Looking for a new home...

KCD

I have been flying for UAA since last spring. Specifically, I was their VP for General Aviation, and I managed their GA Hub at KPVD. I flew mostly light twins (402-c, 404, Chieftain, Aero Commander, etc.); however, I introduced the DC-3 and other vintage twins to the GA ranks as a commuter carriers, also the Dassault 7 and Fokker jets.

UAA, for reasons they are not sharing with others, are closing down while they morph into a new Virtual Airline. I've visited their new web site and can find no honest commitment to the type of flying I prefer (VFR, short hop, low and slow); so, I'm looking for a new home with a small VA who offers the kind of flying I prefer. Are there any of you out there?

I am sorry to hear that your VA is changing. Unfortunately, it tends to happen for one reason or another.

I would offer that you can look into Elite Air Taxi. We are a small VA based on Part 135 Non-scheduled operations utilizing business jets, turboprops and light piston aircraft. (We loosely base our operations on fractionals like Netjets and Flexjets.) We have the Cessna 404, Piper Chieftain and the Aero Commander in our fleet.

We are not a VFR VA since we offer passenger service on a non-scheduled basis. Thus our operations are centered around IFR operations. Of course there is no reason you cannot fly under IFR in VMC.

We do have an Operations Specification (OPSPEC) which is what we can and cannot do as a VA and is based on a real world OPSPEC. We also have a Flight SOP. Joining Elite is sort of like applying to be hired with a fractional. You must pass a technical interview (an open book written test) and also complete a practical (1 hour flight in the Beech Baron 58.) While this sounds extreme we have kept simple enough that anyone who downloads our primer and has a some experience can pass the entrance requirements.

On a scale of 1 to 5 on intensity where a 1 is a VA that is fly anything anywhere and a 5 is a highly structured VA with checkrides for each aircraft and driven by SOPs I place Elite right in the middle about a 3.

We use SmartCARs as our tracker which is provided to our members, have a forum and a DISCORD voice server. We are also a VATSIM Partner and encourage our members to fly online and earn their P ratings. (However flying on VATSIM and earning P ratings is not required.)

We may be what you are looking for and if so I hope you will drop by and give us a try. If not there are many other VAs out there that offer light aircraft options. Best of luck where ever you may end up.

Jim... Thanks for the lead, that site will take considerable study, but on the surface seems geared to heavies.

Zippy... Application already made and several weeks already paid in advance, not a bad deal! Thanks for the tip!

Ken, I want to give your site a thorough review, I'll be back to you.

Every body else... I'm still looking!!!

Hi Klee,

You might look into Platinum Airways VA (http://platinumairways.org/). They are light on rules and pretty much you can fly what you want where you want.

As an example, I have a Grumman TBM that I downloaded and found out that one of the liveries was of an actual aircraft I had worked on at KSLC in the mid 70's. I did some of Platinums grass fire runs with it.

Another plus is that one of our more illustrious pilot friends, Ron Blehm flies with us at Platinum.

Also, (this might be a stretch for you) take a look at Flatline Virtual (http://flatlinevirtual.com/). A good fellow up in Canada came up with an idea that is fun for some of us that are or have been in the emergency medical field. Flatline Virtual is a VA that does short haul aeromedical transports. Jordan Grenkow, owner/operator of the VA, developed a call generator for this VA. You start your sim, call up the call generator and plug in your location and then select a scene call or interfacility transfer (probably what you would want to fly). Do you flight planning as usual and then make the flights. Jordan has put a lot of thought into this and I find it fun and challenging as I'm learning to fly the helos.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy Turkey day, good sir to you and your family.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

You might also want to look into joining BVARTCC http://www.bvartcc.com/. Look at the site in general then look at the community's tab. Cape Air Virtual may be what you are looking for. We pride ourselves on realistic virtual aviation, both from the pilot side and also from an ATC perspective. Cape Air Virtual flies the type of aircraft and routes that you are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LZScout... It would appear that BVARTCC is immersed in on-line flying, something I will no longer do. I lost two computers to viruses within an hour a couple of years ago, so I do not stay on line any longer than I have to, and certainly not for the duration of a flight, even a short hop. I will admit that these people seem to have it all together, but I prefer to fly VFR and off line. Thanks anyway for the tip, twas worth a look.

KCD,

I fly for about 8 virtual airlines but I think what you need based on your specific requirements is Mountain Air Virtual airline at its link: http://mountain-air.org/

You fly ANYTHING you want and you fly EITHER their scheduled routes OR your FREE FLIGHT route from your desired airport to your desired airport.

You fly OFFLINE or ONLINE whatever you want.

This VA is in 11 or 12 year of operation and their specific rule is no more than 3 hours per flight. You can fly more than 3 hours if you want but only up to 3 hours per flight is counted. That will suit your requirements.

Also, you have choice of using their ASCARS or honest manual PREIP filing via their website. No ASCARS means you can fly offline and you can do manual PREIP filing via their website.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Hi Klee,

I too am jumping ship from UAA. I don't know if you remember me or not, but we spoke briefly on their forums last week about planning charter flights. I'm leaving UAA because of the 10 hr. rule their imposing at the new VA.

I also fly with Mountain Air. I've been there for years. Take a look, I think you'll like it.

Regards,

Jim S

Aharon & Jim... Thanks for the tip. I have asked a question about the use of piston twins, I saw no reference to them. If they are allowed, I'll probably be flying with you! Aharon, as you know, I've admired your screen shots for several years, this could be fun.

I have asked a question about the use of piston twins, I saw no reference to them.

I said in my previous post that Mountain Air allows you to fly ANYTHING you want :)

My screenshots came from all of my eight virtual airlines including Mountain Air.

Mountain Air allows you freedom of joy of flying above highway route one between Miami and Key West :)

Please let me repeat why Mountain Air suits you based on your specific requirements:

I fly for about 8 virtual airlines but I think what you need based on your specific requirements is Mountain Air Virtual airline at its link: http://mountain-air.org/

You fly ANYTHING you want and you fly EITHER their scheduled routes OR your FREE FLIGHT route from your desired airport to your desired airport.

You fly OFFLINE or ONLINE whatever you want.

This VA is in 11 or 12 year of operation and their specific rule is no more than 3 hours per flight. You can fly more than 3 hours if you want but only up to 3 hours per flight is counted. That will suit your requirements.

Also, you have choice of using their ASCARS or honest manual PREIP filing via their website. No ASCARS means you can fly offline and you can do manual PREIP filing via their website.

I am very happy with manual PREIP filing via website so that I do NOT have to worry about ASCARS software crap or problems. That makes easier for laptops or computers.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Good luck!!! If you have any technical questions, the Mountain Air staff members will answer whatever you ask in the VA forums. They require only one flight per month so it should be easy for you and you can find second virtual airline if you want.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Hi, Aharon, I'm signed up and ready to go. However, I've got some sort of bug in my computer (memory problem, I think) that causes all sorts of issues mid flight. And as if that wern't enough, I can't get Fsacas to run (probably a function of the same issue). I think I'll find some short flight, do it, and file manually just to get active. I'll add a note with the manual PIREP indicating why in hopes of understanding on the part of management.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived