. Now nothing I seem to do can stop horrible gut-wrenching shimmering. Change Water2 to Water 1 stops the shimmering, but I lose Rex texture and Cloud Shadows.

I really don't know what else to try - if anyone has suggestions, I love to try them!

I've changed the screen resolution, tried to use my old driver, reapplied the DX tweaks to the Nvidia Inspector FSX profile, messed with FSX AA and Aniostropic settings, changed the supersampling settings in the Fixer ... the only other thing I haven't done yet is alter the refresh rate or look at the Nvidia Card settings.

You know when you wish you had not bothered?! ? I get the feeling that if I just stuck the 760 back in, the problem would still be there ... because it won't go away ! >:

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Mmm, I was beginning to agree with you there. Just fly. That is a motto I should have on the door of my sim room.

I use DX10 and Steves DX10 Fixer, so its all to do with that ...or Nvidia Inspector... I don't know. But, I did just discover that one tickbox in Steves software says Alternative Reflection Model which certainly gets rid of 95% of the shimmering. So I can fly again ... and breathe again.

No more upgrades. No more upgrades.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, no, autogen is still flashing at a distance, airports, wind turbines, power stations, flashing like mad. Something's still wrong. I can revert to DX9 and the flashing goes away, but the water starts swirling again! What have I done?

EDIT: If Ye Twiddle Enough Ye Will Succeed!

Following a forum 'rumour' I brought up the FSX profile in Nvidia INspector, set AA TRansparency to 4x Sparse Grid Sampling (again), left the rest of AA as Application Controlloed and went to the top of the page to set AA Compatabilities both to Bioshock. There is something called Line Gamma? I set that on too.

It worked, no shimmering autogen, no swirling water - and a new Nvidia card. Phew. My wife thought my cat was about to die or something. No, it was far worse! :) My wife has also printed me off a sign for my flight-sim room:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/justfly_zpsjagda12b.jpg

She means it. JUST FLY! Don't upgrade, update or rebuild!

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived