Sub-par P3D performance with semi-high-end system?

coach0512

Hey guys!

I just bought a new system and, after installing all of my addons into P3D, I am sub-impressed.

Specs:

16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz

GTX 750Ti OC 1.3GHz

Addons:

Aerosoft A320/PMDG 737 I tested

Taxi2Gate KMCO

ASN

FTX Global

FTX OpenLC NA

In this situation, I was getting about 10-20fps, sometimes spiking to 25. I have all my sliders set to medium-low, and have set my affinitymash to 116; as suggested by other 4790K users. I have also heard it's possible my GPU could be my next bottleneck; but could it be that big of an issue on an ESP platform?

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Just off top of my head. I think it may be that 'DDR3' Ram. Latency. Especially if different sticks (ie: not DUAL KIT (matched)). Why not 'DDR4'? Every little bit counts with FSX.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If you are trying to fly at 1920x1080 then by far your biggest bottleneck is indeed that 750Ti. I have the same card in my HTPC and it's good for the lightest of gaming that's about it. Nothing wrong with your RAM. Outside of synthetic benchmarks you will not notice a difference gaming on DDR3 vs DDR4 or 1333 vs 1600. Even if the sticks are not matched, unless one of them is flat-out broken, they will all work at the lowest common frequency.

For a budget upgrade look for a used GTX 770 on eBay or similar. There's also a 4GB OC version like from Gigabyte which is useful if you like big textures (4096). This will suffice for 1080p@24-30fps.

http://www.vafinancials.com/v5/plugins/vafs_status.php?cs=svag9499&c=0

By the standards of today that is NOT a `semi-high-end system`.

I'd be looking at GTX1060 as a minimum, NOT a used anything.

And you refer to changes to the .cfg. Who changed it? You?

Are you sure that was wise?

Start with a clean, default .cfg, you probably stuffed a lot of things up with your tinkering. And ASN can bring any system to its knees.

By the standards of today that is NOT a `semi-high-end system`.

I'd be looking at GTX1060 as a minimum, NOT a used anything.

And you refer to changes to the .cfg. Who changed it? You?

Are you sure that was wise?

Start with a clean, default .cfg, you probably stuffed a lot of things up with your tinkering. And ASN can bring any system to its knees.

If you are trying to fly at 1920x1080 then by far your biggest bottleneck is indeed that 750Ti. I have the same card in my HTPC and it's good for the lightest of gaming that's about it. Nothing wrong with your RAM. Outside of synthetic benchmarks you will not notice a difference gaming on DDR3 vs DDR4 or 1333 vs 1600. Even if the sticks are not matched, unless one of them is flat-out broken, they will all work at the lowest common frequency.

For a budget upgrade look for a used GTX 770 on eBay or similar. There's also a 4GB OC version like from Gigabyte which is useful if you like big textures (4096). This will suffice for 1080p@24-30fps.

Thanks guys. I'm a bit pressed for money, and I've heard good things about an RX 480's P3D performance. Ideas on that?

Malcott is right, a 1060 is of course better with Pascal and all. But having flown with a GTX 770 before I can confirm that it can handle P3D with a few decent addons at a playable and sustainable framerate. Therefore unless someone comes along with personal experience of say, a 760Ti being adequate as well this would be the bare minimum you need for an upgrade.

While the rest of the system isn't cutting edge it can still be considered "high end" for many people especially a K chip which you can overclock with a proper motherboard. Despite its improvements P3D is still very much a CPU-dependent application.

CFGs are another topic altogether so I'll leave you to it. (Hint: P3D doesn't need quite as much tweaking as FSX.)

http://www.vafinancials.com/v5/plugins/vafs_status.php?cs=svag9499&c=0

I'd also look at kicking that CPU higher. 4.0 is on the low edge. Couple that with a limited GPU and you are asking for problems. P3D is MUCH MORE GPU dependent that FSX or ESP. You need to balance your settings to get the best out of both CPU and GPU.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Greetings All,

I bought an ASUS GTX 1060 and, since I have an H81 motherboard, idk if I'll be able to overclock. If I can, I have a Hyper 212. I'll look into it.

You should be able to go into your BIOS settings and easily set the CPU so that it stays in turbo-mode; that will get you 4.4GHz and (at least on MY machine) is cooler than overclocking.

Respectfully,

Brian

Greetings All,

You should be able to go into your BIOS settings and easily set the CPU so that it stays in turbo-mode; that will get you 4.4GHz and (at least on MY machine) is cooler than overclocking.

Respectfully,

Brian

Yeah, that's a thing. I can set "Intel turbo boost" from auto to always

There is a very simple way to check if your video card is up to the job.

Load your favorite airplane and switch p3d to windowed mode.

Stretch the window to (almost) full screen and note the fps.

Now reduced the window to something like 25% of your screen.

If the fps does NOT go up significantly (at least 30%) your video card is OK.

A better graphics card will bring you no or very little improvement.

On the other hand, if fps did go up a lot, upgrading is a good idea

Archived