Gauge Luminosity in FSX

familton

I have a panel with many gauges. Several of the gauges are from different .cab files. One set of the .cab file gauges are luminous and bright red. The other set is not luminous.

When I edit each gauge in both .cab files the bmp's both have Luminous="Yes"

What sets the luminosity? I have changed the luminous r,b.g values at the end of the panel.cfg with no changes. The one set of gauges are luminous with no luminosity values set in the panel.cfg.

What is the difference between Bright abd Luminous?

Can a gauge be bright and luminous?

Thanks, Bob.

To quote the ESP page on Panel.cfg files, which is close enough to the FSX information in this case as makes no difference:

Luminous specifies the color that can be applied to the luminous sections of the gauges.

Please note that there are 3 sections to the section of a Panel.cfg file. Day, Night, and Luminous. Notice that the luminous settings CAN be applied to the illuminated portion of a gauge, not WILL be applied. It's entirely up to the gauge designer what color and so on the illuminated portion of the gauge is.

To adjust the luminosity of a particular gauge you need to edit the gauge's XML file. If it's written that way. If it's written in C++ or similar, you are SOL. There is a sticky in the Panel and Gauge design forum about just this subject. It may be found HERE. You might want to read through it.

If the gauge is included in a .cab file, obviously you need to unzip it there-from, edit it, then re-cab it. There is a wonderful program to add things to a .cab file called CabPack v1.4 which can insert the xml file back into the .cab file it came from. It can be found in the library here at Flighsim, I believe. If not, well, Google is your friend :)

Hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks. I read Bill's article. I already have uncabbed both gauges. In each set of gauges the bmp's have Luminous="Yes". The one set is luminous and the other set is not. The gauges that are luminous are luminous with no Day, Night, and Luminous r,g,b values specified in the panel.cfg.

My questions are:

1) Why is one set luminous with no r,g,b vales set in the panel.cfg.

2) Why is one set luminous and the other set is not.

I do not see any night or day bmp's in the gauge either. There is only one bmp for each sub gauge.

Bob.

Sadly, I am no gauge designer. I think I've taken you about as far as I can.

I will google FSX Gauge Lighting and see what I can find :)

Wish me luck! This is new to me. If the section doesn't change the gauges colors, I am lost. In fact, my favorite plane has a few gauges that are too bright. Maybe I'll learn how to fix it!

Have fun :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived