Is prepar3d worth it?

math341c

hello guys.

So PMDG is firing more of awesome high quality planes, Flytampa is making more high quaility airports and Rex is getting updated and updated. And my old fsx that is a physical copy of dvd from 2007, just can't handle these addons anymore.

I feel that FSX has just became too old for all the new addons, and the game is very unstable, it just works bad on the newest operating systems. I keep getting oom and oom.

I have a question for you that use Prepar3d. Is it working better? Is the game better to handle mutiple CPU, and will i experience less oom? I am tired of FSX now. The game is useless.

Is it worh to updgrade to Prepar3D the newest version?

Regards Math.

Yes. Totally worth it. I had the exact same feeling you are describing about FSX (and I was using Steam edition...). Made the switch to P3D and all I could think was "why did I wait so long?"

Literally the ONLY disappointment for me was that PMDG makes you buy their add-ons separately for P3D, so I had to RE-buy the NGX and 777. Other than that, I don't have a single reason not to make the switch.

Just know that P3D still has its quirks, and you'll still find yourself troubleshooting issues from time to time, but in my experience it has been easier to manage these issues with P3D compared to FSX, and the ongoing support and updates from LM make it even easier. At least now there is usually an obvious explanation for whatever goes wrong, as opposed to FSX where it felt like every day brought some new random error that I had no idea how to fix.

Just my two cents, but I highly recommend the switch to P3D, especially if you have the rig for it.

-Noah

P.S. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the transition to P3D. Having been through the rodeo myself, I might have some experience I can share with you. I'll check this post in a little while to see how it goes for you!

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

Hi Math,

I run both FSX and P3D side by side and they work very well. I can't really say that one is better than the other (personally) as I have them configured for different things.

However, I'm interested in knowing what add-ons you're finding issues with? I can't remember the last time I had a crash to desktop on my FSX install; it behaves very nicely (touch wood).

Regards

Dominic

I don't know what version of P3D you used, Andy, but cloud shadows, HD lighting (some other lighting things too), volumetric clouds and fog, and avatar are some things that FSX doesn't have (there are others), in addition to the improved performance.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Why do we have soooo many threads debating this subject? Enough is enough. If you like FSX, fine. If you like Xplane, so be it. If you like P3D, fine. But pullleeeaaase keep it to yoursef.

Did you actually read the original post in this thread? I don't see any "debate," but in any case, you are perfectly free to skip this thread. And if you look at my post it's not debating anything, just correcting some misinformation. The remaining posts are actually answering the OP's original question, which was actually ASKING for OPINIONS.

I suspect you forget that not everyone has been here to read all of the posts on any given subject, and there is often something in the question that is not easily searched for, so I'd say these threads are appropriate. Certainly if Nels and company think they're too much, they can easily shut them off.

So please ease off...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Why do we have soooo many threads debating this subject? Enough is enough. If you like FSX, fine. If you like Xplane, so be it. If you like P3D, fine. But pullleeeaaase keep it to yoursef.

Personally, I read each and every post on the subject! I enjoy it and appreciate the thought and experience of each participant. It is a community and we SHARE experiences.

If u r disturbed by such never-ending discussions, pleeeeeeaaaassssseeeee do not read them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P3D is FSX with greatly improved performance. There aren't any additional features (in fact some have been removed) but it runs smoother.

On it's first release, that might have been true Andy but currently that is about as far from the truth as you can get. Way too many changes and improvements and additions to enumerate.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I hadn't noticed many of these.

I don't know what version of P3D you used, Andy, but cloud shadows, HD lighting (some other lighting things too), volumetric clouds and fog, and avatar are some things that FSX doesn't have (there are others), in addition to the improved performance.

I hadn't noticed many of these, I'll have to look more. I know most of the default aircraft were removed, so that took out a lot of the AI. Real World weather is no longer an option, and I think the map screen could back a lot better.

But I have almost completely moved to it over FSX.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

The add on developers have embraced P3D and there are many more options for the user than before. There are several excellent real weather options available - AS16/ASCA being one of them. Some of the new aircraft are exceptional.

There just is no comparison where FSX comes out ahead.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Nope. I myself enjoy these discussions as I have all 3. For creating a commercial airline pilot experience p3d is the current kimg.

The thing about P3D is they didn't put effort into really modernizing it, just performance and a few minor things like lighting.

I don't know if anyone here used Flight for the short time it was available, but it was built from the remains of FSX technology, and you could see how it was different. It was *gorgeous!* The scenery, the aircraft, everything looked 1000 times better than in FSX, it was the way they marketed it that killed the poor program. If they had done it right, we'd all be using flight today instead of FSX/P3D.

2012-6-16_22-38-28-504.jpg

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Archived