Cpu or Gpu upgrade ?

Hello ;)

I'm really thinking about upgrading my pc but don't know if I should buy a new cpu or gpu.

Specs now:

Cpu : i5 4590@ 3,7ghz

RAM : 8gb dd3

Motherboard: asus z87 socket 1150

Gpu : asus gtx660

I get about 25-30 fps with the pmdg 737 +rex4 + as16 however no traffic and no add-on scenery or airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSX is largely CPU dependent. Much more so than GPU. Thus: Upgrade your CPU.

Having said that, it's not about FPS, like so many seem to think. It's about how smooth the sim runs. You can have 500 FPS, but if it's jerky, there's tearing, OOM crashes, whatever, that 500 FPS is meaningless. Nothing wrong with a nice 30 FPS, if it runs smoothly. The more FPS you try to force the computer to make, the fewer CPU cycles are available to run the computations needed for the plane's FDE, scenery pictures, you name it. Since CPU cycles are the heartbeat of MSFS's, you want to free up as many CPU cycles as you can.

Make sure your PC has good cooling, a decent power supply, and lots of HD space, as well.

All this help a little?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FSX is largely CPU dependent. Much more so than GPU. Thus: Upgrade your CPU.

Having said that, it's not about FPS, like so many seem to think. It's about how smooth the sim runs. You can have 500 FPS, but if it's jerky, there's tearing, OOM crashes, whatever, that 500 FPS is meaningless. Nothing wrong with a nice 30 FPS, if it runs smoothly. The more FPS you try to force the computer to make, the fewer CPU cycles are available to run the computations needed for the plane's FDE, scenery pictures, you name it. Since CPU cycles are the heartbeat of MSFS's, you want to free up as many CPU cycles as you can.

Make sure your PC has good cooling, a decent power supply, and lots of HD space, as well.

All this help a little?

Pat☺

I agree with Pat! I checked the specs on your GPU and it should be fine for FSX. It is a NVIDIA card and should do multi-monitors etc. just fine. You didn't intimate so I don't know. Are you using other games with this computer. If so, GPU might be more of a factor. If not, for FSX I'd expect your 660gtx to be all you need GPU wise.

I also noted you're using a i-5 4590 CPU which has a clock of 3.7Ghz. It has a 1150 base.

For my money, $320-$350, I'd buy a i7 4790 with a 4Ghz clock and turbo of 4.2-4.4Ghz. So that is at least a 10% improvement in clock speed. IT ALSO USES THE 1150 BASE YOU ALREADY HAVE. So it should be a direct replacement.

While you're doing that consider the speed of your ram. You didn't note what speed your ram is. Although FSX isn't hugely ram dependent faster ram, I'm told up to 8 gig worth, does help it run faster.

So I'd look at the fastest ram which works with the 4790 and consider whether the ram speed upgrade from what you have is worth that investment as well.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the reply!

I was also considering going for the cpu. However looking at the gpu while running fsx its always at 100%. When I get rid of the oc on the gpu I can see the fps drop. So I was thinking that maybe the gpu is bottlenecking.

In terms of the cpu upgrade I was thinking about going all out and getting an i5-7600k with a new a motherboard (different socket) would that be a good upgrade

?I really don't mind the sim running at 25 fps but when I go to install ftx global and such I'm afraid te fps will drop like a rock because when I fly in heavy weather it drops like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when I fly in heavy weather it drops like crazy.

Just so you know, there are two things that seem to eat FPS, and CPU cycles, moreso than others: Clouds and airport ground traffic.

Try turning the clouds and airport ground traffic sliders down a little (sliders slightly left) and see what effect that has for you. It might help.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived