i7 Processors

usb777

Wasn't sure where the best place to post this one but figured here get to any and everybody. Knowing my own budget I was looking around and still learning I see a newer i7 at least new to me the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-6950X Deca-core 3 GHz Processor w/ 25 MB Cache around $1628.00. Has anyone tried this guy out? If so how much of an improvement is it say to what I have now the i7-4770K. Though it is three times (or More) the cost. Improve frame rates like JFK, LAX and like I max my water and deal with freeze ups (not to often) worth that kind of money. Also, what might be a matching Motherboard I have the Asus Maximus but any Z27 work well? Maybe I should have posted in the Hardware section. Not trying to build a better mouse trap but being my favorite hobby. That is a months pay for me.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

It looks like the performance with FSX/P3D will probably be worse with the 6950X. See this comparison and pay particular attention to the single-core performance numbers http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-6950X . Remember that both FSX and P3D are basically single-thread applications. The single-core performance of the CPU is, therefore, of prime importance. And, in this regard, the 6950X doesn't cut it. While it's a great CPU for many applications it just isn't the right choice for FSX/P3D. You'd be much better off with a 4790K...see this http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-6950X .

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Ha! Ha! Figures that is even more money. Just how much better would it be? I would think that one should run four simulators simultaneously sliders max locked at 40 fps. No stutters, freezes, artifacts and KJFK smooth as a baby's butt.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

What I would do is get an i5 6600k and overclock that. I've read disabling a couple cores will greatly help increase single core threads and yield a better over clock. You might be able to get 4.5-4.7 GHz. Of course deliding the CPU you might be able to achieve an even higher clock.

You are okay with what you got. The old days of higher numbers in the CPU game doesn't apply anymore.

Cheers,

I respectfully disagree. Intel CPU clock speed is still what you should go for.

What many have said may be the best FSX chip so far has been the i7-6700K. Without doing anything it will "turbo" at 4.2Ghz and higher. I know of people who routinely run it at 5Ghz. and sometimes even faster with good cooling, they have not had issues. I personally am running a 6700K at 4.4 to 4.6Ghz. and have done so for months with no issues at all. And I'm not even using water cooling!!

Having said that, I'm already pricing for my next build with a i7-7700K. This is said to start at 4.2Ghz. and overclock very well. I haven't heard of anyone trying FSX with it yet. But I can't imagine it wouldn't work great.

I personally wouldn't recommend building for any CPU to run FSX that wasn't made by Intel and didn't achieve a minimum 4Ghz or higher in Turbo mode without over-clocking.

And if you're going to all that trouble with your CPU,. Make sure you're running the fastest ram your CPU and Motherboard will run as well.;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

So I am getting 3.5Ghz and what I am looking to do would be getting something that is 4.2 Ghz or higher? And this would boost the frame rate?

Mike G.

So I am getting 3.5Ghz and what I am looking to do would be getting something that is 4.2 Ghz or higher? And this would boost the frame rate?

That's one of those "Gotcha" questions! You need to realize there is a ton more at issue here than just frame rates.

1. When FSX was designed multiple processor cores weren't a consideration or even envisioned. They apparently assumed that CPUS would evolve as much faster single core processors in the long term. And in fact 8Ghz. single core processors were expected soon on the horizon!

They never even thought about 2-4-8-16- or now 32 core processors which totally derailed the "need for speed" of the early CPUS. They felt that single core processor speed was where the market was going. So they designed the products we are still using accordingly!

2. In today's sim world multiple core processors and hugely fast GPUS which also have a ton of ram installed are considered the norm. THOSE WHO WROTE FS PROGRAMS NEVER DREAMED THERE WOULD BE A TON OF RAM IN A GPU!! IF ANY AT ALL!

So we now have to deal with programs, FS9, FSX, Steam, and even P3D which are variants of what these people expected the world of super fast processors to evolve to. SADLY, THEY WERE WRONG!!

IMHO: This means we need to go with the fastest CPU speed and RAM speed we can afford! 4Ghz. CPU speed is, I think a minimum. And 1,600-2,400 or faster RAM cards speeds are essential as well.

Does that mean your FPS will increase? Probably, especially in heavy scenery areas. But what it really means is you'll have less OOM errors and other freeze up issues which prevent you from playing that game unless you set your "sliders" at minimum levels.

Isn't that addition to your sim enjoyment worth the extra investment?? ;)

Michael

That is exactly what I am looking for so with that if you read my signature what processor would help me the most without having to change the mother board and would I need to completely reinstall my FSX, FS9 and all the add ons AS, REX?

Mike G.

I used to think CPU cycles alone is what measured performance. But after I ran folding@home on many computers I learned it wasn't just clock speed, but the architecture of the chip. Lets put it this way. I created my own Area-51 for FS2004. I used to play FS2004 with a Northwood Pentium 2.4GHz CPU. My frame rates landing into Area-51 would decrease sometimes to the point of not being able to operate the aircraft in a proficient manner in large part due to all the buildings I had at Area-51. Now fast forward and I use an old Q6600 2.4 GHz CPU and flying into Area-51 now, my frame rates have increased substantially where I can actually land the plane without difficulty. Yet both the Pentium and the Q6600 were 2.4 GHz. It wasn't the clock speed, it was the architecture that made all the difference.

So with that being said, if you set a budget, look at the CPUboss website and find the fastest single core threaded rated CPU with a K sku. Then buy at least 3200MHz RAM and a Z270 model MOBO and over clock that sucker as far as it will go. Don't skimp out on the MOBO. Pay at least $150-$200 A great website to help you in the over clocking department is overclock.net Like I said, I did read that going into BIOS and disabling two cores could increase single threaded capability.

As far as Prepar3d goes. I thought that was multi-threaded and took more advantage of the GPU? At least I hope it does, because I plan on moving to Prepar3d since I've heard great things about it both in writing and in YouTube videos.

That is exactly what I am looking for so with that if you read my signature what processor would help me the most without having to change the mother board and would I need to completely reinstall my FSX, FS9 and all the add ons AS, REX?

Since you're using a 1150 based chip at 3.4Ghz, I suggest yo get a i-7-4790K. It's also a n 1150 chip and has a turbo frequency of 4.4Ghz. That's a huge increase!

While you're there, I suggest you check what is the fastest ram which you can run with the 4790 and buy it as well.

Michael

On the subject of turbo frequency of 4.4Ghz. How do I know If I am using that capability?

Mike G.

Actually, turbo kicks in as needed. However there is an easy way to monitor it. and that also applies to your system now.

CPU-Z is a free downloadable app that you can use to monitor your system, including CPU speed and many other areas.

Install it on your computer, call it up and it will tell you everything you're using, as well as the actual clock speed your CPU is running at any given time.

For example, under low demand your CPU might be running say at 1.5G. But when running FSX or any other heavy use program you can see the speed spool up to what is the maximum your chip will run on Turbo.

No O/C settings needed for turbo. It's there when you need it, up to its' design maximum. And being a "trust but verify" guy, I like to watch it work!!;)

Having said that, should you buy a 4790K you can overclock it quite a bit higher yet if you're willing to take the risk.

Looking at the 4790 wish I had bought that the first time. If I switched it out and providing I could still use the same Mobo would I need to reinstall my FSX and all the ad ons?

Mike G.

Actually, turbo kicks in as needed. However there is an easy way to monitor it. and that also applies to your system now.

CPU-Z is a free downloadable app that you can use to monitor your system, including CPU speed and many other areas.

Install it on your computer, call it up and it will tell you everything you're using, as well as the actual clock speed your CPU is running at any given time.

For example, under low demand your CPU might be running say at 1.5G. But when running FSX or any other heavy use program you can see the speed spool up to what is the maximum your chip will run on Turbo.

No O/C settings needed for turbo. It's there when you need it, up to its' design maximum. And being a "trust but verify" guy, I like to watch it work!!;)

Having said that, should you buy a 4790K you can overclock it quite a bit higher yet if you're willing to take the risk.

Not to sound lazy but I have installed the CPU-Z now how do I read and interpret it? I also have CoreTemp installed would it tell me the same Info? Anyway, back to the main question the just where does CPU-Z show me the Ghz I am using while running FSX?

Mike G.

Think I am answering some of my own questions. I looked some things up on google so I see the CPU-Z says my core speed at 3899.09 Mhz. I gather that is the highest it goes using Turbo without over clocking. Is that good? Thinking about Overclocking but need to learn how to do that without messing something up. My FSX runs pretty good considering how high I have the sliders and ad ons, AI Weather etc.

Mike G.

Think I am answering some of my own questions. I looked some things up on google so I see the CPU-Z says my core speed at 3899.09 Mhz. I gather that is the highest it goes using Turbo without over clocking. Is that good? Thinking about Overclocking but need to learn how to do that without messing something up. My FSX runs pretty good considering how high I have the sliders and ad ons, AI Weather etc.

Yes, that's pretty good.

As to overclocking, many people swear by it. I've only experimented lightly but I never found the risk to be worth the reward.

If I were you I'd just buy the 4790, pop it in and go to up 4.5 or so on turbo. Different strokes? :cool:

Michael

That does sound a little better. One thing is would I need to completely reinstall my FSX program that way? Second, after reading up on overclocking and looking at my build it does look intriguing just to see what it does. I Asus Maximus Hero I have seems to be designed for an overclock.

Mike G.

Archived