Menu bar disappears

rvc68

Can anyone tell me what causes the menu bar to not appear when loading the default flight in FSX. When I right click on the screen a menu shows up with the "hide menu bar" checked (grayed out) and I do not know how to correct it. I did a repair with the original disks but that did not correct the problem.

• 2 months later...

I also have this problem and it's driving me mad. Yes, it works OK in minimized screen, but I want to use full screen, which I've done previously on the same machine. I've tried complete system install of both win7 ultimate and also win7 professional. I've added the apparently notorious automation dll but it's not worked. I added Acceleration hoping that might help, but no. I'll happily answer any questions

Any help appreciated

As possible solution to try is to edit the menu entries contained within the FSX.cfg file..........

The two entries in question are located within the [Main] section - they look like this in my .cfg file

HideMenuFullscreen=1

HideMenuNormal=0

Change the setting after the = to either 0 (zero) or 1

Based on how they 'display' on my rig 0 = true (or on) and 1 = False (or off)

As always, make a backup of the .cfg file before editing.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your reply. Since I posted, my troubles have multiplied. I uninstalled Acceleration and FSX and additionally removed remaining folder and contents in x86. I then installed 2004 and now this won't even start! Even though I've had it running previously. At this point in time I don't know what to do!!

FS2004 not starting is a very common problem resulting from a well documented MS action regarding the rollout of Win 10 and subsequent updates issued for Win 7/8/vista..........

Depending on what OS version you are using will dictate the required fix............

Tip: search the forum for threads about FS2004 not starting in

There is plenty of info out there regarding this problem and the various ways to resolve it

Regards

Brian

OK, an update. I am now able to run FS2004 perfectly OK (I think) in diminished screen mode, ALT and right click working as they should. BUT as soon as I go into full screen the problems start. If I right click, the HIDE MENU BAR is grayed out and unaccessable. If I hit ALT the sound gradually fades away and the display locks; the only way to get out of it is to hit ESC then close the game.

Is this a problem with my computer, or is it a game problem? I will be forever grateful to anybody who can solve this problem.

Max

Hi Max,

What do you mean by 'diminished' mode - If the screen is smaller than full screen size when in Windowed mode, you can expand the window to almost full screen size like any other window. When you exit the sim it will save/remember the new size.

To go to full screen mode are you using Alt+Enter and, once in full screen mode, then pressing Alt to display the menu bar - it should display permanently until you hit the Alt key again. However, sometimes if you simply tap the Alt key the menu bar will only be displayed momentarily - if so hold the key a bit longer until the menu is displayed.

As with window sizing, if you close the sim with the menu bar displayed the setting will be saved. There is no performance hit WRT frame rates when displaying the menu so once you have got it working why not leave the bar permanently displayed. Indeed, IME, the same stands from running continuously in windowed mode so consider not using full screen mode.....

Regards

Brian

Hi again Brian,

I guess I mean Windowed mode, but having just gone in again to try it, I couldn't remember how I entered it in the first place! But what I was able to check was tapping and also holding ALT; neither worked, and the only way to get back into the game again is completely closing down and re-starting. I know it may sound trivial but I need full screen mode, and also I hate to have the menu bar intruding on the screen, but if that's the only way I can use it I may have to get used to it - very frustrating. What's even worse is that I once had FSX working quite well on this same computer, brrrrr!

Looks like I'm going to have to give up, but thanks for your help.

Max

Hi yet again Brian!

OK, I've just been in again and found something very odd (to me anyway) if I press the ALT key the screen freezes, but if I continue to hold the ALT key and then press ENTER the screen reduces in size (Windowed mode?) unfreezes and has the MENU bar displayed. If I then press ALT _

+ENTER again I return to full screen with the MENU bar not displayed and still unfrozen - I can live with that! I'm guessing that's what you might have been trying to tell me all along and I just didn't get it; sorry! Although I had the 2004 disk I'm not sure I ever installed it, and I just remembered that with FSX pressing the ALT key brought up the MENU bar, and pressing it again got rid of it (all in full screen mode of course).

So now to have fun!

Many thanks

Max

Hi Max,

Glad its sorted.....sort of.

Yes, that was what I was trying to convey. You can refine your method by not pressing Alt at all whilst in Fullscreen mode but switching to Windowed mode by using Alt+Enter (i.e Press and hold Alt and then press enter) - this will eliminate the initial screen freeze. As stated in my post at #12 you can adjust/expand the windowed screen to almost full screen size and using the Alt key to show/hide the menu as you would in fullscreen mode.........

Happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

Could be you have something like "sticky keys" in Windows set to on.

That does unexpected things. For example shift+"

does nothing. But if you press spacebar after (or a letter) the doublequote appears.

Could be that fsx freezes with alt as it waits for the next input before continuing.

Win can have a shortcut set to change from sticky keys to normal. Press and hold shift+control.

And in fsx you often press and hold control+shift for a while. (while hunting for that third key you need.)

there are other similar modes (and shortcuts to get them). I have those shortcuts all off. I had noticed after shift+control, my keyboard was fully mixed up. Shift+4 suddenly set more flaps. Etc. All keys wrong.

Shift+control for 5 seconds and all back to normal.

Switching the modes off is done in control panel, near "keyboard and language settings".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In Search (Start) key in 'sticky keys'. Then click: 'Change How Your Keyboard Works'. (Control Panel>Ease of Access>Ease of Access Center>Makey The Keyboard Easier To Use). On page, under 'Make It Easier To Type' click 'Setup Sticky Keys' to go look at the options.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 1 month later...

Archived