P3D usage versus other simulators

Wildthing

Here is a poll being done by Aerosoft in order to determine their customers' preferred simulation:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/115546-annual-poll-on-platform/&page=9

At last count, P3DV3 led all versions of FSX by a comfortable margin. What really surprised me was how low FSX-SE uptake was as compared to to boxed FSX let along P3DV3.

Here is a poll being done by Aerosoft in order to determine their customers' preferred simulation:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/115546-annual-poll-on-platform/&page=9

At last count, P3DV3 led all versions of FSX by a comfortable margin. What really surprised me was how low FSX-SE uptake was as compared to to boxed FSX let along P3DV3.

When last I looked, Aerosoft were publishers of software for games such as FSX and other playtoys with buses and trains, so not sure why they need a poll to decide if they need to develop for P3D?

Either they want to, or they don't.

If their sales figures indicate a prominence toward a sim platform, then SURELY it's as clear as night follows day that THAT is the platform they should be prioritising?

The only thing this is likely to achieve is precisely the sort of publicity their gaming customers don't want - increasing use of a product to which they are not entitled. The ramifications of that might not be pleasant - or profitable - for all involved.

Perhaps they ought have begun by polling whether anyone thought it was a good idea to even ask such a question?

Internet polls are infamous for getting hijacked. Gallup polls told us a guy who roof racked his dog would be the next US prez, remember? Wrong. Online voters approved Taylor Swift to play a concert at a school for the deaf. And an Internet poll for a new Mountain Dew flavor came up with the name "Hitler did nothing wrong!" Don't believe polls like that. The winner on the OP's reference is still a niche simulator intended only for training, academic, and developer use. Nothing's changed.

I think it is a bit sad that the total number of participants is barely 1800 people. For example, the license sales for FSX:SE number around 650000. I am not sure that the answers of 0.3% of a potential customer group is a valid baseline for business decisions.

I think it is a bit sad that the total number of participants is barely 1800 people. For example, the license sales for FSX:SE number around 650000. I am not sure that the answers of 0.3% of a potential customer group is a valid baseline for business decisions.

Why? It's not like the Aerosoft forums are a big FS gateway where hundreds of thousands of FSX users visit. Actually 1800 is a pretty good number of voters.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Why? It's not like the Aerosoft forums are a big FS gateway where hundreds of thousands of FSX users visit. Actually 1800 is a pretty good number of voters.

Because, IMHO the statistical population is too small to have any usable significance. I fail to see how a value representing less than 1% of anything is "pretty good".

But that may be just a feeling that I've been having for some time anyway - the flightsim community seems to be thinning out. Even reviews of mainstream products on the major sites get barely 5000 clicks anymore. And it feels like you always meet the same people on the forums.

Because, IMHO the statistical population is too small to have any usable significance. I fail to see how a value representing less than 1% of anything is "pretty good".

But that may be just a feeling that I've been having for some time anyway - the flightsim community seems to be thinning out. Even reviews of mainstream products on the major sites get barely 5000 clicks anymore. And it feels like you always meet the same people on the forums.

It must have significance for Aerosoft seeing they run the poll every year. It not like national security policy is being set from the poll results. It's their business, nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I thank the OP for the heads up on the Aerosoft poll. I wasn't aware they were running a poll. Heading there now.

Bye :)

John

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

Archived