3 Freeware Gems

BillD22

Here are some shots of 3 great freeware 1950s and 1960s era fighter-bombers. These veteran's of the Korean, Cold War, and Vietnam eras live on in FSX (they probably also work fine in FS2004)

They were frontline fighters during the 50's and early 60's but by the mid 1960's these airplanes had been mostly retired or relegated to utility missions although the F-100C saw frontline duty in Vietnam

[click on the images for a full screen view]

The Republic F-84G "Thunderjet" was first introduced in the late 1940's and saw combat service in Korea. It also served a stint as the Air Force "Thunderbirds" team aircraft before being retired in the mid 1960s

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

The Supermarine "Swift" was a Cold War era Royal Air Force and Fleet Air Arm fighter. Originally designed as an interceptor it ended up being mainly used for photo recon missions

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

The North American F-100C "Super Sabre" was a fighter stalwart during the Cold War thru the mid 60s and then went on to serve as a tactical fighter bomber in Vietnam

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

great stuff, bill! ive had that first one for years, and know about the second, just haven't gotten to it. but who's f-100 is that?

According to the documentation its the Sim Outhouse Classic Warbird Design Team model with various upgrades for FSX by different folks. It was just posted and I got it from Simviation but it's also in the latest postings at Sim Outhouse and may be here too. Not quite the MILVIZ F-100 version but pretty darn good and at an unbeatable price :D:D:D

ssvc.jpg

tfcammo.jpg

oh, heck yeah! I wish the darned refueling arm wasn't on there, but that's not huge. and sixty bucks???? that new one is gorgeous, but I wouldn't pay that for it if it did my laundry and made me breakfast every day. aint NEVER gonna spend that amount on payware (u reading this, milviz?)

u know, years and years ago, when I was one of the primary contributors of articles and reviews, I was asked to do one for the cwdt p-51d. it was a good product overall for its day, and coincidentally I just ran across it a day or 2 ago and reinstalled it into fs9. but not long after they sent it to me I deleted it from my aircraft folder because it suffered from blurry textures. maybe bad mip mapping. I used to have a hex editor that I would use to fix that issue on other planes. anyway, the review mentioned that problem as the one negative aspect of the plane, and nels never published it. cant blame him, but I had to be honest.

Phil Colvin

Three great looking jets, though i do love the F-100 ... wish i had the MILVIZ offering in my sim ... need a stronger PC to do that at the moment. Fine captures Bill ! Mike

Thanks Mike - I do have the MILVIZ version but obtaining it required - shall we say - an "off budget" expenditure!!;):D:D

Thanks for sharing these spectacular pics of aircraft's for the veterans that flew these planes Bill or grew up this generation. I like the F-84G as it reminds me if the T-33. I have always enjoyed the different military type of planes that flew such as The "Blue Angel"s", "Thunderbird's". Kenny

Archived